CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Welp, also, this. Claiming that Barbie is ‘original’ and Hollywood taking chances because Greta is the one directing it sounds kinda hilarious if you think too hard. It’s sort of saying that WB was daring when they got Nolan to direct Batman movies, or when Sony tackled Raimi with Spider-Man films. They are all brands, Barbie, Super Mario and hell, Top Gun too.

Franchise movies are ruling the world now, that’s for sure. Even Cameron gave up and decided to cash in with Avatar sequels for the rest of his career instead of starting over with the type of large risks he took on True Lies, Titanic, and the first Avatar movie.

Nolan is definitely treading in risky territory with his original projects. Hollywood tried an Oppenheimer movie in 1989 and it flopped hard with a $30M budget and only $4M of box office. They even had Paul Newman and it still flopped hard. Nolan’s project is an hour longer with a budget that’s 3-4 times larger. Very risky stuff, just as his projects with Inception, Interstellar, Dunkirk, and Tenet were pretty dang risky. 

SOF just keeps going up. Charlie had it last night at 6:00 then this morning at around 6:00 a.m. eastern time he bumped it up to 6.5 then it was at 7:00 and now the official estimate is 7.5 million.

• Like 1

FWIW I think that there is an element of swing to Barbie, sure it obviously isn't original but at least they are taking some creative risks, just like Spider-Verse. Beyond that, point is I am 99 percent sure theaters are fucked if they keep doing what they're doing, and only 96 percent sure they are fucked if they splurge on some big, risky/original projects. I'm a Democratic operative and I want us to nominate Whitmer or Warnock to maximize our long-term gain. I'm a Heat fan and I want us to trade contributors from our NBA Finals team to get Dame and maximize our upside. I'm a Tottenham fan and I want us to sell Harry Kane to PSG for $130 million euro of PSG blood money to benefit us in 2027. I recognize it is easier to say these things as a white guy with a stable job so it is easier for me to talk about risks, but still.

Edited by Cmasterclay

1 minute ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

poor tom cruise

I'm sure Dead Reckoning could do these numbers if Christopher McQuarie could have people "buy tickets" in bulk to donate them to a fradulent charity while the tickets go unused in empty theaters. Frankly Mojo and this site reporting these numbers as "reality" is the equivalent of me reporting that I broke Wilt Chamberlain's 100 point game at my local YMCA against middle schoolers. But I already got my one warning point for bringing up Sound of Freedom so I will say no more! 

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

6 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Sound Of Fury is nuts. I have not had one coversation with a friend or family member about it and if I brought it up they would have no idea it existed. 

I've never heard of this movie. When does it come out

• Like 1

Just now, JustLurking said:

Barbie is no different from superhero films, take it from me, guy who has every mcu film as their favorite film of every year

When has John Wick and M3GAN joined the MCU or the DCU? I mean, not that they couldn’t, but still.

4 minutes ago, Unfitclock said:

@across the Jat verse  the reason the international drop is so much is because of china because outside of china minus South Korea it’s doing more than fallout overseas

Korea + China is pretty significant though....40% of Fallout's international gross came from these 2 countries and it's likely gonna do 130M less than Fallout in these countries. Also no Russia where Fallout did like 10M. France was 2nd biggest market in Europe for Fallout and MI7's opening admits so far have been below Fallout there. Even opening in Germany is quite similar to Fallout. It will probably do better than Fallout in LATAM but might not be enough to cut down the huge dropoff from China + Barbie+Oppenheimer next week is gonna be big competition and loss of premium screens. My best guess would be around 600-625M Worldwide (425M OS + 180M-200M) Dom