Grebacio

Weekdays (June 26 - 30) | Spiderverse 2.78M, Flash 1.66M, Feelings 1.65M

6 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

This is likely all it needed to do. This will tell Paramount that there is still an audience and all it will mean is that Rise of the Beasts 2 or whatever it's called will likely have a lower budget to compensate.

I wouldn't say it's "all it needed to do." It needed to turn a profit, which it won't do theatrically. It will get close enough that ancillary markets will probably make it worthwhile. Plus Hasbro helped finance the movie, and the toys are doing nicely, so all told they could very well make a sequel. 

But there should be alarm bells going off over the international gross. China isn't a cushion for the franchise like it once was.

21 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

I wouldn't say it's "all it needed to do." It needed to turn a profit, which it won't do theatrically. It will get close enough that ancillary markets will probably make it worthwhile. Plus Hasbro helped finance the movie, and the toys are doing nicely, so all told they could very well make a sequel. 

If things did not change they give points to Hasbro for the licensing too (and to Lorenzo and Steven Spielberg), they had back in the day around 25% first dollar gross going out, plus Wahlberg getting close to first dollar gross on top of that. I do not know about them helping about the budget in exchange

Even Transformer 4;

https://issuu.com/pmcderek/docs/mm_transformers-wm?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=deadline.com

Did not turn out a profit from theatrical (which I am not sure what it would mean).

That list feel like it would hurt:

Produced by 

Valerii An ... executive producer
Michael Bay ... producer (produced by)
Tom DeSanto ... producer (produced by)
Lorenzo di Bonaventura ... producer (produced by) (p.g.a.)
Bernardo Duran Jr. ... co-producer
David Ellison ... executive producer
Bradley J. Fischer ... executive producer
Dana Goldberg ... executive producer
Brian Goldner ... executive producer
Don Granger ... executive producer
Duncan Henderson ... producer (produced by)
Don Murphy ... producer (produced by)
Brian Oliver ... executive producer
Steven Spielberg ... executive producer
Mark Vahradian ... producer (produced by) (p.g.a.)

• Like 1

On 6/27/2023 at 3:43 PM, Bob Train said:

Jurassic World, Star Wars, and Disney live-action were some of the most common billion grossers pre-pandemic and those are all done.

MCU is still strong but isn't firing off billion grossers like they did 2018-2019.

Exchange Rates and weak China makes it hard for international juggernauts like Minions, F&F, etc. to gross a billion.

Disney was ran into the ground by poor leadership and they had half of pre-COVID billion grossers.

so basically as everyone said years ago, a weaker showing from Disney and MCU won’t make adult dramas and romcoms start dominating at the box office again. Studios need to make better films that people actually want to pay money to see instead of relying on franchises.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

so basically as everyone said years ago, a weaker showing from Disney and MCU won’t make adult dramas and romcoms start dominating at the box office again. Studios need to make better films that people actually want to pay money to see instead of relying on franchises.

Kind of sad how a Pixar movie for kids is kind of filling the romcom role at the moment 

40 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Kind of sad how a Pixar movie for kids is kind of filling the romcom role at the moment 

As a big anime fan myself, I think a straight up animated romantic comedy in the style of Kaguya Sama: Love Is War could do gangbusters if done and marketed correctly.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

As a big anime fan myself, I think a straight up animated romantic comedy in the style of Kaguya Sama: Love Is War could do gangbusters if done and marketed correctly.

This. Also, high recommendation for everybody to watch Kaguya-sama. Fantastic show.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AniNate said:

I'm not prepared to say it'll do $150 DOM yet, that would be better than Finding Nemo legs

But Disney/Pixar definitely have to be encouraged by its recovery both here and worldwide. I'm hoping it can hit $400m, the mark I thought was the satisfactory benchmark before it was released. At least this performance may take the heat off the creative team and more on the marketing department, who advertised it in an almost aggressively off-putting way. They need to avoid that mistake with Elio's campaign.

Late legs are different than overall legs.

Nemo opened far higher so overall legs can be shorter.  But it's late legs were crazy.

After a $14m w/e (June 27-29)  it made $126m more  - 9x   $11.5m w/e - $106m more  - 9.2x

It's comparable Tues/Wed (before cheap Tues) on June 24 & 25 were -   $2.826m / $2.83m

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, cannastop said:

"No hard feelings" could be considered a romcom, right? Haven't seen it, but it seems like it could be

12 hours ago, Eric Jones said:

steven-universe-cartoons.gif

This show really fell apart by the end. Ridiculous character scaling, a final villain far too ambitious for the kind of series it is, and an ending which is just so wrong. This used to be great, so it really sucks how far it fell by the end.

10 hours ago, eddyxx said:

And the fault of that is literally Disney's strategy to aggressively crowd the market with blockbusters, most of them belonging to same genre or big franchises, conditioning many moviegoers to be selective about what films they wanna watch in theaters, given inflation. The mid-budget film disappearing is not parallel with the ascension of blockbuster-heavy schedules (and streaming too) by coincidence.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

And the fault of that is literally Disney's strategy to aggressively crowd the market with blockbusters, most of them belonging to same genre or big franchises, conditioning many moviegoers to be selective about what films they wanna watch in theaters, given inflation. The mid-budget film disappearing is not parallel with the ascension of blockbuster-heavy schedules (and streaming too) by coincidence.

I don’t think we should let general audiences off the hook 100% and only blame Disney although that company deserves its fair share of blame too. The younger male audience isn’t branching out to see dramas. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

vq7rl6nwjv8b1.jpg?width=537&auto=webp&v=

I was thinking mid 50s drop for Flash this weekend but seeing this maybe it can hit -60?

A 60%+ drop would be atrocious, but probable.

PLF gone + direct competion + not so great WOM = steep 3rd weekend drop

AM3 almost hit 60% drop with same formula

14 minutes ago, stripe said:

With that Tuesday number, could we see a 15M weekend gross for both Elemental and SM? 

Tbh Tuesday numbers don't mean much if it comes to predicting weekends. The wednesday numbers will tell us a lot more (lets say Elemental drops to $2.4m today $15m weekend seems impossible, if it drops the same 28% as last week and it gets close to $2.9m then $15m would be more doable.. Also it's good to consider that last thursday Elemetal increased on thursday, this week we might see a small drop because of the new releases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Tbh Tuesday numbers don't mean much if it comes to predicting weekends. The wednesday numbers will tell us a lot more (lets say Elemental drops to $2.4m today $15m weekend seems impossible, if it drops the same 28% as last week and it gets close to $2.9m then $15m would be more doable.. Also it's good to consider that last thursday Elemetal increased on thursday, this week we might see a small drop because of the new releases.

More than Tuesday lone number, I am looking at week to week drop, under 20% for Elemental. Also, proximity to ID4 could boost grosses for family films. These two things give me hope for strong holds

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

I don’t think we should let general audiences off the hook 100% and only blame Disney although that company deserves its fair share of blame too. The younger male audience isn’t branching out to see dramas. 

The audience shows up for what films are marketed towards them. The younger male audience not going for adult-skewing dramas is not helped by studios aggressively catering to the younger male audience in specific, with a high number of blockbustery, high ticket price choices that monopolize moviegoer priorities and leave little space for the mid-budget films. If you cater as well to diverse audiences, they'll show up. You can have both in a balanced world, but that's not what you get. A movie like No Hard Feelings would be making a lot more money than it is doing now even ten years ago.

Edited by MCKillswitch123