baumer

Weekday numbers July 10-13

16 minutes ago, baumer said:

No.

They have a brand new thing they do which has never been done before I don't think. They encourage people to purchase tickets for those who don't have the financial wherewithal to go see the movie. They purchase them, the tickets go up on the website and they are free for anybody to claim. So the grosses are not artificially inflated, it's real money.

This seems like something that can be so easily manipulated tbh 

I mean, i’m sure someone is paying so the money is real and it’s what it matters, but this can be done in so many ways if it pass through an website 

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 3

Just now, MightyDargon said:

If the studios resort to "block booking" and free tickets to pad film grosses their days as profitable enterprises that make product people actually want to pay for are DONE.

But the tickets aren't free. Somebody has already bought and paid for them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

In India, over the last 2 years, there have been 3-4 RW movies which were promoted by the party in power and its leaders encouraged their supporters to go and watch the movie in theatres. Normally, these kinda movies wouldn't have done much business at boxoffice as the leads were not well known actors (star power is big in India) but they ended up being massive hits (like among top5 grossers of the year). I feel like we are gonna see something similar happening in US in next few years...maybe for like 1-2 movies a year, we might see official GOP party, leaders will be asking their party supporters to go and watch a movie.

I doubt it, b/c that party has taken such an anti-Hollywood line...

I mean, as you noticed, no Republican said anything about this movie til it made over $50M...and now Trump announces TODAY, 10 DAYS IN, he is gonna do a screening to jump on the WOM bandwagon.  After it's a big hit.

And, I doubt the studio wants it, but again, they had no money for a marketing campaign, so they get what they get from the internet for this movie...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, harry713 said:

Oh so it's not part of the 49.5 current gross? 

I'm actually not sure. I too would like to know. I would assume it's probably part of the current gross because somebody bought the tickets already.

5 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

If the studios resort to "block booking" and free tickets to pad film grosses their days as profitable enterprises that make product people actually want to pay for are DONE.

Oh so these tickets are purchased ahead of time for a specific showing/seat, and regardless of if it's claimed it expires with that showing? Interesting... 

I thought it was like an open ticket and you can then apply it towards an open seat at any future showing. This way seems like it would be more honest than what's actually happening. 

Edited by harry713

48 minutes ago, baumer said:

LMFAO the academy is going to ignore this. It's not getting any Oscar nominations this year. That you don't have to worry about

The director of the Hunter Biden movie made by Breitbart News was just invited into the Academy, so who even knows anymore?

Angel Studios did a breakdown of the Pay It Forward tickets vs the rest, at least for the first day. The majority of the first day figure was typical sales, like 80 percent. Dan Murrell's box office video brought up the question of whether Angel Studios is including the ticket money when it is donated or at the time of redemption by the moviegoer.

1 minute ago, baumer said:

But the tickets aren't free. Somebody has already bought and paid for them.

They are "free" to the people actually taking them. Block booking is a sign that actual humans willing to pay money for your shit are far less than they appear and means your spinning to try to pretend your product is more popular than it is. Meaning "going to the movies" is actually dying as something real people are willing to pay money to do and the enterprise will fall apart soon enough. 

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

This seems like something that can be so easily manipulated tbh 

I mean, i’m sure someone is paying so the money is real and it’s what it matters, but this can be done in so many ways if it pass through an website 

I don't see how. The studio is not going to get ripped off, theaters are certainly not going to get ripped off. You buy a ticket it goes on the website it becomes free for someone else to take possession of. It seems pretty simple to me.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I doubt it, b/c that party has taken such an anti-Hollywood line...

I mean, as you noticed, no Republican said anything about this movie til it made over $50M...and now Trump announces TODAY, 10 DAYS IN, he is gonna do a screening to jump on the WOM bandwagon.  After it's a big hit.

And, I doubt the studio wants it, but again, they had no money for a marketing campaign, so they get what they get from the internet for this movie...

thing is in the example where I was talking about India, the party and it's hardcore supporters hate Bollywood (Indian version of Hollywood) just like how GOP hates Hollywood. It's a similar scenario...now that Trump said something about the screening, some other GOP leaders will also pounce on this opportunity. Next time when you have a similar movie, I wouldn't be surprised if some of these studios work in co-ordination with some GOP leaders right from start to promote the movie. These kind of movies bring out audience who rarely go to theatres to watch any movies

I don't see how. The studio is not going to get ripped off, theaters are certainly not going to get ripped off. You buy a ticket it goes on the website it becomes free for someone else to take possession of. It seems pretty simple to me.

Well, remember how they lumped all the online sales in with the first day so that they could have the headline of 'beating' Indy 5?  

Are they doing that everyday or was that the only time they have done that so far? 

All the PIF money should count for sure, it's someone buying a ticket after all. I think some people are worried because this seems like a way you could potentially massage the numbers in favorable ways.  Not saying they are with this movie, but there are definitely some grifters that are watching this and getting ideas lol.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I believe the value of the pay it forward tickets are included in the gross on the day on which it is ultimately redeemed. The money is already in the studio’s hand, but it goes to the theater - who then reports to ComScore - when it’s used 

• Like 5

People on here don't get it. There have been political "troll campaigns" to get people to spend money on substandard product forever by bulk buying through entities which are sympathetic politically in the US. Remember all those shitty political books and bios of political figures that inexplicably end up on the NY Times bestseller list? A lot of those were bought by various churches or "foundations" or whatever. Essentially the tickets for this movie are likely to work similarly but end up bought through churches or whatever and then given away to people. Meaning individual human beings (the lifeblood of sales in a capitalistic enterprise) aren't likely driving the overall figures for this as they would for a conventional movie. If Hollywood DID start doing this for a conventional movie it would mean their ticket sales are DEAD. If they simply released other political/religious spam this way it means that conventional movies are DEAD. So unless you like nothing but religious/political spam this situation is very thin gruel.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Well, remember how they lumped all the online sales in with the first day so that they could have the headline of 'beating' Indy 5?  

Are they doing that everyday or was that the only time they have done that so far? 

All the PIF money should count for sure, it's someone buying a ticket after all. I think some people are worried because this seems like a way you could potentially massage the numbers in favorable ways.  Not saying they are with this movie, but there are definitely some grifters that are watching this and getting ideas lol.  

As much as I want to see the movie do well and be successful that headline on the first Tuesday or Wednesday or whatever it was when it said it made more than Indiana Jones was the biggest most obvious form of creative accounting I've ever seen LOL

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

This is going to be such a pathetic flop. A sequel no one ever asked for in a genre which stopped making money nearly a decade ago. Who did Nia blackmail to get this greenlit?

The funny part is you could have said the exact same thing about 2 when it came out. It’s borderline absurdist comedy in its own right to think of the idea of a 3rd one actually coming, to theaters no less… 

As much as I want to see the movie do well and be successful that headline on the first Tuesday or Wednesday or whatever it was when it said it made more than Indiana Jones was the biggest most obvious form of creative accounting I've ever seen LOL

The Rock glamorized ad by Deadline being defensive of Black Adam performance and explaining how the movie was a huge success will always be the GOAT on creative accounting imo

Lives changed after that 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

The Rock glamorized ad by Deadline being defensive of Black Adam performance and explaining how the movie was a huge success will always be the GOAT on creative accounting imo

Lives changed after that 

Meh, I forgot about it in a month and only remembered after Shazam 2 came out and people went HURR DURR ROCK MAKE BILLIE GROSSER on here in their usual kneejerk reactions.

Not that Black Adam is worth commemorating in any way at this point.

9 minutes ago, baumer said:

And it didn't really need it, b/c it won 2 more days this week - I think those wins were unexpected...

• Like 1

Since we're on free tickets, on the tracking thread, I have put today's codes for Cobweb (2 free Atom) and TMNT ($30 off 4)...so, more movies are going the "get good presales going" route.

And yes, I bought the TMNT ones...b/c free is free, and I'm in for more free...if Oppy or Barbie wants to send free my way, I'll do the double, too:)...

PS - Ruby scared TMNT, I think...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1