Grebacio

Weekdays (June 26 - 30) | Spiderverse 2.78M, Flash 1.66M, Feelings 1.65M

5 hours ago, stripe said:

With that Tuesday number, could we see a 15M weekend gross for both Elemental and SM? 

SM for sure now that its Wed hold is better than WW. It made 2.83M on Wed vs WW's 2.76M. Since WW made 15.7M 3 day and 24M 5 day I guess AtSV should post similar numbers. Meaning 400M is happening. WW was gaining on weekends and losing on weekdays but this time AtSV looks set to match it on weekend so gap won't be big enough to miss 400M. 

Edited by Valonqar

16 minutes ago, bryaalre said:

I have been watching anime for awhile and while there are some very unique and amazing stories, there are a lot of anime that are formulaic as well.  Most of the bigger anime in the U.S, Dragonball, My Hero, Demon Slayer, etc. run very formulaic as well as a lot of isekai but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  Its familiar for the audience and casual fans can get into it with ease.

I completely agree (especially Isekais, they are getting way out of hand now. We even have "reincarnated as a vending machine" now lol), but i think its fair to say that anime covers a broader variety of storys, settings etc than western animation.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

SM for sure now that its Wed hold is better than WW. It made 2.83M on Wed vs WW's 2.76M. Since WW made 15.7M 3 day and 24M 5 day I guess AtSV should post similar numbers. Meaning 400M is happening. WW was gaining on weekends and losing on weekdays but this time AtSV looks set to match it on weekend so gap won't be big enough to miss 400M. 

Animated films do better on summer weekdays than PG-13 live action blockbusters. Then they typically have smaller increases on Friday and Saturday.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Becarefull with this, yes wed is higher than WW's, but last week Spidey dropped 7% on thursday, this week it will have more competition (losing more showtimes) so a 10% drop on thursday isn't far fetched. That would mean 2.55 thursday vs 2.68 thursday of WW. WW weekend jumps have been better than Spideys, if spidey matches the jumps of last week that would lead to a weekend of $13.7m.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Animated films do better on summer weekdays than PG-13 live action blockbusters. Then they typically have smaller increases on Friday and Saturday.

2 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Becarefull with this, yes wed is higher than WW's, but last week Spidey dropped 7% on thursday, this week it will have more competition (losing more showtimes) so a 10% drop on thursday isn't far fetched. That would mean 2.55 thursday vs 2.68 thursday of WW. WW weekend jumps have been better than Spideys, if spidey matches the jumps of last week that would lead to a weekend of $13.7m.

Good points! Still that 12.5M projection is too low. 

• Like 1

My Indy prediction - an awful, meltdown inducing opening day gives way to a slightly better than usual IM and good enough legs to get over 160.

EDIT: After seeing Europe numbers I am not sure.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

To add to the animation/anime points:

This is just my personal feeling, but ever since i really got into anime (6 years ago or so), nearly all "western" animation just pales in comparison for me. Most Disney/Pixar movies are formulaic, good-feel family movies of which we have like 1000 at this point. Of the recent Pixar movies, really only one is standing out to me: Inside Out and thats 8 years old already (that one atleast has a very innovative spin on the old themes). When i look at something like Elemental, i think: Ok. Fire and Water cant be together because society says so. In the end, Fire and Water will be together because love = good. The end.

Its just not exciting/new at all and nowadays i see no reasons to watch Pixar films. Only the Spider-Verse films and Puss in Boots 2 stand out to me. On the other hand, anime movies and shows offer a MUCH greater variety. Theres no better animated fantasy movie than Spirited Away for me, Princess Mononoke makes Disney adventures look like pre-school entertainment, Paprika (2006) is one of the best surrealistic trips ive had, Your Name or Suzume actually make me tolerate romance storys and Perfect Blue is Black Swan, but better.

Not to mention all the shows. Attack on Titan, Demon Slayer, Jujutsu Kaisen, Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist, Kaguya-Sama, Monster, Kill la Kill, Vinland Saga, Re:Zero etc etc there are so many great storys out there. Apart from The Last Airbender (which is heavily anime-inspired), i cant think of a western cartoon/animated show that is nearly as exciting, original or entertaining.

I know this is a long, rambling post, but my main point is: I think western animation just looks very dull and boring at the moment and anime is offering a much better alternative atleast for myself.

I have been watching anime for over 10 years at this point, and I run a podcast dedicated to the medium as well write about it as a career essentially. Most of my favourite shows are anime, I've seen way too many I'd like to admit, and my MAL watchlist is large enough to fill an entire 5 years worth of watches. I both agree and disagree with this in a lot of ways, though I do understand where you are coming from. I think it mostly has to do with a misunderstanding what we consider to be "formulaic".

Anime took a long time to break out like this even in Japan. For decades it was seen as "child's fare" over there and it really wasn't until the early 80s with the Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy (not even the original series!) that really started to change. And while yes there were anime developed for adults prior to that, the success of that trilogy proved there was a market for it. This led to a vast number of imitators and the mecha boom of 80s, which I consider very similar to the Isekai boom of today which is everywhere. Anime has it's originality like you said - Kill La Kill which you brought up is a great example of a genuine auteurist work in the mainstream - but I disagree with the idea that some anime is more original/exciting then western animation especially since most of the mainstream stuff in Japan has been following formula for a while now. Both Demon Slayer and Elemental are great/fantastic, but both are exceptionally formula driven in their own respective ways (which is also partly why Demon Slayer was a huge hit around the world). This isn't a knock against either piece of media, mind you - I find the discussion about formula to be boring personally, it's all about execution - but it's the truth of the matter.

For most of the good stuff in both eastern and western, you gotta look deep. For example, if you want something really interesting and unique, check out Odd Taxi, which is one of the most engaging dramas I've ever seen and it's got a cast of entirely animals. Or here in the west, we recently had Mad God, which is a wildly horrifying masterwork made by one guy over the course of two decades.

I'm not disagreeing with the idea that anime inherently is more appealing at the moment. It clearly is, and with the success of stuff like Across the Spider-Verse I do think that turning point for western animation similar to what happened in the early 80s in Japan is coming sooner then later, but also if you want the truly interesting stuff on both sides of the pond, you gotta look deeper then simply what's in the mainstream, cause there is some really amazing stuff going on in animation everywhere right now (it's kind of having a moment).

• Like 4
  • Heart 1

Younger generations grew up watching tons of animation and still enjoy it as adults. A year or two ago I asked my mom if she wanted to go see some film in theaters that was animated and she was like "that's for children". I cant remember what film it was but I tried to explain to her that you could in fact still enjoy animated films as an adult and I think I broke her brain. She refused to accept that lol

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

My Indy prediction - an awful, meltdown inducing opening day gives way to a slightly better than usual IM and good enough legs to get over 160.

People will be too low after Th but too high after Fri

1 minute ago, Killimano3 said:

Younger generations grew up watching tons of animation and still enjoy it as adults. A year or two ago I asked my mom if she wanted to go see some film in theaters that was animated and she was like "that's for children". I cant remember what film it was but I tried to explain to her that you could in fact still enjoy animated films as an adult and I think I broke her brain. She refused to accept that lol

Definitely seems to be something with the older generation for sure, though honestly I'm not sure who to blame. Animation at one point WAS considered for all ages - especially in the 30s and 40s - but then after WW2 that really changed. Obviously tides are changing and I suspect within the next 20 years it will begin to shift again but that massive shift in the 50s to "animation is kids stuff" did a lot of damage to animation for decades.

23 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

My Indy prediction:

It will have better than expected legs after it’s OW and get good WOM, actually. I’ve been tracking social media reactions like I did for The Flash just like @ecstasy used to do back in the day and it’s looking a lot more favorable than the latter. I didn’t talk about how atrocious The Flash social media reactions were weeks ago because it was already enough of a shitstorm without that. 

I’m more interested about how it will behave during July 4th week than the OW itself.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

I have been watching anime for over 10 years at this point, and I run a podcast dedicated to the medium as well write about it as a career essentially. Most of my favourite shows are anime, I've seen way too many I'd like to admit, and my MAL watchlist is large enough to fill an entire 5 years worth of watches. I both agree and disagree with this in a lot of ways, though I do understand where you are coming from. I think it mostly has to do with a misunderstanding what we consider to be "formulaic".

Anime took a long time to break out like this even in Japan. For decades it was seen as "child's fare" over there and it really wasn't until the early 80s with the Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy (not even the original series!) that really started to change. And while yes there were anime developed for adults prior to that, the success of that trilogy proved there was a market for it. This led to a vast number of imitators and the mecha boom of 80s, which I consider very similar to the Isekai boom of today which is everywhere. Anime has it's originality like you said - Kill La Kill which you brought up is a great example of a genuine auteurist work in the mainstream - but I disagree with the idea that some anime is more original/exciting then western animation especially since most of the mainstream stuff in Japan has been following formula for a while now. Both Demon Slayer and Elemental are great/fantastic, but both are exceptionally formula driven in their own respective ways (which is also partly why Demon Slayer was a huge hit around the world). This isn't a knock against either piece of media, mind you - I find the discussion about formula to be boring personally, it's all about execution - but it's the truth of the matter.

For most of the good stuff in both eastern and western, you gotta look deep. For example, if you want something really interesting and unique, check out Odd Taxi, which is one of the most engaging dramas I've ever seen and it's got a cast of entirely animals. Or here in the west, we recently had Mad God, which is a wildly horrifying masterwork made by one guy over the course of two decades.

I'm not disagreeing with the idea that anime inherently is more appealing at the moment. It clearly is, and with the success of stuff like Across the Spider-Verse I do think that turning point for western animation similar to what happened in the early 80s in Japan is coming sooner then later, but also if you want the truly interesting stuff on both sides of the pond, you gotta look deeper then simply what's in the mainstream, cause there is some really amazing stuff going on in animation everywhere right now (it's kind of having a moment).

Great Post!

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

This is just my personal feeling, but ever since i really got into anime (6 years ago or so), nearly all "western" animation just pales in comparison for me.

I definitely think Hayao Miyazaki's anime movies leave everything else in the dust but I'm not sure if say, Shinkai's movies are of the same caliber.

Haven't really gotten into Hosoda's movies though.... maybe I'd like them better.

Edited by cannastop

14 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I definitely think Hayao Miyazaki's anime movies leave everything else in the dust but I'm not sure if say, Shinkai's movies are of the same caliber.

Haven't really gotten into Hosoda's movies though.... maybe I'd like them better.

Hosoda is amazing. Wolf Children is my all time favourite film so definitely check that one out at least. He's very different from both Miyazaki and Shinkai even if he operates on a similar wave length - he's very grounded in his stories, they almost feel quaint compared to his contemporaries but I think that's why he works.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

Hosoda is amazing. Wolf Children is my all time favourite film so definitely check that one out at least. He's very different from both Miyazaki and Shinkai even if he operates on a similar wave length - he's very grounded in his stories, they almost feel quaint compared to his contemporaries but I think that's why he works.

Satoshi Kon is still my favorite anime director. Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers and Paprika are all top tier masterpieces. I'm sad that he passed away so early.

• Like 3

End of Evangelion, The Tale of Princess Kaguya and Spirited Away make my top 3 favourite anime movies. Shinkai's stuff is pretty but not really my sort of thing though I have enjoyed all of his work. Also Redline is insane if you want pure sakuga, it's like if Spider-Verse was entirely 2D animated.

• Like 2