kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals (Jun 23 - 25) | 19.00M ATSV | 18.44M ELEMENTAL | 15.14M THE FLASH | 15.00M NO HARD FEELINGS

Yea, I couldn’t care less what sort of profits a movie brings in to a studio that doesn’t care to pay or treat its animators or hard-working artists fairly. Box office, at least for me these days, is all about expectations, and keeping the theatrical model alive.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Just now, ChipDerby said:

Is there a reason you're posting this in this thread?

For giggles and sort of like because The Flash, Elemental and Spider-Verse are the big players at the box office right now. Sort of like why I’ve posted Across the Spider-Verse awful work conditions too earlier this morning. 

27 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Does the wide opening count as previews if had a limited run the week before?

Generally, yes. The Thursday shows at new/added theaters get rolled into Friday, but totals old ones are reported as a daily gross 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Yea, I couldn’t care less what sort of profits a movie brings in to a studio that doesn’t care to pay or treat its animators or hard-working artists fairly. Box office, at least for me these days, is all about expectations, and keeping the theatrical model alive.

This is why I think people going on about WDAS and Pixar needing to cut their budgets need to think twice and it looks like the $100m budget for Spider-Verse was more like $150m. 

• Like 5
  • Heart 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

This is why I think people going on about WDAS and Pixar needing to cut their budgets need to think twice and it looks like the $100m budget for Spider-Verse was more like $150m. 

This one hundred fucking percent.

Also I don’t know when, but I’ve been saying this for a while: Marvel Studios definitely need their own version of ILM. They need their own in-house VFX team, with major salaries, setting up the gold standard to the industry. Marvel Studios is Disney’s biggest money maker, it’s about time they take a serious look at their VFX budget so artists want to work with them and result in better looking films.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

This one hundred fucking percent.

Also I don’t know when, but I’ve been saying this for a while: Marvel Studios definitely need their own version of ILM. They need their own in-house VFX team, with major salaries, setting up the gold standard to the industry. Marvel Studios is Disney’s biggest money maker, it’s about time they take a serious look at their VFX budget so artists want to work with them and result in better looking films.

In-house VFX team wouldn't fix shit when the mcu culture around VFX is all-around terrible, before thinking about setting the "gold standard" they should think about just bringing it up to decency instead of demanding the scenes be redone a million times with no additional pay or other dumb stuff like VFX studio having to make Scott move because they couldn't just film the scene properly to begin with...

50 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

For giggles and sort of like because The Flash, Elemental and Spider-Verse are the big players at the box office right now. Sort of like why I’ve posted Across the Spider-Verse awful work conditions too earlier this morning. 

'biggest' guess we are figuring out who the tallest person in the lollipop guild is this weekend

7 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

In-house VFX team wouldn't fix shit when the mcu culture around VFX is all-around terrible, before thinking about setting the "gold standard" they should think about just bringing it up to decency instead of demanding the scenes be redone a million times with no additional pay or other dumb stuff like VFX studio having to make Scott move because they couldn't just film the scene properly to begin with...

SeeI, I disagree with that. It’s obvious that no big production will work with one single VFX studio these days. What you are talking about isn’t a Marvel Studios issue, it’s an industry issue. It goes through superhero films and critical darlings as well. My point is that someone, any studio, needs to start change. And my understanding is that those that own and run VFX studios overseas (not the actual employees) do get profit, so helping setting a gold standard by creating a VFX venture that gets the top notch artists to work for them and being properly compensated is something that it would be good for artists and suck for the several VFX vendors. As long as it results on better working conditions and better films, I’m good. Don’t really think what you are saying is a "MCU culture" problem, but an industry culture problem.

3 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

'biggest' guess we are figuring out who the tallest person in the lollipop guild is this weekend

Well it’s the hand we’ve been given lol.

Edited by ZattMurdock

44 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

As someone who was in that camp, I assumed that ATSV didn't have the issues it was reported to have and that things went fine. Sure, there were some questions as to how ATSV looked as good as it did while only costing $100 million, considering animation is fairly hard, but I didn't really think about it that much. In hindsight, I should've, mainly because limitation often breeds creativity...

The answer is BioWare Magic, apparently... jesus christ. Hoenstly this is making me rethink a lot of things. I have a lot of questions, man.

Edited by Koni

4 minutes ago, Koni said:

As someone who was in that camp, I assumed that ATSV didn't have the issues it was reported to have and that things went fine. Sure, there were some questions as to how ATSV looked as good as it did while only costing $100 million, considering animation is fairly hard, but I didn't really think about it that much. In hindsight, I should've, mainly because limitation often breeds creativity...

The answer is BioWare Magic, apparently... jesus christ. Hoenstly this is making me rethink a lot of things. I have a lot of questions, man.

Don’t believe critical darlings happen without a lot of pain, sweat and tears from the creators. It’s the whole #ComicsBrokeMe hashtag at a Hollywood scale. That film you love and think it’s perfect and adored by everyone? A lot of people you never heard of without ever getting proper credit but one small name during a long ass credits list, and those are the lucky ones because it’s sometimes not even that.

Just now, wildphantom said:

Audience’s message to WB’s DC division is literally ‘No Hard Feelings’ as they make that movie no.1 and let Flash collapse 70% percent. You couldn’t make it up. 

Why haven’t Deadline hired you again?

• Haha 2

Elemental is going to make less on it’s second weekend than Cars 2 and Cars 3. It will probably barely exceed The Good Dinosaur and only make half of Brave’s second weekend.  It’s fighting neck-and-neck with 30 year old original Toy Story. The last original Pixar movie released fully in theaters, Coco, made 35m second weekend. Elemental would be lucky to make half that.

Man, Disney+ has absolutely gutted Pixar. It’s not like reception is bad for this movie or anything.

44 minutes ago, Koni said:

masseffect-shepard.gif%20