Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

4 minutes ago, Mr Terrific said:

I need to check that out. 

It’s an underrated take on the Fantastic Four. Contrary to others, I actually dig the idea of Marvel having deconstructions of the Superman and Batman archetype and DC doing vice-versa with the Fantastic Four. Mister Terrific alone is one bad ass and underrated DC character, add the fourth wall breaking of Plastic Man and I feel like that’s an interesting concept to explore, as much as The Authority.

23 minutes ago, baumer said:

I don't follow tracking anymore so can someone tell me what insidious is tracking to open at? If I recall correctly the last one still opened above 20 million. Is there any reason to think this one won't?

$20-ish million. Right now ticket sales suggest it might slide under, but with holiday likely dampening sales, reasonable to expect late rush and wind up over 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

Worldwide OW wasn't even 50% of Crystal Skull on a budget 150m higher than Crystal Skull:hahaha:

This run is becoming interesting.  Let's see if it can beat Raiders of the Lost Ark unadjusted (390m WW). Domestically let's see if it can beat Temple of Doom (180m DOM).

Between this and Flash, I'm glad audiences are standing up to these bloated CGI nostalgia movies and demanding better.

No and.no.

55 minutes ago, baumer said:

It's nice to see all movies not only survive the studios analysis and prognostication of soft Sunday drops but actually increase from there already optimistic numbers.

The benefits of summer tentpoles pulling numbers like January filler (what, had to get it back on doom and gloom track). 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Haha 1

Seems like Elemental will be #2 afterall with 12.1M and without any big movie next weekend, i’m expecting it to drop ~20% next weekend

Should reach 108-110M by next SUN 

4x multiplier is locked, let’s see if it can survive through July but i’m confident in 140M DOM and hopeful for 150M 

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, JWR said:

If it follows Inside Out's run at the same point in time: 129.9M

If it follows Finding Nemo: 158.6M

So we should be getting somewhere inbetween there.

• Like 8

As I’ve mentioned before, I think Elemental needs to do something extreme in terms of legs before we can talk about saving any real face for the brand. It’s so far down in the hole, almost no way for it to climb to profitable and I’m not convinced any kind of 4x multi means people think it’s top tier Pixar or anything.

Definitely don’t get that sense, and how could it not majorly course correct with 29m OW? It’s absurd how abysmal that really is for summer Pixar. Again, show me like 6x+ before we can say the movie maybe did anything to help the brand. We basically need the summer version of PiB run for that. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • ...wtf 3
  • Knock It Off 1

Caught up on this thread and did I really just see an argument over RT Audience Score being more reliable than Cinemascore or PostTrak? Holy shit.

I mean if there's anything The Flash, Shazam 2, Black Adam and Indy have shown us, is that RT Audience Scores are borderline useless. The people logging in to take a picture of their ticket and write a review on RT are not representative of the general audience at all; it's a very specific segment of the population that you can barely take into account. If it's borderline perfect or if it's bad then maybe.

The RT Audience Score is populated by people that either were already predetermined to love a film, or predetermined to hate it, with significantly more of the former. So the odds of getting actually good info out of it is small. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

As I’ve mentioned before, I think Elemental needs to do something extreme in terms of legs before we can talk about saving any real face for the brand. It’s so far down in the hole, almost no way for it to climb to profitable and I’m not convinced any kind of 4x multi means people think it’s top tier Pixar or anything.

Definitely don’t get that sense, and how could it not majorly course correct with 29m OW? It’s absurd how abysmal that really is for summer Pixar. Again, show me like 6x+ before we can say the movie maybe did anything to help the brand. We basically need the summer version of PiB run for that. 

Yeah, it’s still really bad for a Pixar movie. If it blows up on Disney+ or wins the Best Animated Feature Oscar it might save face. 

Just now, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Yeah, it’s still really bad for a Pixar movie. If it blows up on Disney+ or wins the Best Animated Feature Oscar it might save face. 

It'll get nommed but no chance it wins against Miyazaki and Spider-verse

• Like 1

It is a bit weird though how frontloaded the studios decided to be with the family fare for the summer. Why cram Mermaid, ATSV and Elemental into 3 weeks when they knew nothing else notable was coming afterwards? Elemental certainly should have an edge there for late summer legs as the most recent of the 3

2 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

It might blow up on Disney plus like Turning Red or Luca. Doubt it wins the Oscar for animation tho. Maybe Thomas Newman wins for music

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It is on track to top Nemo for the best summer legs for a Pixar movie and perhaps 2nd best overall for a Pixar movie.

• Thanks 1