Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

July 4th isn't even that big of a holiday for movies. Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Years have much bigger effects on the Box Office

Edited by Bob Train

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

Next weekend is deadlier than dead with Insidious 47 and female comedy coming out.

But zero competation might not actually help Indy, Flash still dropped 72% against JLaw comedy.

Insidious 6 or whatever is probably going to kill No Hard Feelings. 

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

Next weekend is deadlier than dead with Insidious 47 and female comedy coming out.

But zero competation might not actually help Indy, Flash still dropped 72% against JLaw comedy.

The IM of 8.5x for Indy 5 is good for a summer IP tentpole, way better than Flash' sub-6x IM,  that should signal some solid 2nd weekend hold.   

• Like 2

Worldwide OW wasn't even 50% of Crystal Skull on a budget 150m higher than Crystal Skull:hahaha:

This run is becoming interesting.  Let's see if it can beat Raiders of the Lost Ark unadjusted (390m WW). Domestically let's see if it can beat Temple of Doom (180m DOM).

Between this and Flash, I'm glad audiences are standing up to these bloated CGI nostalgia movies and demanding better.

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

Families don't care about Gillman and are all waiting for Ninja Tutules which come out in like a month.

Are families going to show up for that? I mean, I think Ninja Turtles looks great, and I don't even really enjoy that franchise, but I haven't really heard any buzz for the film either.

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

Sometimes you just need to call out a bad faith post and call it what it is. 

The irony here being that 90% of all your posts are in bad-faith

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Worldwide OW wasn't even 50% of Crystal Skull on a budget 150m higher than Crystal Skull:hahaha:

This run is becoming interesting.  Let's see if it can beat Raiders of the Lost Ark unadjusted (390m WW). Domestically let's see if it can beat Temple of Doom (180m DOM).

Between this and Flash, I'm glad audiences are standing up to these bloated CGI nostalgia movies and demanding better.

I'm also glad Fast X is barely going to break even. Or does that franchise not count because of your profile photo?

17 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Let’s add the $ 500M (budget + marketing) of Fast X in this 

Really hopeful that with this one not being profitable in theaters will finally make this franchise ends in the next movie 

17 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Nostalgia is a tool and shouldn't be the main reason that a movie gets made.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

What if neither Mission: Impossible, Barbie or Oppenheimer don’t "save the summer" at all?

This is where I'm at.

I'm interested in all three films, but:

M:I7 is still floundering in presales, with hopes it'll can those sweet, sweet walk-ups, but it's not looking amazing.

Barbie, if the reviews from folks who saw early cuts are to be believed, will have a great opening weekend, but the content of the film may not help it going forward.

Oppenheimer is a 3-hour, R-rated drama from a director whose last film was average at best, hard to hear in theaters, and didn't even make back its budget (I know, I know, COVID).

At this point, who knows? Maybe embargos dropping will help all three films. Maybe it'll hurt. Who the hell knows anymore?

• Like 3

Just now, Mojoguy said:

Nostalgia is a tool and shouldn't be the main reason that a movie gets made.

The Super Mario Brothers movie throws a wrench into all this, because there's no film nostalgia for the brand, but its box office was fueld by:

1. BEAUTIFUL animation.

2. Nostalgia for the games, from people who played Donkey Kong in the arcade in the 80s, to the people who played Mario Odyssey on their Nintendo Switch.

7 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Are families going to show up for that? I mean, I think Ninja Turtles looks great, and I don't even really enjoy that franchise, but I haven't really heard any buzz for the film either.

The trailer got a great reaction from my ATSV showing I was with. TMNT is going the one to benefit the most from ATSV success. The new art style is getting a lot of talk.

With Elemental doing mediocre and Gillman flopping, TMNT is posed to break out.

7 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

This is where I'm at.

M:I7 is still floundering in presales, with hopes it'll can those sweet, sweet walk-ups, but it's not looking amazing.

Barbie, if the reviews from folks who saw early cuts are to be believed, will have a great opening weekend, but the content of the film may not help it going forward.

Oppenheimer is a 3-hour, R-rated drama from a director whose last film was average at best, hard to hear in theaters, and didn't even make back its budget (I know, I know, COVID).

At this point, who knows? Maybe embargos dropping will help all three films. Maybe it'll hurt. Who the hell knows anymore?

But 2 of those movies have a $100M budget - so a $200M DOM performance with a matching overseas performance or more makes them nice successes...

Aka - we don't need a Spiderverse DOM number for Barbie or Oppenheimer for them to be big successes.

And with MI 7 likely to look like Fast X overseas, it probably doesn't need a Spidey DOM number either (but I'm still sticking to a $300M+ DOM finish, but one under Spidey:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

This is where I'm at.

MI7 has two things against it: too long and part 1.

Barbie is the only movie I really want to see this summer. Short and sweet.

Oppenheimer, well, would prefer to watch this movie on streaming rather then spending over 3 hours(!) at the cinema. Preposterous.

15 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

This is purely anecdotal so don't take it as gospel but at least in the Elemental showing I went to the TMNT trailer got the biggest reaction out of the kids (same when I saw Spider-Verse), I don't know how well it will do but I suspect it will be sleeper hit. I have faith in it.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Runaway Bride took 19 days to reach $100 million. Flash will beat it by one day, proving he’s not the slowest speedster on the map. 

A win is a win!

tove styrke run GIF

19 days is a blink of an eye. If you want to see a movie legging it out to $100 million the champ is The Rocky Horror Picture Show at just under 40 years. Another 40 years and it might hit $200 million.😉

• Astonished 4