Grebacio

Weekdays (June 26 - 30) | Spiderverse 2.78M, Flash 1.66M, Feelings 1.65M

To add to the animation/anime points:

This is just my personal feeling, but ever since i really got into anime (6 years ago or so), nearly all "western" animation just pales in comparison for me. Most Disney/Pixar movies are formulaic, good-feel family movies of which we have like 1000 at this point. Of the recent Pixar movies, really only one is standing out to me: Inside Out and thats 8 years old already (that one atleast has a very innovative spin on the old themes). When i look at something like Elemental, i think: Ok. Fire and Water cant be together because society says so. In the end, Fire and Water will be together because love = good. The end.

Its just not exciting/new at all and nowadays i see no reasons to watch Pixar films. Only the Spider-Verse films and Puss in Boots 2 stand out to me. On the other hand, anime movies and shows offer a MUCH greater variety. Theres no better animated fantasy movie than Spirited Away for me, Princess Mononoke makes Disney adventures look like pre-school entertainment, Paprika (2006) is one of the best surrealistic trips ive had, Your Name or Suzume actually make me tolerate romance storys and Perfect Blue is Black Swan, but better.

Not to mention all the shows. Attack on Titan, Demon Slayer, Jujutsu Kaisen, Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist, Kaguya-Sama, Monster, Kill la Kill, Vinland Saga, Re:Zero etc etc there are so many great storys out there. Apart from The Last Airbender (which is heavily anime-inspired), i cant think of a western cartoon/animated show that is nearly as exciting, original or entertaining.

I know this is a long, rambling post, but my main point is: I think western animation just looks very dull and boring at the moment and anime is offering a much better alternative atleast for myself.

• Heart 4
  • Astonished 1

Suzume and RRR are the best cinematic experiences I've had in years. I truly believe in a decade or so Asian cinema and television will take over Hollywood as the main source of global entertainment if they keep up that insane amount of quality.

37 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

When i look at something like Elemental, i think: Ok. Fire and Water cant be together because society says so. In the end, Fire and Water will be together because love = good. The end.

That is a way oversimplistic telling of a story that really is about a second-generation immigrant struggling to find a place between a society where she CAN fit in, and with her parents’ lived experience of a society which  clearly rejected them. The love story is just a part of that dynamic.

I can’t speak to your larger point, but I don’t think you’re giving Elemental enough credit for recreating a reality that many children of immigrants live through

• Like 7
  • Heart 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

That is a way oversimplistic telling of a story that really is about a second-generation immigrant struggling to find a place between a society where she CAN fit in, and with her parents’ lived experience of a society which  clearly rejected them. The love story is just a part of that dynamic.

I can’t speak to your larger point, but I don’t think you’re giving Elemental enough credit for recreating a reality that many children of immigrants live through

Thats fair, but i oversimplified Elementals plot precisely because 1) it was obvious from the trailers already what the main conflict is and how everything will play out in the end and 2) i just used Elemental because its out right now but my point is meant for all of Disney/Pixar in the last 10 years or so. Of course there are important nuances (in Elemental, the immigrant aspect, in Zootopia for example, general racism), but for me, all these films feel same-ish in regards to how they tell their storys. Theres hardly anything truly surprising or new.

I have nothing against Elemental in particular and im really happy for everyone who enjoys it and finds deeper meaning in it, but as a storytelling formula, there is nothing about the modern Pixar films that i - personally - find exciting.

43 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

Suzume and RRR are the best cinematic experiences I've had in years. I truly believe in a decade or so Asian cinema and television will take over Hollywood as the main source of global entertainment if they keep up that insane amount of quality.

We already see signs of that. Anime has become mainstream among the under 40 year olds and its popularity is only rising (thanks in part to Covid probably where many people had a lot of time to stream/watch shows and movies) and the Korean film market in particular gains more and more fans in the west.

Though i dont think asian cinema can truly rival Hollywood at least in North America and Europe in the foreseeable future. Even Oscar-worthy korean films mostly get limited releases in many european markets and before that changes, a lot of time will pass i think. On the worldwide market, its anyones guess though. Latin America is very deep into anime already from what ive read, but i dont know the popularity of Asian cinema in Africa, the Middle East or Oceania.

6 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Indiana Jones and the Dial Of Destiny

Some Wednesday Numbers ~ #INT

115K admits (€980K) | France 

111K admits (€630K) | Spain

50K admits (€374K) | Italy

£1.05M UK &108K admits in Korea ($700K)

How do these compare to Crystal Skull?

8 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

How do these compare to Crystal Skull?

UK OW (3-Days) / Final Numbers 

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark - £983,710 (£2.10M Final)
  2. Temple of Doom - £2,001,528 (£6.00M Final)
  3. Last Crusade - £6,560,345 (£15.90M Final)
  4. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - £12,227,799 (£39.7M Final)

France OD 224 035 admits / @ScareLol may know Spain OD of Crystal Skull & @JustLurking for Italy.

But, tracking is going under Crystal Skull overall.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stripe said:

More than Tuesday lone number, I am looking at week to week drop, under 20% for Elemental. Also, proximity to ID4 could boost grosses for family films. These two things give me hope for strong holds

Hold should be awesome for Elemental, AtSV, TLM, GotGV3, TRotB this weekend through next weekend with so many on holiday on and around the 4th of July. Probably will be the peak of summer days because of the holiday as well boosting the summer days even more. In a nutshell, I agree.

16 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

UK OW (3-Days) / Final Numbers 

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark - £983,710 (£2.10M Final)
  2. Temple of Doom - £2,001,528 (£6.00M Final)
  3. Last Crusade - £6,560,345 (£15.90M Final)
  4. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - £12,227,799 (£39.7M Final)

France OD 224 035 admits / @ScareLol may know Spain OD of Crystal Skull & @JustLurking for Italy.

But, tracking is going under Crystal Skull overall.

Italy

Dial of Destiny - 373k euros

Crystal Skull - 858k euros

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

To add to the animation/anime points:

This is just my personal feeling, but ever since i really got into anime (6 years ago or so), nearly all "western" animation just pales in comparison for me. Most Disney/Pixar movies are formulaic, good-feel family movies of which we have like 1000 at this point. Of the recent Pixar movies, really only one is standing out to me: Inside Out and thats 8 years old already (that one atleast has a very innovative spin on the old themes). When i look at something like Elemental, i think: Ok. Fire and Water cant be together because society says so. In the end, Fire and Water will be together because love = good. The end.

Its just not exciting/new at all and nowadays i see no reasons to watch Pixar films. Only the Spider-Verse films and Puss in Boots 2 stand out to me. On the other hand, anime movies and shows offer a MUCH greater variety. Theres no better animated fantasy movie than Spirited Away for me, Princess Mononoke makes Disney adventures look like pre-school entertainment, Paprika (2006) is one of the best surrealistic trips ive had, Your Name or Suzume actually make me tolerate romance storys and Perfect Blue is Black Swan, but better.

Not to mention all the shows. Attack on Titan, Demon Slayer, Jujutsu Kaisen, Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist, Kaguya-Sama, Monster, Kill la Kill, Vinland Saga, Re:Zero etc etc there are so many great storys out there. Apart from The Last Airbender (which is heavily anime-inspired), i cant think of a western cartoon/animated show that is nearly as exciting, original or entertaining.

I know this is a long, rambling post, but my main point is: I think western animation just looks very dull and boring at the moment and anime is offering a much better alternative atleast for myself.

Anime can be great. It can also be utter trash... No different than Western animation in that sense. My favorite recent Western animation would be stuff like...

- Samurai Jack Season 5

- Primal Season 1 and Season 2

- Invincible Season 1

...I'd put Primal Season 1 against any anime series I've seen since it released and say I preferred it to all of them.

Most recent anime movie that I liked a lot that I saw was Belle. Suzume and Weathering With You looked fantastic but didn't do much for me.

Attack On Titan bored me to tears once they finally did the big reveal in Season 2 maybe?

I'm taking last 5 years or so here. Many series and animation you mentioned is from pretty long ago. 

If you like Indiana Jones type stuff, I'd highly recommend checking out some of the Lupin III movies... Mystery of Mamo, Castle Cagliostro, Gold of Babylon, Farewell Nostradamus, The First, Blood Seal Eternal Mermaid are some of the ones I had the most fun with. Miyazaki directed Cagliostro.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Thats fair, but i oversimplified Elementals plot precisely because 1) it was obvious from the trailers already what the main conflict is and how everything will play out in the end and 2) i just used Elemental because its out right now but my point is meant for all of Disney/Pixar in the last 10 years or so. Of course there are important nuances (in Elemental, the immigrant aspect, in Zootopia for example, general racism), but for me, all these films feel same-ish in regards to how they tell their storys. Theres hardly anything truly surprising or new.

I have nothing against Elemental in particular and im really happy for everyone who enjoys it and finds deeper meaning in it, but as a storytelling formula, there is nothing about the modern Pixar films that i - personally - find exciting.

I have been watching anime for awhile and while there are some very unique and amazing stories, there are a lot of anime that are formulaic as well.  Most of the bigger anime in the U.S, Dragonball, My Hero, Demon Slayer, etc. run very formulaic as well as a lot of isekai but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  Its familiar for the audience and casual fans can get into it with ease.

• Like 2

Just now, bryaalre said:

I have been watching anime for awhile and while there are some very unique and amazing stories, there are a lot of anime that are formulaic as well.  Most of the bigger anime in the U.S, Dragonball, My Hero, Demon Slayer, etc. run very formulaic as well as a lot of isekai but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  Its familiar for the audience and casual fans can get into it with ease.

Yup. This.