Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

8 minutes ago, Morieris said:

If Ruby isn't the lowest OW for an animated movie with that amount of theaters (3400, per the numbers), I'd be surprised.

Depends how you want to define the cut-off, as lowest PTA in min X theaters 

Above 3000? It’s the worst, with a $1529 PTA (est), below Strange Magic and Spirit Untamed. But drop the cut-off just a bit to 2500+ and you find Arctic Dogs (and a few others)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Issac Newton said:

That's beyond pathetic. Did Disney just not promote the movie in China? I know Indy, like Star Wars, carries very little nostalgia in most of the new markets (China, Korea, India etc. had their first proper Indy exposure with Crystal Skull), but 2.3M opening is hilariously awful.

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

That's beyond pathetic. Did Disney just not promote the movie in China? I know Indy, like Star Wars, carries very little nostalgia in most of the new markets (China, Korea, India etc. had their first proper Indy exposure with Crystal Skull), but 2.3M opening is hilariously awful.

They let it die, but getting shows were tough because of local Breakout of "Lost In The Stars" Chinese Adaptation of Soviet Film "Mousetrap" ~ $318.5M until SUN in 11-Days!

• Astonished 1

11 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I picked Spidey to win summer, but I'm not convinced we won't have a dream run for a movie for the last half of the year yet to take the #2 spot from Spidey DOM...

I don't want animation to be #1 and #2 cause movies are essentially live action that's the whole point of them. I acknowledge that Mario is too big to beat but Spidey will crawl to 400M and 400M while tall order is not as unbeatable as Mario's 573M. OS and WW I think somehting could challenge GOTG Vol 3. Mario remains unbeatable there too.

• Astonished 1

16 minutes ago, Dephira said:

People will always turn out for a well executed Star Wars story. The exact plot elements aren’t that important. Mandalorian and Andor did really well. TRoS treated everything like a joke, which is a death knell for a franchise that the fans take… quite seriously, to put it charitably. I hope to God Disneys lesson isn’t to play it “safe” and retell the original trilogy one more time. 

How did TRoS treat everything like a joke?

13 minutes ago, excel1 said:

1980s properties are done. It's too long ago. This would be like releasing a sequel to a 1950s film in 1995. Way way too late and past their prime. 

If they wanted to revive this franchise, they should've acted fast

They already finished their nostalgia quota with Crystal Skull.

The time was to give the reigns to some new, upcoming star and revive the franchise.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I don't want animation to be #1 and #2 cause movies are essentially live action that's the whole point of them. I acknowledge that Mario is too big to beat but Spidey will crawl to 400M and 400M while tall order is not as unbeatable as Mario's 573M. OS and WW I think somehting could challenge GOTG Vol 3. Mario remains unbeatable there too.

I thought 400 for Spidey was dead a while ago 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I don't want animation to be #1 and #2 cause movies are essentially live action that's the whole point of them.

Movie definitions

a recording of moving images that tells a story and that people watch on a screen or television

a series of moving images shown on a screen, usually with sound, that make up a story.

a work of visual art that simulates experiences and otherwise communicates ideas, stories, perceptions, feelings, beauty, or atmosphere through the use of moving images.

a series of moving pictures recorded with sound that tells a story, watched at a movie theater or on a television or other device

None of them say Animation isn't movie

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

3 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I thought 400 for Spidey was dead a while ago 

It shouldn't be. it's holding really well on weekdays. Unless the combo of MI and Barbenheimer cuts its screens too much it should crawl over.  Rn it isn't running far behind Wonder Woman which made 412M. Only about 4M.

52 minutes ago, screambaby said:

Where are they getting 60 from?

Wouldn't it have to do 17 after doing 19? Don't see it...

I've said this about three or four times in this thread, it's a holiday Monday in Canada so the Sunday drop should be a little bit softer. That's why all these studios are projecting numbers on Sunday that they are.

And all you guys are automatically taking deadlines word that the budget is now 329, all they're saying is that they have a source that's saying it's that much. Anybody can claim that. Doesn't mean it's true.

• Like 1

Just came out from the theater. 90% were over 60 yo. Movie is bad. Zero emotions. Zero fun. Zero excitement. Basically, exit genius Steven Spielberg and enter depressing James Mangold. It doesn’t even feel like an Indy film despite having all the ingredients, at least on paper. It is lifeless. Well deserved biggest flop (maybe) ever incoming.

Edited by Mr Roark
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

Spider-Verse is at $267M overseas and $607M worldwide according to The Numbers. Is there still a chance at $700M?

Yes unless its screen count gets abnormally slashed which I don't think will happen. If anything gets cut down that will be underperformers. Spidey is holding exceptionally well.