baumer

Weekend Thread | July 7-9 | Weekend Estimates on Page 32

6 minutes ago, harry713 said:

In what way? Theaters won't show them? 

No SAG means no talk show appearances, no interviews, no press tour, no red carpet. Promotion goes down, meaning less eyes on the film, meaning less word, meaning less walk-ups.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

No SAG means no talk show appearances, no interviews, no press tour, no red carpet. Promotion goes down, meaning less eyes on the film, meaning less word, meaning less walk-ups.

Ah ok that's what I figured. Well in that case Barbie and Opp are fine. They've been in the public eye with various promotions and brand deals for weeks now. Even if that stopped this week I don't think it's going to change anything. 

Edited by harry713
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Checking the charts - how is it possible that WB only has one film in release - The Flash - A24, Focus, Lionsgate and even Music Box, Magnolia and Janus have more films in release.  Crazy.  I know they cut their slate but they used to have 20+ releases a year.  No wonder they have so much time, resources and money to promote Barbie.

Barbie

The Meg 2

Blue Beetle

The Nun 2

Dune:Part 2

Wonka

The Color Purple

Aquaman 2

8 movies in the next six months...

Edited by efialtes76

15 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

Not even that, but no SAG means nothing's allowed to be filmed or shot. So it's a rough issue where there's way less promotion and we'll have to experience some delays as well and see some finished films all ready to drop this fall get pushed back, causing tons of marketing confusion in the process. All of this is bad news for theaters, who are already dealing with limited product. Depending on how long this strike lasts, things might get ugly like the COVID times.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Eric Bunny said:

Not even that, but no SAG means nothing's allowed to be filmed or shot. So it's a rough issue where there's way less promotion and we'll have to experience some delays as well and see some finished films all ready to drop this fall get pushed back, causing tons of marketing confusion in the process. All of this is bad news for theaters, who are already dealing with limited product. Depending on how long this strike lasts, things might get ugly like the COVID times.

well no filming involved SAG affiliated actors i imagine? So lots of found footage horror made for pennies and maybe some zombie movies

8 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

well no filming involved SAG affiliated actors i imagine? So lots of found footage horror made for pennies and maybe some zombie movies

Animated films won't be affected either unless they have SAG actors doing VO work.

1 hour ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Anyone who chooses to film will be blacklisted by SAG and labeled a scab, so that's a dangerous route for a budding actor to take.

1 hour ago, Eric Bunny said:

I’ve been saying this for a while. People here are underestimating the effects of a SAG / WGA strike can have. If it happens, buckle up.

2 hours ago, harry713 said:

I agree about the marketplace being open. I guess what I mean't is SMB exploded out the gate with crazy demand and then was carried to a nice multi with great legs due to lack of competition. Elemental was DOA and is now carrying itself to a respectable total thanks to WOM and lack of competition. So while they both have some of the summer seasons best legs, they came about them in different ways. 

It might be controversial, and this is coming from someone that actually digs Super Mario Bros’ film, a lifelong Nintendo nerd and owns the film in digital: people thinking SMB would be the biggest of the year if it was released at Vol. 3’s or ATSV’s dates are fooling themselves and setting up for disappointment for a potential SMB sequel. Paramount needs to be savvy about this, because the release date definitely played a major part on how big the film went, it wasn’t just because it is a crowd pleaser.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

It might be controversial, and this is coming from someone that actually digs Super Mario Bros’ film, a lifelong Nintendo nerd and owns the film in digital: people thinking SMB would be the biggest of the year if it was released at Vol. 3’s or ATSV’s dates are fooling themselves and setting up for disappointment for a potential SMB sequel. Paramount needs to be savvy about this, because the release date definitely played a major part on how big the film went, it wasn’t just because it is a crowd pleaser.

It's the same reason I think we're going to see strange second weekend drops for MI:7

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

It's the same reason I think we're going to see strange second weekend drops for MI:7

People don’t really care much about the whole "beginning of the Summer dates" like they did before COVID. Also I’d argue that the way that 2023 films were positioned made them not to perform as much as they possibly could. Disney, WB, Sony and Paramount need to get more savvy about how using ‘off season’ dates like April, August, October and etc. An way too crowded Summer isn’t good for either movie theaters or the studios.

To my favorite Portugal man:

I love Super Mario Bros. It made me actually love Chris Pratt’s take on him which I truly thought it would be impossible. The problem with the way BOT hypes this film is that a sequel on a crowded date it’s bound to have diminishing returns, and no one wants that. My understanding is that while SMB could potentially open big, it would have its legs cut in half if it was released in the May-Jul window. I’m a big proponent of off-season release dates, Deadpool is still my favorite Valentine’s film and that was a perfect use of that date in creative ways. Black Panther was the perfect Black History Month film and I hope that the next Black Panther film aim for that or the Juneteenth angle.

We really don’t need clickbait takes of SMB2 failing to top SMB and people claiming that the age of videogame adaptations are over. I need my Metal Gear saga to happen in live action.

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

People don’t really care much about the whole "beginning of the Summer dates" like they did before COVID. Also I’d argue that the way that 2023 films were positioned made them not to perform as much as they possibly could. Disney, WB, Sony and Paramount need to get more savvy about how using ‘off season’ dates like April, August, October and etc. An way too crowded Summer isn’t good for either movie theaters or the studios.

This year of films shows the necessity of using the whole calendar year to its fullest. I don't think the school year affects the box office the way it used to because I don't think kids who go to school are seeing films the way they used to.

So, for Box office perspective on this week, I watched and reviewed SoF tonight - you can see the review in the SoF thread, if you can make it through the other stuff.

Overall, if you don't want to wade through, B/B- from me and the spouse, and a movie worth watching, but not before you've seen Spidey.

And to make this directly about Box Office, I was somehow at a sold out screening, so I expect a decent Monday, b/c I didn't expect to be at a sold out screening.