CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

1 minute ago, M37 said:

Its far less of a good sign when the big movie opening came out on Tuesday rather than Thursday, which is what typically precipitates Wed to Thur drops, as shows are cut to make room for previews. Even NHF and Flash were up Wed to Thur, and that doesn't give me any hope for those legs moving forward

How much you think it can leg out? Is it over $200m dead for DoD?

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t understand this. I legitimately do not understand this. You have several good reasons to give Tom Cruise hell. But no one, and I say absolutely no one can criticize him for not being a trooper when it comes to keeping people working in a safe environment during COVID. And guess what? Same can be said about the Indiana Jones and Dial of Destiny production.

I know we all have the attention span of goldfishes these days, but the pandemic happened, millions and millions of people died and these productions kept soldiering on through one of the most scary times that we’ve ever faced. I see people caring about this film and wishing it could do more and then I see the treatment that DoD got and it pisses me off. Ford deserved better, yes. Cruise deserved better, yes. It is what it is, but I’m pretty sure that unlike The Flash, both these films will end up making their money back, even if it isn’t through box office receipts alone.

I agree, but I reckon even The Flash, over a longer period of time, will make it’s money back. Barring any tricky Hollywood accounting. 

• Like 1

Just now, lab276 said:

I agree, but I reckon even The Flash, over a longer period of time, will make it’s money back. Barring any tricky Hollywood accounting. 

The issue here is that The Flash doesn’t have anywhere to "go", so to speak. I can see DoD aging well as a final chapter to Indy, not really The Flash as a closer to the DCEU.

one has to wonder how WB ended up with l this debt to begin with, according to this thread even the giga bombs end up making money

how isn't every studio just swimming in cash, every film makes money clearly

Edited by JustLurking
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JustLurking said:

one has to wonder how WB ended up with l this debt to begin with, according to this thread even the giga bombs end up making money

Doritos factor. 

All studios are definitely going to have to rethink how much they are spending on these Blockbusters these days. Just because people are movie fans doesn't necessarily mean they are movie theater fans. The days of movies being able to get close to or surpass a billion dollars on a regular basis definitely seem to be over. People still enjoy their movies but with all the monthly fees they are paying for streaming services these days they don't seem to be as willing to give even more money to the theaters.

Blockbusters are probably going to need to be made with a 100-150 million budget instead of a 200-250 million budget if these studios want to continue to see significant returns on their movies.

2 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

If you understood at least one iota about WB, you’d know that their film division isn’t really the reason why they are in debt. But I digress, keep the schtick.

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

How much you think it can leg out? Is it over $200m dead for DoD?

Last week Indy grossed $38.65M for the week for a $133M total. It going to drop >50% vs MI7/losing PLFs (-57% Th/Th), call it $18M or so. Then say it doesn't get totally crushed by Barbenhimer, makes $9M that week (-50%). That would put it at $160M on 7/27, and just can't see it making $40M more off a $9M week. So yeah, dead, not even sure it gets to $180M, even with strong holds starting on 7/28. like $170M-$180M approximate range for total domestic would be my estimate, unless this weekend/week does better than -50%

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

If you understood at least one iota about WB, you’d know that their film division isn’t really the reason why they are in debt. But I digress, keep the schtick.

They're in debt because of the debt they absorbed from several other mergers. I'd argue Disco was stupid to absorb them and take on the debt in the first place. 

The DCEU Dregs have done them no favors though.

16 minutes ago, budice said:

Rolling Early Shows into the Fri number is a good question.  Sun, Mon, Tue or Thu? Sun + Mon?

Paramount basically threw out a $7M preview number, claimed it was Tuesday only, but in reality it was just pulled out of a hat (per Charlie Tuesday was actually $6.4M), and they saved the leftovers from the Sun/Mon shows to now add into and inflate the weekend

7sntx4.jpg

Edited by M37
  • Like 3
  • Haha 7

22 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

They are swimming in cash.

30 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I could honestly see not a single movie released in August making $50M+ total aside from TMNT and Meg 2. Staying power for everything that sticks around until then should be solid at least until sequel-heavy September arrives.

I think Gran Turismo can surprise, the reactions for it was shockingly quite strong

• Like 3