CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

3 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

(I think Barbie/Oppenheimer will do well but other than that, is anyone gonna be confident for future summer releases? lol)

The next set of releases - Haunted Mansion, Meg, TMNT - are character/story based, so will matter less. Not having Seth Rogen able promote TMNT is definitely a negative though

The mid to late August calendar is going to really suffer though, lower level releases not having that interview / social media publicity to raise awareness (And yes, this includes Blue Beetle). Won't be surprised if some get pulled/pushed back

Wonder if Jann Mardenborough is still able to promote Gran Turismo?

12 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Meg 2 will be fine. That movies selling point is the pure reason it exists.

Does the shark have a SAG card?

• Astonished 1

Barbenhaimer casts already recorded most of the TV interviews we'll see next week. 

For other movies from the next weeks of course is a problem.

Red carpets, interviews, all these videos on buzzfeed and similar channels with games and everything were really important for example for a movie like Challengers. 

Edited by vale9001

17 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Top 5 next weekend thoughts

Barbie 148M

Oppie.  70M

MI7.      25M

SOF.      13M

Insidious 7M

Doubt Sound of Freedom will drop that hard. The increase this weekend is a sign that WOM is still building (helped by the theater expansion). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FunkMiller said:

Am I going mad here, or should everyone be riding Mission Impossible a hell of lot harder given it's three day was under Indy 5's with the same budget?

It's 3-day would have been higher given it had a 3-day release. Also, MI has a much better OS market share than Indy does.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

Am I going mad here, or should everyone be riding Mission Impossible a hell of lot harder given it's three day was under Indy 5's with the same budget?

It's a more backloaded franchise DOM and it's doing considerably better than Indy 5 OS will make potentially double Indy 5 WW when all's said and done. So... No. Not really.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

It's a more backloaded franchise DOM and it's doing considerably better than Indy 5 OS will make potentially double Indy 5 WW when all's said and done. So... No. Not really.

Yeah, fair play. It'll still struggle to make much of a profit on that budget.

14 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

Genuinely surprised MI:DR is coming in soft. I guess the audience general malaise is worse than expected. Should have strong legs though.

a combination of factors. Hype seemed to peak with the trailer released over a year ago, with nothing really releasing after until the second trailer in May, releasing just one week before Barbenheimer mania (with Oppenheimer being a film also directly targeted to older audiences and takes all PLFs which was a stupid decision), foolishly putting Part One in the title leading some to likely think this will just be a long trailer for the next one and Sound of Freedom being a surprise hit that is taking away many of the older white audiences that normally would have been interested in MI

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I wonder at what point are studios going to realize that the WGA strike (and now SAG) is hurting all their box office runs. 

There's no boycott or anything but I think MI would have done better it's first week if you had Tom Cruise on late night shows reminding the GA about the movie.

(I think Barbie/Oppenheimer will do well but other than that, is anyone gonna be confident for future summer releases? lol)

That's why I think a couple of movies this fall will be pushed back, not just as strike insurance for the 2024 schedule but also because they need star appearances to really help them out in getting awareness out there (this seems especially true of the movies that were planning to bow at the fall film festivals).

The sequels and IP-dependent titles (ala Kraven the Hunter, Wonka, The Color Purple, etc.) as well as the pricey star-driven dramas (Killers of the Flower Moon, Napoleon) will all stay since they're the ones that will do the heavy lifting at the box office regardless of whether the stars can promote them or not (though most - all? - of them already shot cast promotional material before July 13 that will be released during the weeks leading up to the opening dates), but I doubt stuff like Dumb Money or poor cursed Next Goal Wins will release this year if the stars are unable to hit the red carpets for those splashy festival premieres.

I know the poster didn’t have those intentions, but don’t lump a masterpiece like Only the Brave in with something as controversial as Sound of Freedom.

Not a knock on any film, but more of an Only the Brave appreciation post. What an excellent and emotional movie, and as someone who personally knows many firefighters who have put their lives on the line fighting the Canadian wildfires for the past 6 years, it’s such a beautiful story of friendship within and even despite of tragedy. Also a surprisingly poignant look at addiction. 

And if Kosinski goes from small firefighter drama to Top Gun freaking Maverick, you’ve got something special there. If you haven’t seen this movie, do it.

• Like 4

Hard to remember if there's ever been a box office run that's as hard for me to take seriously as it is for Sound of Freedom's entirely because of the "pay it forward" of it all (and the proof from inside that a lot of these "sold out" showings barely have actual human bodies in the theater watching it) and nope, can't think of one. Sorry lol.

• Like 3