CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

9 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

At some point people are going to realize Chris Pratt's star power is weirdly underrated. His choice to swap places with Chris Pine in terms of on screen persona sucks but he just keeps cranking out hits. Is Pratt's star power narrative a victim of Tomorrow War going to streaming?  

I actually agree, Pratt has some pull.

12 hours ago, baumer said:

I decided tonight to watch mission Impossible ghost protocol. First of all I don't remember a goddamn thing about this movie LOL I'm about a half an hour in and the opening started with the prison break which I had no recollection of and now they're in the Kremlin using some translucent Shield to break in, I don't remember this either.

One thing that sucks is that Ving Rhames is not in this one. I don't know why they kept him out but you can't have a mission impossible movie without Ving rhames.

On the plus side Paula Patton is in it so that's good and according to the cast Jeremy Renner will be in this sometime. So far the opening half hour I'm enjoying this much better than dead reckoning.

It was a contract dispute

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TomThomas said:

I actually agree, Pratt has some pull.

I am going to side-eye this because there is very little proof of this.

Did people go see Mario because of him? Very unlikely.

Was he the primary draw for the Jurassic Park movies and not the dinosaurs? Probably not.

Was he the reason people flocked to the GOTG movies? Maybe. Maybe not.

Has he drawn eyeballs to anything else? Passengers? Or was that JLaw? That Amazon movie which few can name? Possibly.

I think the jury is out on his box office starpower in filling seats. I’m skeptical but I will keep an open mind.

• Like 3

Who cares who some people consider a draw. Pratt has SIX billion dollar movies. Maybe it's a coincidence, maybe not. This is the era of the IP. It's hard to gross big numbers without IP like in the old days. Chris is smart he chose these movies. More power to him

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Algebra said:

Can’t really call Domestic an underperformance if it’s essentially flat with MI6..Next week will be key

China for sure

Germany, Italy, Spain and South Korea (thus far) covered well by UK, Aus, India and others. Apparently hit franchise highs in 35 markets

if it legs out like MI6 the. It can move away from that disappointment label

19 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I am going to side-eye this because there is very little proof of this.

Did people go see Mario because of him? Very unlikely.

Was he the primary draw for the Jurassic Park movies and not the dinosaurs? Probably not.

Was he the reason people flocked to the GOTG movies? Maybe. Maybe not.

Has he drawn eyeballs to anything else? Passengers? Or was that JLaw? That Amazon movie which few can name? Possibly.

I think the jury is out on his box office starpower in filling seats. I’m skeptical but I will keep an open mind.

I would give him and Zoe Saldana credit for the first Guardians movie. They were a total D-List comic book team.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, baumer said:

It's really interesting that you mentioned you're the only one who has seen all the mission Impossible movies and you gave it the lowest score. That's exactly what happened to me with insidious part 5. I saw it with my brother and my 13 year old niece who loves horror movies but has only seen one insidious movie and my brother hadn't seen any of them. They enjoyed it way more than I did and I gave it the lowest score as well.

I guess the moral of the story is when you're five and seven deep into a franchise maybe we expect too much or maybe the filmmakers didn't do enough LOL

I am a massive Mission fan and watched  all the movies multiple times and I loved DR Part 1. Everybody is different how they feel about movies they see and for what reason. 

13 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Yea franchise best figures and 230m+ WW start is a disappointment for sure. It's not the films fault that some of the expectations were unrealistically high for a franchise that is delivering pretty much the same numbers the last 3 films.

BOT and r/rboxoffice can be insane sometimes.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Yea franchise best figures and 230m+ WW start is a disappointment for sure. It's not the films fault that some of the expectations were unrealistically high for a franchise that is delivering pretty much the same numbers the last 3 films.

Exactly

33 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Nielsen ratings show both Tomorrow War and Terminal List (TV Show) to have been very big hits for Amazon Prime. 

Passengers should ease 30% from yesterday’s $4.1M for $2.9M and a two day take of $7M. It received a B CinemaScore last night. No ‘A’s here among demos, but those under 25 gave it a B+. Jennifer Lawrence fans were out in force at 42%, giving it a B, while Chris Pratt’s club repped 36% also giving it a B.  Overall, Passengers was male heavy at 53%, 61% over 25.

https://deadline.com/2016/12/rogue-one-jennifer-lawrence-passengers-sing-assassins-creed-1201875103/

Both are very good numbers (or at least good percentages. Because the film flopped aggregate numbers aren't amazing). 

26 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Nielsen ratings show both Tomorrow War and Terminal List (TV Show) to have been very big hits for Amazon Prime. 

https://deadline.com/2016/12/rogue-one-jennifer-lawrence-passengers-sing-assassins-creed-1201875103/

Both are very good numbers (or at least good percentages. Because the film flopped aggregate numbers aren't amazing). 

The real test of Pratt’s star power would be a comedy like No Hard Feelings. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, John Marston said:

You can’t tell me that falling well below tracking and having a solid decrease despite the last movie being so well received is good. Still let’s see how it holds up 

It was tracking to open at $250m WW. It opened at $235m. Being $15m short of worldwide forecasts is not that bad.

And MI6 released at during a much healthier Box office period. MI7 is following a long list of underperformers and a few legendary bombs

1 minute ago, Algebra said:

It was tracking to open at $250m WW. It opened at $235m. Being $15m short of worldwide forecasts is not that bad.

And MI6 released at during a much healthier Box office period. MI7 is following a long list of underperformers and a few legendary bombs

talking about domestic tracking 

MI7 is doing fine, but why shouldn't have people expected to see at least some box office bump for the movie 1 year after TGM made $1.4B? I thought it would have some peceivable increase over Fallout, especially since that movie was so well received. I was one who thought the movie had a good chance to land between $900M-$1.1B, but I never thought it would reach TGM heights.

I suppose I'm just a BO noob but it would have made sense for the movie to have shown some growth over Fallout imo.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 2