CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

To provide a small antidote of negativity, last year had 18 movies do over 100m, and we will be at 17 by the end of this month - and with TMNT, Meg, and Haunted Mansion, I'd say we probably get 19 by the end of summer. Add Dune, Marvels, Aquaman, and a few others, and we get to about 26 over 100, which is not as good as the 31 from 2019 or 33 from 2018 but is a step forward. That's the generous read. The less generous read is that required much more product to get there and more people will tap out each passing year until it just dies.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Stickell said:

...is there evidence of that happening?

Nah it's people just being hyperbole as usual. There is no way it happens to M:I frankly and I'm willing to bet actual money on it.

There's a growing gap in the middle of the box office. The hits HIT HARD. But folks used to use their disposable income to maybe see a film that they weren't amazingly hyped for.

I think a combination of streaming and a lack of disposable income thanks to economic conditions means folks are willing to wait if it's not checking off their lists with pure 10s.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

TMNT should be fine, not sure about Meg 2. The first was considered an only okay movie (and didn't demand a sequel) and this is one arrive half a decade later. It reminds me of many action sequels that saw diminished returns. Will still be bigger than anything else that comes out the rest of August though in all likelihood.

Meg 2 could be a monster overseas. I don't if it will but I was personally blindsided by the first one's international success so it could absolutely happen again.

TMNT seems like an obvious breakout waiting to happen.

November and December have a bunch of movies that will obviously make it this year (strike or not) that should be very good for $100M+. Dune, Marvels, Hunger Games, Trolls, Wish, Wonka, Aquaman, Migration. It's August through October that are unknown if they will produce anything that hits the mark.

Just now, LegionWrex said:

Nah it's people just being hyperbole as usual. There is no way it happens to M:I frankly and I'm willing to bet actual money on it.

When I rail on the lunacy of some people around here people like Sylvester is who  I mean. Yeah they are going to Josstice league mission get out of here with that shit. 

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Eric Stickell said:

...is there evidence of that happening?

Also MI2 is a good movie, so like????

MI2 is laughable. I ironically audibly laughed at how ridiculous the movie was on my first viewing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

November and December have a bunch of movies that will obviously make it this year (strike or not) that should be very good for $100M+. Dune, Marvels, Hunger Games, Trolls, Wish, Wonka, Aquaman, Migration. It's August through October that are unknown if they will produce anything that hits the mark.

I'm not sold that Hunger Games gets there. Trailer plays to stone silence and J Law IS the franchise. Plus, it looks insanely bleak for an audience that doesn't go for that anymore.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yes Sep/Oct could be a real down time especially this year if the strike lasts into early fall. 

Edited by babz06

13 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Next weekend will be amazing and it is a rare kind of event that is helping both movies. After that I don't see anything else hitting 200m domestic for the rest of year. Maybe the Marvels can eek it out.

Clearly you forgot the inevitable 7th highest grossing movie of 2023

IMG_4803.jpg

Spoiler

Like come on if Elemental can make $170M DOM with the kind of marketing campaign it got, the lukewarm reviews that pestered for weeks post-Cannes, the generally just way less marketable premise, and the terrible sub-$30M OW, Wish is soooooooo going past $200M DOM

Just now, babz06 said:

Yes Sep/Oct could be a real down time especially if the strike lasts into early fall. 

One of Nun 2, Five Nights at Freddy (if they pivot off streaming), or Exorcist should crawl past 100 but that's it.

21 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Ghost becoming the third highest grossing movie of all time ww is also pretty insane 

Given how long films ran and the staggered global releases back then, it would be pretty hard to figure out if Pretty Woman actually hit 4th WW before Ghost passed it. They were only 3-4 months apart. 

• Like 1