kayumanggi

Weekday Numbers | Jul 17 - 20 | Wednesday | 4.74M M:I - DEAD RECKONING I | 4.72M SOUND OF FREEDOM

7 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Yeah these 2nd increase movies are rare but when they happen they don't just fall away unless something disastrous happens. I don't think Barbenheimer is strong enough to damage SOF's holds enough because it's already putting up these insane PSA's on a limited number of showings. If it had the same number of showings as MI7 that would be a different story because it would be bound to lose them, but the floor is extremely high in this case. After following Elemental in SK when you see a trend like this it is extremely unlikely for a movie to slow down. I can see it following last weeks holds with maybe a Tuesday increase/Wed decrease instead and end up something like this

Mon: 4.8

Tue 5.76 (+20%)

Wed: 5.18 (-10%)

Thu: 5.18 (n/c) 

Which would put it 13% ahead of last Thursday. Last week it had nearly a 6x Thu -> Wkd IM, even if that drops to something like 4.5x that would still be a $23.3m third weekend or a 15% drop and I think that's harsh. 

I guess this is the first real test of how it will withstand the competition.  If it can actually stay flat on Thursday then uhhhh I don't know what else to say?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Sound of Freedom increasing every single day W2W is reminding me of Elemental's south korea run lmao. If not for Barbenheimer it might have beaten its 20-day streak.

Shameful -73% on day 8 🥱

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Algebra said:

How does PIF work? Can it be misused to buy tickets for other movies by any chance?

No they cannot. You go on to Angel studios website, you purchase a ticket at $15 for sound of freedom. Those tickets then go on their website where anybody can get one at no cost. Just like when you go on to your theaters website to buy a ticket for any particular movie, those tickets go to your phone or your email or both actually of course when you get to the theater it says what movie you purchased. Its thr exact same thing for the pay it forward tickets for sound of freedom

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder if Sound of Freedom is going to one of those films which is very domestic heavy? 

From what I understand and I could be wrong but I don't think Angel studios has managed to secure any showings in international markets as of yet.

39 minutes ago, narniadis said:

That is a bonkers bad fall for MI7 unless I'm missing something. Sheesh. I get runtime issues and it being a workday but its summer -65% is rough. 

Never understood why many brushed off a clear underperformance OW and just assumed MI7 would have super strong legs. Barbenheimer is going to suck the life out of the room. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Algebra said:

How does PIF work? Can it be misused to buy tickets for other movies by any chance?

You can only buy a ticket for SoF…

but, like, practically speaking if you get in the door at the theater for the showing of SoF in auditorium 12 and then go see Elemental in auditorium 15 instead very unlikely to be noticed/stopped

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elegiental said:

You can only buy a ticket for SoF…

but, like, practically speaking if you get in the door at the theater for the showing of SoF in auditorium 12 and then go see Elemental in auditorium 15 instead very unlikely to be noticed/stopped

Yeah but that kind of behavior has been going on forever. I used to do that 20 and 30 years ago. Buy a ticket for Good morning Vietnam which was PG-13 and then sneak into Eddie Murphy's Raw which was rated r and I wasn't old enough to go see it the time LOL

16 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Holy shit, I had no idea American Sniper was that big. 

Yep,  one of those domestic wonders that had much smaller OS (just shy of 200M)

18 minutes ago, baumer said:

I can only tell you what I have heard from people that I've spoken to concerning mission Impossible dead reckoning and that is that as much action as it has, there's just something missing in the movie. Having recently watched ghost protocol and rogue nation, I enjoyed them much more than I did dead reckoning. Critics love the movie and apparently fans do too and yet the numbers weren't great to start with and that Monday drop is definitely something to be concerned about at least in my opinion.

It seems to me that this could be the case of Mockingjay/Planet of the Apes 3. These franchises peaked and then everyone forgot that there were more movies coming out. Just suddenly stopped caring. Can't say much about Apes but Mockingjay came after fantastically received Catching Fire so boxoffice should have been bigger. Maybe it was Part 1, maybe it was the book or maybe just some franchises have their limit that we only learn of when it shows itself.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Yeah these 2nd increase movies are rare but when they happen they don't just fall away unless something disastrous happens. I don't think Barbenheimer is strong enough to damage SOF's holds enough because it's already putting up these insane PSA's on a limited number of showings. If it had the same number of showings as MI7 that would be a different story because it would be bound to lose them, but the floor is extremely high in this case. After following Elemental in SK when you see a trend like this it is extremely unlikely for a movie to slow down. I can see it following last weeks holds with maybe a Tuesday increase/Wed decrease instead and end up something like this

Mon: 4.8

Tue 5.76 (+20%)

Wed: 5.18 (-10%)

Thu: 5.18 (n/c) 

Which would put it 13% ahead of last Thursday. Last week it had nearly a 6x Thu -> Wkd IM, even if that drops to something like 4.5x that would still be a $23.3m third weekend or a 15% drop and I think that's harsh. 

What is going to hurt SOF vs Barbenheimer is that Angel Studios has no clout, while Disney (and Sony?) is being a PITA about its films. Going to probably lose a good number of those 2nd screens and shows in a lot of locations that need the room

Also, when looking at those weekdays numbers, keep in mind that MI7 opening Wed, Tue, er Mon is going to throw off week/week comps, in a way we can't yet understand because SOF's run is already atypical, seeing a Mon-->Wed and 2nd weekend increase

Edited by M37

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

From what I understand and I could be wrong but I don't think Angel studios has managed to secure any showings in international markets as of yet.

I imagine it'll be quite difficult to replicate the model they used domestically given local distributors would likely handle the release.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, M37 said:

What is going to hurt SOF vs Barbenheimer is that Angel Studios has no clout, while Disney (and Sony?) is being a PITA about its films. Going to probably lose a good number of those 2nd screens and shows in a lot of locations that need the room

Also, when looking at those weekdays numbers, keep in mind that MI7 opening Wed, Tue, er Mon is going to throw off week/week comps, in a way we can't yet understand because SOF's run is already atypical, seeing a Mon-->Wed and 2nd weekend increase

Theaters aren't going to give up sound of freedom showings just because Barbenheimer is out. If those shows are 3/4 full on a weeknight they'll find other films to get rid of. 

10 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Never understood why many brushed off a clear underperformance OW and just assumed MI7 would have super strong legs. Barbenheimer is going to suck the life out of the room. 

People were probably swayed by the A Cinemascores and Posttrack scores.

Which brings me to the point that i was surprised that how it got that good scores, it is clearly inferior to previous few entries.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Lol Sound of Freedom is already a massive hit. Funny seeing this sudden concern that it might “fall off”

Only one person said that, there hasn't been a plethora of us saying the same thing.