CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

Just now, kayumanggi said:

Sorry for being off topic, but this is just bonkers if true. And we wonder why budgets balloon.

Get that money, The Rock. Movie stars making big money isn’t the problem of the film industry. Quite the contrary, they are the reason that the very idea of Hollywood survives to this day, regardless how much thing changes. Do you want to cut  salaries? Start with the CEOs insane bonuses.

24 minutes ago, Elegiental said:

Guardians came out forever ago and everyone who wants to see it in a theater has. Seems like a pretty fine time to go to streaming

It sets up a bad precedent though. Whenever a new movie comes out, audiences know they don't have long to wait so there's less of an incentive to watch in theaters or have repeat viewings. Movies are becoming less of an event that you must see in theaters unless you want a long wait.

I mean that's fine if studios are okay making less money. Something tells me they're not though.

Edited by poweranimals
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, poweranimals said:

It sets up a bad precedent though. Whenever a new movie comes out, audiences know they don't have long to wait so there's less of an incentive to watch in theaters or have repeat viewings. Movies are becoming less of an event that you must see in theaters unless you want a long wait.

I mean that's fine if studios are okay making less money. Something tells me they're not though.

Audience knows that they do have to wait a long time — 90 days

34 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

If you believe that, I have an igloo in Arizona to sell you. 

Everyone keeps saying "streaming can't last," and yet, the studios keep releasing everything on streaming after 90 days or sooner. Meanwhile, people who aren't always online are getting used to this. They can't change it because people won't protest by going to theaters. They'll protest by waiting longer!

maybe I’m not being clear enough. 

I’m not knocking the putting of the films on streaming after three months. I’m knocking Disney putting their films on their service people are already subbed to when they could charge money for each individual film for a substantial period. 
by not doing so you are encouraging more and more people just not spending anything and waiting three months. Literally for no reason. 

Release a film in cinemas for three months. Make money. 

Release it on PVOD for $20-30 per movie after three months.  Make money

Release it on physical media for $20-30 per movie a month into the PVOD window.  Make money

Reduce the price of your PVOD to keep to $15-20 around the same time.  Make money

Then put it for free on your service after that. 

How is cutting most of that out a good business model?  It hasn’t been so far that’s for sure, so I do not buy this ‘it’s here to stay’ rhetoric.  

• Like 2

Yeh I never did see the sense when people were saying last year that Top Gun Maverick was going to boost MI7.

Top Gun Maverick was a phenomenon. I hadn’t seen a Tom Cruise film since Knight and Day. I loved Top Gun Maverick, but that doesn’t mean I’m now a Tom Cruise fan. And I’m not going to spend time watching MI 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 to catch up. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Elegiental said:

Audience knows that they do have to wait a long time — 90 days

There's very little that's come out of a high enough standard to convince me that I can't just wait 60 days for it. I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way, given recent box office returns.

11 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

How is that a bad precedent if it’s released on an incredibly similar window to Guardians, Vol. 2 back in 2017?

https://www.dvdsreleasedates.com/movies/7053/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2#:~:text=Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 DVD and Blu-ray,iTunes on August 8%2C 2017.