Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

this movie came out 30 years ago today. Remember when a star could take a legal thriller to 158 million domestic which would be well over 300 million today? One of the most fascinating things

MV5BNDMzNDEwM2EtN2I4YS00NjRjLTk5ZTAtZTg5

Love this movie, flaws and all (it's 20 mins too long). It famously knocked Jurassic Park out of the top spot. 

That said my favorite star driven adult thriller from that Summer is In the Line of Fire. I think I like it even more than The Fugitive. 

12 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Love this movie, flaws and all (it's 20 mins too long). It famously knocked Jurassic Park out of the top spot. 

That said my favorite star driven adult thriller from that Summer is In the Line of Fire. I think I like it even more than The Fugitive. 

We didn’t deserve that summer.

FWIW.... I really enjoyed Dial of destiny. I loved Indy in it, I felt like he was written and played perfectly. You can definitely notice that he was a geriatric in some scenes but for an 80 year old dude he's still running around doing a lot of his own stunts. I totally forgot that Antonio Banderas was in this and I enjoyed him as well. There is definitely some nods and homages to some of the past films and you definitely have to be an indie fan to pick up on them so I enjoyed that as well.

Like others have mentioned here I thought some of the action scenes went on a bit too long but they are still incredibly ambitious. The opening 15 minutes of an Indiana Jones film usually has really nothing to do with the rest of it. But in this one it went right into the rest of the film so that was kind of enjoyable as well.

The last half an hour or 45 minutes was really really good and the one scene that everybody is raving about had me wiping away the tears. Now keep in mind me reviewing an Indiana Jones movie and telling you that I loved it or liked it a lot would be like Noctis telling you how much he liked Harry Potter part 17. Having said that I do think it's going to have good word of mouth, I have no idea how much money it's going to make worldwide but I will definitely see it again. 

As a side note I thought mads Mikellsen was quite good as well. I recently watched a film of his called polar and I think it's German or Austrian or something it's definitely not an American film but it's on Netflix and it's one of those secret operatives who can fight and shoot and everything else but the movie kind of blew me away. Mikellsen was absolutely fantastic in it and if you haven't seen it I'd highly recommend watching it if you like him as an actor. 

• Like 11
  • Heart 2

And by the way, I saw Indy in IMAX I got popcorn and a pop and by the time everything was all said and done I spent 40 bucks today. We talked about the cost of going to movies before and how it's just out of control now. There's only certain movies I can see in theaters now because of the price.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

this movie came out 30 years ago today. Remember when a star could take a legal thriller to 158 million domestic which would be well over 300 million today? One of the most fascinating things

MV5BNDMzNDEwM2EtN2I4YS00NjRjLTk5ZTAtZTg5

John Grisham legal thrillers >>>>

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

As a side note I thought mads Mikellsen was quite good as well. I recently watched a film of his called polar and I think it's German or Austrian or something it's definitely not an American film but it's on Netflix and it's one of those secret operatives who can fight and shoot and everything else but the movie kind of blew me away. Mikellsen was absolutely fantastic in it and if you haven't seen it I'd highly recommend watching it if you like him as an actor. 

Have you seen Another Round? Mads gives an all timer performance in it, he's brilliant.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

Have you seen Another Round? Mads gives an all timer performance in it, he's brilliant.

No I haven't seen that one but I will add it to my list. Have you seen polar?

wonder if it's a hot take to say I'm ok if the indiana jones franchise got rebooted with a new actor like 15 years from now mostly because i know Disney won't let the franchise rest for too long and I have no interest in watching any indy film not staring indy himself and I miss the 40-60 aesthetic

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, baumer said:

No I haven't seen that one but I will add it to my list. Have you seen polar?

I have! Not huge on the film itself but he is fantastic in it. I have yet to see Mads in something where he isn't anything less then fantastic.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

That’s great.  Also check out Riders of Justice that’s a lot of fun.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

Even though it flopped I imagine Gillman took away some of the family audiences that might've otherwise seen Spiderverse and Elemental, hence not great holds. Fortunately looks like they have a clearer path through July.

How would a 5 Million opener take away family audience? The holds overall are pretty weak this friday. 

Cinema we knew is about to die. The emptier the cinemas get, the heavier and faster the downfall strikes. 

Those inflated dollar-results can't cover up the decline any longer. The theaters are empty and finding a sold out show is getting rarer and rarer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

And by the way, I saw Indy in IMAX I got popcorn and a pop and by the time everything was all said and done I spent 40 bucks today. We talked about the cost of going to movies before and how it's just out of control now. There's only certain movies I can see in theaters now because of the price.

There is no excuse for the theaters when they’re still not paying all that much for things like popcorn/soda. Why I have no qualms bringing my own stuff.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

How would a 5 Million opener take away family audience? The holds overall are pretty weak this friday. 

Cinema we knew is about to die. The emptier the cinemas get, the heavier and faster the downfall strikes. 

Those inflated dollar-results can't cover up the decline any longer. The theaters are empty and finding a sold out show is getting rarer and rarer.

Because it's new. If it were an actual legit hit I think Elemental and Spiderverse's drops would've been even worse. At this point they're both not super huge money makers themselves.

Edited by AniNate

16 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

There is no excuse for the theaters when they’re still not paying all that much for things like popcorn/soda. Why I have no qualms bringing my own stuff.  

Concessions is the movie theater’s bread and butter. 

• Like 2