kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals (Jun 23 - 25) | 19.00M ATSV | 18.44M ELEMENTAL | 15.14M THE FLASH | 15.00M NO HARD FEELINGS

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

The first film I remember seeing in theaters was Starship Troopers. My parents were hippie liberals who believed censoring things was for religious squares.

I mean...they're not wrong?

• Like 1

The fact that my most consistently well-performing tiktoks are comedic anecdotes about sneaking into R-rated movies shows that there’s still some interest out there for R-rated comedy/horror in the theater. Just maybe not among the right demographic that can buy a ticket :lol: 

Just now, Eric Wayne said:

Having got back from Elemental...there's some clunky stuff in there, but that is not the case animation-wise. So many beautiful details and legit trippy sequences that are jaw-dropping to look at. Every dollar is on that screen and it goes a long way to give it charm and help ignore some of its shortcomings. Doesn't help granted I got the Ruby Gillman trailer before this, which honestly looks only a level above a Netflix preschool show.

I’m finally watching tomorrow, i didn’t find the character designs super appealing tbh but the whole world building seems absolutely gorgeous and detailed, with superb lightning (something weirdly rare these days). 

Not watching the climax of Turning Red in a big screen is honestly one of the saddest things that happened to my life when it comes to movies recently, that shit is massive and jaw dropping, also brilliantly executed. 

Can’t say the same about most of the 200M budgeted movies i watched these past years. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

The fact that my most consistently well-performing tiktoks are comedic anecdotes about sneaking into R-rated movies shows that there’s still some interest out there for R-rated comedy/horror in the theater. Just maybe not among the right demographic that can buy a ticket :lol: 

They can’t? Teenagers used to find a way to watch Rated R movies kinda easily where i live, I always though the ratings was more of a suggestion because of this.

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I’m finally watching tomorrow, i didn’t find the character designs super appealing tbh but the whole world building seems absolutely gorgeous and detailed, with superb lightning (something weirdly rare these days). 

Had some of those reservations too and they are kind of still there (still, being experimental and not totally working is better than just being generic), but there's some legitimately insane bits of creative lighting and the way they use transluscence on some of the water characters is incredible. There's also some moments that are legit trippy and surreal, which you just don't see much in mainstream animation.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

They can’t? Teenagers used to find a way to watch Rated R movies kinda easily where i live, I always though the ratings was more of a suggestion because of this.

Same here. I watched Ted at 12 y.o. with a group of friends of the same age . The only time the theatre staff didn't allow me to watch an R movie without and adult was when I tried to watch The Conjuring at 13 y.o. (and at the end of the day I still watch it with friends of the same age, we just asked an adult to buy the tickets lol)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I mean they can't buy tickets for them, thereby increasing their box office earnings lol.

You know, I will say sometimes it sucks being in the minority on a movie. Either everyone loves it and you don’t, and it feels like a constant party that you’re not invited to :lol:

Or you really enjoyed the Flash and it makes it harder to laugh at the misery WB is facing as a result of their terrible decisions. Even though you really liked the movie itself.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Just now, DAJK said:

You know, I will say sometimes it sucks being in the minority on a movie. Either everyone loves it and you don’t, and it feels like a constant party that you’re not invited to :lol:

Or you really enjoyed the Flash and it makes it harder to laugh at the misery WB is facing as a result of their terrible decisions. Even though you really liked the movie itself.

It’s me with Love and Thunder. I know the pain.

• Like 1

Thinking it's going to be either NHF or Elemental for #1, the former had a solid start and has seemingly good WOM coming out of it - which is key for any comedy in today's day and age - and the latter has been trucking along nicely in the week thanks to it's own strong WOM and The Flash completely collapsing on itself.

70% drop incoming for that bomb btw, The Flash is done for.

12 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Me and Dominion, but at least that did well at the box office 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Wayne said:

Having got back from Elemental...there's some clunky stuff in there, but that is not the case animation-wise. So many beautiful details and legit trippy sequences that are jaw-dropping to look at. Every dollar is on that screen and it goes a long way to give it charm and help ignore some of its shortcomings. Doesn't help granted I got the Ruby Gillman trailer before this, which honestly looks only a level above a Netflix preschool show.

Yeah. I got that AND that atrocious looking Paw Patrol (I think?) movie trailer. That looked even beneath straight to Netflix. Looks worse that the Croods animated series. Also, Migration trailer which "showcased" the "great" animation in Illumination stuff... Which looked better than Paw Patrol and Gillman but noticeably lacks detail as well. 

17 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I know what you mean. 
I liked the movie, but considering it doesn’t actually matter in the grand scheme of where the films are going as they’re rebooting it - well it collapsing doesn’t really bother me as a fan. 
I guess that’s how a ton of people feel and why they haven’t felt the need to spend money on it. 

Lesson to any studio. Don’t announce you’re rebooting your franchise before you’ve released all the films you’ve made in its present guise. 

• Like 1

Just now, wildphantom said:

As I actively try and avoid full theatrical trailers for anything, I ended up looking at the floor for a straight ten minutes when I went to see Asteroid City this afternoon. 

Oppenheimer

Dead Reckoning

Indy

Barbie

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

...they're just trailers dude lmao. It's okay to watch them :lol: