Grebacio

Weekdays (June 26 - 30) | Spiderverse 2.78M, Flash 1.66M, Feelings 1.65M

If Indy 5 didn't recover and contribute a big bang to Friday BO, June will narrowly miss $1bn aggregately. A meh monthly result considering the constant flow of product. I blame mostly on Flash for this late weakness in June.  

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

who cares about China, at most studios would bring 20m back home, so now they make 10m , big deal

Yeh, this. I’m actually happy studios have moved beyond the obsession with China inflating the worldwide number. 

People online are still getting used to the grosses without that and Russia though. Makes $1b much trickier than before and $700-800m films seem huge. 

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, Bobzaruni said:

Indy and Elemental double features?

It's a well known phenomenon that when a studio releases a big new film, the holdovers from the same studio hold well. There are countless examples of this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, XXRkham Asylum said:

O/U $60M for Indiana Jones this weekend?

O/U $13M for ATSV and Elemental?

O/U $5.5M for The Flash?

Over, I have Indy 5 at $70M still and I'm sticking to it goddamnit huffs insane amounts of copium

Under, Elemental at $12M and ATSV at $10M. ATSV losing PLF screens to Indy will hurt it.

Under, The Flash at $4M. RIP.

‘Indiana Jones And The Dial Of Destiny’ To Whip Up $140M+ Global Opening – Box Office Preview

https://deadline.com/2023/06/indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-box-office-projection-2-1235425453/

Tl:dr

- Deadline are forecasting a $60-65m domestic opening for Indy 5 and $140m worldwide (3-day weekend).

- Ruby Gillman has a $70m production budget, tracking for single digits million OW.

- ATSV & Elemental $12-13m

Edited by IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jurassic World, Star Wars, and Disney live-action were some of the most common billion grossers pre-pandemic and those are all done.

MCU is still strong but isn't firing off billion grossers like they did 2018-2019.

Exchange Rates and weak China makes it hard for international juggernauts like Minions, F&F, etc. to gross a billion.

Disney was ran into the ground by poor leadership and they had half of pre-COVID billion grossers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

‘Indiana Jones And The Dial Of Destiny’ To Whip Up $140M+ Global Opening – Box Office Preview

https://deadline.com/2023/06/indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-box-office-projection-2-1235425453/

- Deadline are forecasting a $60-65m domestic opening for Indy 5 and $140m worldwide (3-day weekend).-

On a 295 million film plus at least 100 million in marketing, that is a horrible opening weekend - unbelievable as that sounds at 140 million WW.

I hope Hollywood learns the folly of these ridiculous budgets.

Indy has the most ridiculous budget in a summer of ridiculous budget. For Fast X, at least they have the excuse of the director leaving and prolonging production. For Mermaid, water CGI is expensive. For Elemental, at least they developed new tech. But Indy at a 295m budget??? How???

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Indy has the most ridiculous budget in a summer of ridiculous budget. For Fast X, at least they have the excuse of the director leaving and prolonging production. For Mermaid, water CGI is expensive. For Elemental, at least they developed new tech. But Indy at a 295m budget??? How???

As I've mentioned in another thread, it was a mix of a bunch of factors from an on-location COVID shoot that was shut down twice due to concerns related to the illness, Ford getting injured early on in production (which also happened on TFA which affected the budget of that film too), and the standard Hollywood practice of slapping the costs of any unfinished attempts at prior versions of the same film. In this case, the budget includes the initial paychecks of Spielberg when he was still signed on as well as the multitude of writers attached to this thing since it's been in development hell since 2008 (they were working on the script as early as March of that year).

• Like 14

35 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

- Deadline are forecasting a $60-65m domestic opening for Indy 5 and $140m worldwide (3-day weekend).

- Ruby Gillman has a $70m production budget, tracking for single digits million OW.

- ATSV & Elemental $12-13m

Ruby Gillman at 70 million is an oof, at least Uni didn't sink any more costs into it

10 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

I just don’t understand why they even bothered if they didn’t feel sure this script was a real winner after the dev hell this movie had for so long? When almost all of the good reviews have to mention nostalgia rush as the only real positive, you know it’s bad. Part of me thinks Harrison himself is the one who insisted, esp since he’s made comments in recent years about how “no one” can play indy except him, etc. He seems oddly fixated on the character. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Ruby Gillman at 70 million is an oof, at least Uni didn't sink any more costs into it

It's simply staggering to me that this generic nickelodeon-tier animation has a budget of $70million while masterpieces of hand-drawn animation like Spirited Away clock in at $20m or The Tale of Princess Kaguya at $50m. I know it's not an apples to apples comparison when you compare computer-generated with 2D hand-drawn but it's eye opening. I wish some western studios would turn back to 2D because while it might take longer to create the end result is most of the time (unless you're at pixar's level of rendering) more beautiful than a CGI animation at a fraction of the cost.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

It's simply staggering to me that this generic nickelodeon-tier animation has a budget of $70million while masterpieces of hand-drawn animation like Spirited Away clock in at $20m or The Tale of Princess Kaguya at $50m. I know it's not an apples to apples comparison when you compare computer-generated with 2D hand-drawn but it's eye opening. I wish some western studios would turn back to 2D because while it might take longer to create the end result is most of the time (unless you're at pixar's level of rendering) more beautiful than a CGI animation at a fraction of the cost.

Japanese studios tend to really underpay their artist, hence why they are so cheap to produce compared to western productions.

Edited by Boxx93
  • Like 10

42 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

likely as it’s been development for years with numerous false starts. Plus shot during the pandemic. All can be attributed to adding probably 20-25% to the overall spend. 

look how much Flash cost, and it barely gets beyond the green screen. At least Indy looks like they went somewhere to shoot it. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

Emmm... Indy 5 had Ford's trauma which prolonged production, de-aging, period piece setting, a lot of CGI action, big sets with big crowds, how is it supposed to be cheaper than Mermaid? Plus Ford and Spielberg's salaries, and maybe previous attempts to make it. In Fast X's case, too many people to pay to is most likely the reason of balooned budget, not Lin's departure.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Like 2

The Boogeyman holds confuse me because it was pretty bad, and I don't think I've seen anyone say something positive about it.

Guess it's just a case of being the only horror around until Insidious.

Still confused about why studios decided to drop popes exorcist and renfield same day with clear gaps on the calendar.