kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals (Jun 23 - 25) | 19.00M ATSV | 18.44M ELEMENTAL | 15.14M THE FLASH | 15.00M NO HARD FEELINGS

Honestly, at this point if I’m James Gunn I’m taking the weekend to decide if I still want to do this. By the time Legacy is ready the well may not have just been poisoned, but dried up, filled in, paved over and then blown to atoms to make way for a hyperspace bypass. I’m a year older than Gunn and it sure wouldn’t be worth the aggravation for me, especially if I had his bank account.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

nah Indiana Jones should make at least 500m worldwide which would make it a flop but no where close to one of the worst 

Indy won't even beat The Flash's OW at the current rate. It needs to perform really strong overseas to offset it, the same 40:60 split as Crystal Skull won't cut it. Based on how much OS markets are rejecting blatant franchise cashgrabs from hollywood lately I see that as unlikely. 

It will beat The Flash WW but not by enough to cover the extra ~$80m budget. I don't think it comes close to $500m.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Indy won't even beat The Flash's OW at the current rate. It needs to perform really strong overseas to offset it, the same 40:60 split as Crystal Skull won't cut it. Based on how much OS markets are rejecting blatant franchise cashgrabs from hollywood lately I see that as unlikely. 

It will beat The Flash WW but not by enough to cover the extra ~$80m budget. I don't think it comes close to $500m.

well that would be really shocking if that happens. I think Indy should be more walk up driven and especially have good walk ups from boomers/the AARP crowd so I won’t count it out yet 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, AJG said:

John Carter was a good time and I’ll die on this hill.

No John carter bombed and we are not  supposed to like movies that bomb. We should disown them and ridducle them because we are to insecure to do otherwise. I think I just described a lot of people on this forum maybe. 

• ...wtf 1

I'm very concerend about kids movies. 

It seems like parents learned to save time parking the kids in front of a tv watching streams instead of going to the movies as a family experience. 

The problem is: Those kids are the future of cinema. If they don't learn to go to the movies from the beginning, tey won't start at the age of 16. Those kids might be lost forever and that's pretty much the worst case for movies and cinemas. 

Yes, I know that Mario was a smash, but the amount of kids movies overall playing in theaters is tiny nowadays.

I guess it's not too easy to figure out why Pixar is hit that hard. Other movies will be on streaming too, but I guess it's still a big part of the problem. 

As for No Hard feeligs: I really hope it gets better later. I was so rooting for themovie. Poeple seem to have forgotten how great comedies are when watched in a theater instead of at home on Netflix while scrolling through your Instagram. 

I don't want every genre to die until only Superhero movies are left. 

Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, John Marston said:

well that would be really shocking if that happens. I think Indy should be more walk up driven and especially have good walk ups from boomers/the AARP crowd so I won’t count it out yet 

Fingers crossed not holding my breath on that the way things are going. 

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

... what?

Why should a Pixar movie cost less than a Rockstar Game?

Obviously because it's a 90 minutes cartoon done in few years and Rockstar Game is a giant state of the art open world story driven game with hundreds of hours of quality content, insane level of detail and polish, tons of cinematics, 8 years in development, done by the best people in the industry. Only Pixar spends 200 mln on animated features, nobody else does, unless there are serious production issues. Spending less doesn't mean more crunches, not all studios are the same.

Edited by TomThomas

The Flash imploding has made what was going to be a rather dull weekend at the box office enjoyable to track.

Gunn was stupid to announce a full reboot with 4(!) big budgeted DCEU movies all releasing this year. I don’t know what they were thinking. I still don’t understand why that announcement didn’t come after Aquaman, and he could quietly write his Legacy film in the meantime. Nothing starts shooting before next year anyways…

WBD did this to themselves, I have no sympathy.

I don’t see how Blue Beetle breaks out now in August. DC is poison on socials at the moment, and that is an unknown character that requires the audience to have faith they will enjoy it. Why would they at this point in time?

The number 1 movie will gross around 18M in the heart of June just before the 4th of July. Theatrical business exploding. We are totally back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Knock It Off 1

50 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I think a lot of the Indy crowd will be people like me, people who grew up with him as a teenager. And I never buy my tickets online. If Indy doesn't touch 500 worldwide that would be a total shock.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

GenZ grew up around that time.

Which is interesting cause when I was 19 I was trying hard to get laid by a woman in her 30s. I still am!

Seventeen year olds now are part of Gen Z, they were a little too young for the Knocked Up or Hangover series theatrical experience. But older Gen Zers were probably sneaking into those movies, yeah.

I was on a movie-related subreddit where some posters were expressing their discomfort with the "icky" premise of No Hard Feelings, not only the age gap but the deception angle. Some will say it's just a movie, others will reject content where characters behave in less than ideal ways, even for the sake of plot. It doesn't make comedy impossible but different than the mentality 10-15 years ago.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

We desperately need a videogame that instead of football manager is nerds managing a movie studio. I mean it would be shit, but clearly there is a market for it. Free idea right here, gaming devs.

Thankfully they don't. It's not just Pixar though, a lot of Disney productions have bloated budgets, including live-action, Indiana Jones 5 shouldn't cost 300 mln and The Force Awakens shouldn't have costed 440+ mln, it's insane. Spending less doesn't mean more crunches, not once I ever implied that, nobody should be treated like shit, those artists deserve much better.

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The number 1 movie will gross around 18M in the heart of June just before the 4th of July. Theatrical business exploding. We are totally back.

We had 6 weekends out of the last 7 where a movie opened to over 50 million. From the middle of feb to the first weekend of april we only had one weekend without a 30 million dollar opener. I know this is your shtick but come on. If the Flash had not completely imploded this weekend would look a lot better. Its the product when people want to see something they will see it.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, baumer said:

I think a lot of the Indy crowd will be people like me, people who grew up with him as a teenager. And I never buy my tickets online. If Indy doesn't touch 500 worldwide that would be a total shock.

Once again fingers crossed on that. 

• Like 1