kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals (Jun 23 - 25) | 19.00M ATSV | 18.44M ELEMENTAL | 15.14M THE FLASH | 15.00M NO HARD FEELINGS

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

more like its a fairly well reviewed comedy in the middle of summer tbh I don't think many care about jlaw aside from those age 28-38. It's been almost 10 years since a hunger games film anyone saw and Silver linings playbook is 11 years old 🙃 gen z doesnt know her

Being a well-reviewed comedy didn't help The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent or Bros much last year and this is going to make more than they did combined. With a less famous actress in the lead this would've sputtered like those movies did. Comedies have just become a tough sell at the multiplex in general even right before COVID. Joy Ride unfortunately feels like it's going to come and go quietly despite the acclaim, comes out in two weeks and buzz feels largely nonexistent.

9 minutes ago, motionpic05 said:

Am I missing something or would a $15 million+ OW for No Hard Feelings be ok? 

No smash hit, but decent, especially considering the environment for R rated movies, mixed reviews, etc. 

R rating will help this type of movie , why else make it

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Just absolutely wretched numbers for NHF and Asteroid City off previews. This isn't even fun anymore. It's like a slow funeral.

People always go off on us and CJohn when we "doompost", but we're almost always right. A burden we must live with indeed.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

17 minutes ago, motionpic05 said:

Am I missing something or would a $15 million+ OW for No Hard Feelings be ok? 

No smash hit, but decent, especially considering the environment for R rated movies, mixed reviews, etc. 

It cost $60M to make. 

I’m still amused RT hasn’t bothered to change their very favorable critics consensus for Flash. You’d think it was sitting at 90% or something lol. I guess this movie gotta take any “wins” where it can get them 

Edited by MovieMan89

NHF carries a $45M budget. Clearly will need to not completely tank overseas to break even but it's already looking to overperform tracking so overall not too shabby for an R-rated comedy in 2023.

That’s not a terrible result at a time in which theatrical comedies, especially of the R-rated variety, have become something of endangered species. But it also wouldn’t be a great start considering its star power, $45 million budget and prime June release date. Earlier this year, Universal’s wild R-rated “Cocaine Bear” opened to $23.2 million — and (with all due respect to the drugged-up grizzly) that film wasn’t headlined by one of the biggest names in Hollywood.

Jennifer Lawrence's 'No Hard Feelings' Box Office Projections - Variety

Edited by filmlover

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’m still amused RT hasn’t bothered to change their very favorable critics consensus for Flash. You’d think it was sitting at 90% or something lol. I guess this movie gotta take any “wins” where it can get them 

They did change it - it was less favorable to begin with. :lol:

5 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

No Hard Feelings was touted as the return of the studio theatrical comedy....so....

The R-rated comedy, maybe. Both The Lost City and Ticket to Paradise made well over $100M worldwide (with the former passing the mark domestically) just last year.

Edit: I guess we can include A Man Called Otto as well but that was more of a dramedy.

Edited by filmlover

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The R-rated comedy, maybe. Both The Lost City and Ticket to Paradise made well over $100M worldwide (with the former passing the mark domestically) just last year.

Edit: I guess we can include A Man Called Otto as well but that was more of a dramedy.

Julia 
Sandra 

Tom 

90s stars still having to do the heavy lifting when it comes to that genre 

5 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Wouldn't be shocked if Gen Zers find the premise of No Hard Feelings uncomfortable due to the "massive" age gap and *quesTionabLe pOweR dyNaMics* of the leads. Maybe they don't all think that way, but the Twitter brained ones are very loud...

I border on Gen Z and I didn't like the premise as presented in the trailers because it made the parents in the movie look like sociopaths who exploit a woman's financial situation while forcing their own son into a scenario he's not at all comfortable with, and asked myself how that was supposed to be funny and not disturbing. Maybe the movie itself does a better job of making sense of it, but the trailers didn't sell me at all.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1