CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

1 minute ago, LegionGPT said:

Uhhhhh… have you, perhaps, accidentally reversed the movie titles in this sentence?

I swear i remember the articles being about “oh it’s not so good but let’s see the legs” instead of outright calling a disappointment 

Maybe i’m mistaken with another movie 

As others mentioned, SoF makes up for MI7 opening a bit softer than expected DOM. Holdovers seem pretty impressive DOM too especially AtSV and Elemental. Not a bad weekend at the box office DOM at all. Next weekend and the weekend after that and the weekend after that should all be very, very strong with Oppenheimer, Barbie, Haunted Mansion, Mutant Mayhem and Meg 2.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

37M global fifth weekend lol 

450M here we gooo 

475m just to be safe  but thinking 500m+ .  If a 155m OS opening can barely dent this. Barbiehiemer will be a major threat domestic compared to OS I think.  This is gonna just keep legging out through August . TMNT is no threat OS. Japan still on the way.

Edited by Liiviig 1998
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Indy is on track to be the biggest bomb OF ALL TIME

Nah, that’s still The Flash. I bet that if we get to the Deadline’s breaking downs next year (not sure if those are done anymore), film will make a killing on PVOD. The audience for Indy is old and don’t attend movie theaters anymore. I made my peace with that. But biggest bomb? Nah.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Conservatives rushing out to see Sof but they ignored other films targeted at them like 13 Hours, Patriots Day, Only the Brave, and Richard Jewell.

That is why marketing matters so much. From those who have seen the movie, SoF seem nothing more from a standard action thriller. The movie even have a very strong participation from Hispanic people. But it is the marketing surrounding the movie that make the movie feel like a right-wing event. I must say Angel studio really engage their target audience in a way that no major Hollywood studio would ever attempt. They saw the past two election result and they know they have a big market to tap in.

I am hoping a trouble-free cinema next week. Can you imagine the audience of Barbie and SoF gathering in the same hall?  

22 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Weird to see outlets going hard on MI7 numbers considering they was so easy on Indy 5 way worse situation. 

But nice opening considering how it was looking 2 days ago even if it’s definitely disappointing. I don’t see many reasons to think it won’t reach 200M DOM. 

Should be enough for 650M WW, maybe even 700M depending on legs (Barbie doesn’t seem that big on Asia and Oppenheimer doesn’t looks like OS monster tbh). We saw very well received movies having outstanding legs this summer despite not great openings so let’s wait. 

But standard reception overall for the series, shows consistency, it just needs to have better luck with budget for Part 2

On the contrary, Flash and Indy got absolutely trashed by outlets (rightfully so). MI7 is being treated with much more delicacy. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I swear i remember the articles being about “oh it’s not so good but let’s see the legs” instead of outright calling a disappointment 

Maybe i’m mistaken with another movie 

Ah that’s fair there was some cope about the Jul 4 timing deflating the 3day. But I would say that overall MI7 is getting the extreme kiddie gloves compared to Indy from the press in terms as far as 300M movies doing 80M 5days go

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Conservatives rushing out to see Sof but they ignored other films targeted at them like 13 Hours, Patriots Day, Only the Brave, and Richard Jewell.

Juror #2 about to be WB's top priority post-strike

6 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

475- 500m+ .  If a 155m OS opening can barely dent this. Barbiehiemer will be a major threat domestic compared to OS I think.  This is gonna just keep legging out through August . TMNT is no threat OS. Japan still on the way.

I don’t want to go there yet but yeah… i won’t be surprised if it reached 360M by next weekend 

And it still just starting in markets like UK and Spain (UK apparently dropping like less than 10% and Spain opening bigger than MI7) 

I think it’ll be up to Japan, if it pulls a mini Korean run there yeah, 500M can happen 

Insanely good run, so much fun to follow 

Edited by ThomasNicole