baumer

Weekday numbers July 10-13

6 hours ago, John Marston said:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl3313272321/?ref_=bo_tt_gr_1

looking eerily similar to the 5 day opening of Transformers 5

My back of the napkin expectations were for a +75/+25/-25% FSS, so this is an amazing pull

Something around $45M for the 3-day (keeping in mind Paramount still has like $2M hanging around from the EA shows they're going to add into the gross total at some point)

Edited by M37

18 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I am not leaving the $300M+ DOM train til this movie is dead and buried outside the theatrical market...then, I'll go through my 5 stages of grief and wonder how an indy movie sniped it right before open...

I mean, that's my biggest wow - it's not even making 2x/day of an indy movie that opened 11 days ago now...

But I have hope that this will have a GotG3 run - semi-disappointing open followed by a long steady run b/c it's guaranteed to run past Barbie/Oppy, so it's around til Labor Day...

I have a pet theory about what happened with Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3’s opening that doesn’t align with the current BOT narrative or Bob Iger’s understanding of dilute interest in the MCU due to too many Disney+ shows, which is the following:

Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3’s "sin" might be correlated to Quantumania’s and Thor: Love and Thunder’s receptions sure, but it’s lack of initial momentum could very well be also related to the fact that it’s not really a sequel to Avengers: Endgame, it’s a sequel to Vol. 2 and that came out in 2017, 5 years ago. If it had come out sooner and had China (which Multiverse of Madness didn’t and would likely get to $1B if it did), I think it would have opened a lot  better. 

I also bring Multiverse of Madness because that film and No Way Home had a gimmick that it’s the actual MCU super power which seems people always forget: crossovers. I love The Winter Soldier, but the reason why Civil War blew up was because it was much more than a simple Captain America’s story. So Vol. 3 had two pivotal things running against it: a sequel that spent too much time in the oven and a sequel without a gimmick that made the Guardians team up with other MCU characters.

And when I say this, I’m not complaining, I wouldn’t trade how Gunn developed this trilogy for anything, but I feel like crossovers are the secret sauce of the MCU now, and one we haven’t got for a while now. We are getting that with Deadpool 3 though, and I expect that one to blow up.

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I don't think a run has ever shocked me as much as Dead Reckoning P1. I am in absolute disbelief. 

TBF three day may come lower than RN but it will stay within same range 40-60M range for MI movies.

Also expected TGM effect though not as strong as some so it's kind of dissapointing but not really shocking .

For Indy is pretty shocking but at least that we could kind of see it coming from a mile way .

Now the flash is what I would call an utter shock. Sub 300m is nuts.

Getting back to MI I would still reserve judgement . It always opens small but legs are always strong and let's see how it holds against Barbiehiemer.

6 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Yeah except transformers was doing mega extended  opening weekends and 44/70m 5 day was big drop from that.

Highest opening for MI is 61m. And I don't need to talk about how leggy the franchise is.

Context pliz...

Had to double check this, but it’s correct, I totally forgot MI Fallout only opened to 61m. It felt much bigger at the time, because it managed a 3.6 multi! Gives me hope for this one. 

2 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Man china has been just depressing. OW has been around 20-30m range for a while now and even with strong WOM legs just don't spring up as you would like.

Maybe that’s one market that TGM is having an effect!

• Haha 3

The fact that DR likely won’tsniff 200 million while a shitty, horrendous Ant-Man film with awful CGI and  storytelling and with actual lines like “don’t be a dick”  still somehow went over 200 million is pretty deflating. Makes me want to step away from box office tbh

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 10
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

The fact that DR likely won’tsniff 200 million while a shitty, horrendous Ant-Man film with awful CGI and  storytelling and with actual lines like “don’t be a dick”  still somehow went over 200 million is pretty deflating. Makes me want to step away from box office tbh

What does Ant Man have to do with DR? These Marvel movies have a fanbase. Don't need to insult Antman just because DR is flopping hard

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

I don’t like this kind of mentality with box office message boards. I mean yeah Quantumania is an Ant-Man film, the one Marvel character I’m still dumbfounded that got not one, but a full trilogy, when he is a side character at best, but it’s not a pissing contest. Be glad that films like DoD and MI7 even get made, it’s a bleak future when the general consensus even among the audience is that they need to cut budgets for films like those.

In studio talk, this doesn’t mean just recasting the old and costly with the cheap and new, but also a shit load of Volume, green screen and Atlanta or London passing for every city and place on planet Earth. The way things are going, these two and MI8 might be the last of the globetrotting blockbusters we get in a good while.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t like this kind of mentality with box office message boards. I mean yeah Quantumania is an Ant-Man film, the one Marvel character I’m still dumbfounded that got not one, but a full trilogy, when he is a side character at best, but it’s not a pissing contest. Be glad that films like DoD and MI7 even get made, it’s a bleak future when the general consensus even among the audience is that they need to cut budgets for films like those.

In studio talk, this doesn’t mean just recasting the old and costly with the cheap and new, but also a shit load of Volume, green screen and Atlanta or London passing for every city and place on planet Earth. The way things are going, these two and MI8 might be the last of the globetrotting blockbusters we get in a good while.

Don’t give up on these types of movies! Here’s J Michael Straczynski explaining why Sense8, a globetrotting Netflix series that got canned after two seasons and an extended season finale is still not on blu-ray.

There’s clearly some value, long term, to putting in the dollars and actually going on location.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Man china has been just depressing. OW has been around 20-30m range for a while now and even with strong WOM legs just don't spring up as you would like.

How dominion made 150M with so so WOM still baffles me.

GVK made close to 190m in March 2021.

F9 made 216M.

Since the covid restrictions late last year. China has never been the same in regards to Hollywood

Yeah they loosened bans on marvel and other Hollywood tentpoles this year but it's still been just bleak for the most part.

7 minutes ago, lab276 said:

Don’t give up on these types of movies! Here’s J Michael Straczynski explaining why Sense8, a globetrotting Netflix series that got canned after two seasons and an extended season finale is still not on blu-ray.

There’s clearly some value, long term, to putting in the dollars and actually going on location.

I love JMS. Big fan of his initial Amazing Spider-Man run and Babylon 5 too. He is taking over Captain America’s comics soon, it will be the first time that I’ll be reading Captain America since Ed Brubaker left the books.

Not really a big fan of Captain America in the comics as I am of his in film, but I’ll be all over this.

Edited by ZattMurdock

23 minutes ago, John Marston said:

TBF MCU is way more popular franchise domestic than Mission impossible.

At the start of the year think considerable number of us had quantumania beating  DR domestically.