CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

6 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

At the very least in several international markets there does seem to be bump up from Fallout. Maybe it's literally just the domestic end, though frankly it's far too early to tell on that note.

I know. You’re right. 
maybe Charlie’s number doesn’t have the early access bundled in? Unless he’s said otherwise. As paramount didn’t put it in with Tuesday or Wednesday’s number. 

Anyways, currently hoping for a major Saturday bump. Took a look at my local theater and Saturday is easily the strongest day yet in terms of sales and that's before walk ups (most of the showings seem to be near-sold out), so I still have faith.

Again, I think the quality of the film is high enough and the WOM strong enough that it will inevitably leg out, it's just a little sad that has to rely on that hope to begin with.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Brian Miller said:

Surely paramount will learn some lessons from DR1. DR2 isn't coming until 2025 anyway so they'll have time to adjust everything. 

Need same tactics like Fallout. That one had everything going for it.

I think 2024 Christmas is a good slot. Revive the franchise like Ghost Protocol did during the Holidays when MI3 underperformed.

And keep a sustained marketing campaign going

• Like 1

Just now, Algebra said:

I think 2024 Christmas is a good slot. Revive the franchise like Ghost Protocol did during the Holidays when MI3 underperformed.

And keep a sustained marketing campaign going

Over 60% filming is still left. I don't think it'll come next year given the strike and other circumstances. 

Probably summer 2025 they're aiming for now. Should release with 2 free weeks of PLF screens.

Keeping part 1 in the title was so incredibly  stupid once they knew this wasn’t a back to back thing where they’d have part 2 out within a year. I think it was always dumb to do that naming convention, but that really made no sense. Surely they could have thought of another name for 2. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Brian Miller said:

Over 60% filming is still left. I don't think it'll come next year given the strike and other circumstances. 

Probably summer 2025 they're aiming for now. Should release with 2 free weeks of PLF screens.

The majority action scenes are done though. Mcquarrie said they were still locked on 2024 summer before the SAG strike. So maybe now shits to 2024 Holidays. They need to absolutely lock the MI momentum that good WOM will inevitably and eventually generate for this down the line 

20 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

Anyways, currently hoping for a major Saturday bump. Took a look at my local theater and Saturday is easily the strongest day yet in terms of sales and that's before walk ups (most of the showings seem to be near-sold out), so I still have faith.

Again, I think the quality of the film is high enough and the WOM strong enough that it will inevitably leg out, it's just a little sad that has to rely on that hope to begin with.

I know this is hopium but could we be seeing a scenario wherein Barbenheimer reinvigorates moviegoing and results in renewed interest for movies released alongside and holdovers them like a mini TGM. MI7 might leg out pretty well if that’s the case

Edited by Algebra

2 minutes ago, Algebra said:

I know this is hopium but could we be seeing a scenario wherein Barbenheimer reinvigorates moviegoing and results in renewed interest for movies released alongside and holdovers them like a mini TGM. MI7 might leg out pretty well if that’s the case

This could happen but I'm not going to immediately put stock in it. A rising tide does lift all ships (and walk ups for Oppenheimer and Barbie will go to other movies if they are sold out) but at the same time screen loss and shifting interest is a thing to watch out for.

3 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

This could happen but I'm not going to immediately put stock in it. A rising tide does lift all ships (and walk ups for Oppenheimer and Barbie will go to other movies if they are sold out) but at the same time screen loss and shifting interest is a thing to watch out for.

While IMAX loss is an issue, other PLFs will still be available although ofc show times will be limited..but overall I don’t think screen loss will be horrendous in just its second weekend. 

17 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Have we ever had one of these Part 1s not disappoint at the box office? I guess DH1 did fine, but I definitely think many expected an increase there rather than simply staying flat. 

Potter. Twilight. 

John Wick isn't trash, they are fun, but M:I films are definitely better action films. Mission Impossible is literally the definitive and best action franchise in the world for the past decade.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, across the Jat verse said:

JW films are trash. I am shocked at people choosing those trash over MI films.

I think and I am serious here…a lot of people might find MI plots overly confusing and that’s why the franchise has hit a ceiling. 

JW is as simple as it gets to follow, as is F&F which is why they managed to break out 

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Potter. Twilight. 

Potter also was the first major one to do it as well so there was a novelty to it. Helps that they treated the two-part split of the book as like an actual event, we were getting trailers and footage for both parts a year prior to Part 1's release with a teaser and then the first major trailer was for both of them. Release dates were also close by, like only 8 months apart.

Still the best of the bunch to do it, they actually earned the two-parter.

Wick 4 was fun but over-long and a lot of the set-pieces started feeling repetitive. DR's set-pieces all felt so lively and intricate, and always switched gears when it felt like they were going to run out of steam. You also can't really compare Keanu to Cruise lol

I think something that Wick has over Mission, though, is a very serialized story. Since Mission's more self-contained, maybe the prospect of the first chapter of a two-part movie just didn't fit with audience expectations?