baumer

Weekend Thread | July 7-9 | Weekend Estimates on Page 32

2 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

lol yeah...I feel like some people here are really naive. They need to go to one of Trump's rallies and ask people's thoughts about Hollywood...you'd hear some utterly crazy conspiracy theories

You're exactly right, too.  2 things can be right and both can be exclusive, so it's hard for Hollywood to thread a needle, ESPECIALLY with blockbuster budgets.  

It may be a question of balance and budgets in the industry to get it back fully healthy.  Folks were saying the "blockbuster every week of the summer paradigm" broke after Covid and this summer has been a disaster for the strategy for almost every studio...so, maybe we need fill in weekends that attract niche markets around the blockbusters vs yet more blockbusters (and those niches are reached to then go to the blockbusters, since they start reforming the movie going habit)...but those niche movies REALLY go after their niche.  Like say a Love Simon, Woman King, and Sound of Freedom all existing in summer weekends with no big releases...the way horror tends to do as the one low budget niche market (since it's rare now to see horror ever go above $125M DOM without it being a known huge property, but they don't need to ever go that high with most budgets under $20M).  Low budget movies that give theater subscribers material to see and give the niche markets something to come out for with "fresh" money...keeping both groups happy and coming out to the theaters over and over and over again...

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Probably gonna regret asking this, but why has sound of freedom become a culture war totem? It’s not even like reviews are bad.

Long story short, a lot of the film's advertising is being aimed (not at everybody mind you, please do not twist this) at QAnon crazies and other evil people who are bad. Jim Caviezel, the star, is promoting the film through these QAnon communities, with crazed beliefs about child traffickers draining the blood of children to obtain adrenochrome.

Now of course, some say that because the movie itself doesn't contain QAnon content and isn't like a Dinesh D'Souza pic, then that means it's fine and boosts theaters. But also this is empowering people who want me dead and believe my queer brothers and sisters are grooming and killing children. You can decide for yourself which side you want to be on, but we are not discussing it here (hint hint hint hint hint to anybody who wants to start this again)

• Like 19
  • ...wtf 2
  • Knock It Off 2

And to think both Sound Of Freedom and Nimona where both Disney properties via the 20th Century Fox purchase rejected by the mouse and now they are both doing great in critical reception, Streaming (Netflix) and especially box office at the same time Indy 5 is flopping. That's a lot of Ls in a week.

At least Elemental is having a very nice comeback.

Edited by Boxx93

3 minutes ago, Eric Bunny said:

Long story short, a lot of the film's advertising is being aimed (not at everybody mind you, please do not twist this) at QAnon crazies and other evil people who are bad. Jim Caviezel, the star, is promoting the film through these QAnon communities, with crazed beliefs about child traffickers draining the blood of children to obtain adrenochrome.

Now of course, some say that because the movie itself doesn't contain QAnon content and isn't like a Dinesh D'Souza pic, then that means it's fine and boosts theaters. But also this is empowering people who want me dead and believe my queer brothers and sisters are grooming and killing children. You can decide for yourself which side you want to be on, but we are not discussing it here (hint hint hint hint hint to anybody who wants to start this again)

Two days ago I would have dug into this post eric. It's a little bit out of line, and that's being kind.

The film first and foremost is about fucking child trafficking and how it needs to be stopped. Period!!

• Like 3
  • Heart 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Transformers set to break ATG Record of "Avengers: Endgame" in Peru! Already the 2nd Highest Grossing Film of the country ~ passing "The Lion King"

Uhhh… is there hyperinflation? I guess RotB has some action in Peru so maybe just some huge local boost factor 😳

14 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Why does everything always become a battle on the Internet? 🤣

Peace… is boring   

Spoiler

Of course sometimes boring ain’t so bad 🥸

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LegionGPT said:

Uhhh… is there hyperinflation? I guess RotB has some action in Peru so maybe just some huge local boost factor 😳

Pretty sure Paddington likes to collect Transformers toys in his spare time. That seems like a silly quirk of his.

• Astonished 1

Just now, Eric Bunny said:

Pretty sure Paddington likes to collect Transformers toys in his spare time. That seems like a silly quirk of his.

Collecting transformers and repelling Russia invasions, two excellent pastimes

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Two days ago I would have dug into this post eric. It's a little bit out of line, and that's being kind.

The film first and foremost is about fucking child trafficking and how it needs to be stopped. Period!!

Due respect, Jim Caveziel is undeniably a very outspoken actor with controversial views. He has claimed people with my political views are working with “Lucifer.” 
As someone who actually works with abused children and has for decades… NO. I don’t concede that a man of his views can consider me evil. 
I don’t have to bow down to him when I’ve dealt with for real situations while he does TED talks. 
It is 100% a fact that people with his exact message monetize real suffering and throw rocks at actual professionals. 
I don’t know what is in Jim Cavziel’s heart and I will skip this movie. But some of “Lucifer’s army” don’t need his guidance. 

• Like 9
  • Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Eric Bunny said:

Who mods the moderators? Thinking something (not acts) makes a person evil? What is it most people think should be done with evil people? Usually at the least prison.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rebelscum86 said:

Who mods the moderators?

The author of the first pinned post in this thread telling everybody not to discuss this aspect of the movie either way.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Terrific said:

Due respect, Jim Caveziel is undeniably a very outspoken actor with controversial views. He has claimed people with my political views are working with “Lucifer.” 
As someone who actually works with abused children and has for decades… NO. I don’t concede that a man of his views can consider me evil. 
I don’t have to bow down to him when I’ve dealt with for real situations while he does TED talks. 
It is 100% a fact that people with his exact message monetize real suffering and throw rocks at actual professionals. 
I don’t know what is in Jim Cavziel’s heart and I will skip this movie. But some of “Lucifer’s army” don’t need his guidance. 

I thought Lucifer was cancelled by Netflix.

• Haha 1