kayumanggi

Weekday Numbers | Jul 17 - 20 | Wednesday | 4.74M M:I - DEAD RECKONING I | 4.72M SOUND OF FREEDOM

49 minutes ago, M37 said:

Keep in mind that it played EA shows last Monday, and full preview on Tue, so some of the typical weekday audience already had a bite at the apple, unlike a usual first Monday 

The number that matters is Wed

Wed could come in close to Monday, but Thurs will drop significantly. Under 4m for sure, possibly as low as 3m? We'll see.

1 hour ago, baumer said:

And I know this is an old question but why didn't Paula Patton and Jeremy Renner stay in the mission impossible family? I thought they were both excellent in ghost protocol.

According to McQuarrie, Paula Patton and Maggie Q were approached to return for Rogue Nation but the scheduling didn't work out. Allegedly, Patton had already signed onto the  Warcraft movie, bless.

https://screenrant.com/mission-impossible-jane-future-paula-patton-return/

With Renner, there was that idea of handing off the franchise from Ethan to his character, which was later scrapped. He was supposed to return to Fallout, but only a cameo for his character to get killed off. Renner declined, seemingly unthrilled about his trajectory with the franchise. Here's a recap of the whole saga:

https://collider.com/mission-impossible-jeremy-renner-take-over-explained/

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Elegiental said:

The “typical” weekday pattern DOM is:

Tues>Mon>wed>th

Technically, Th>W after week 1, but since previews hit that night and aren’t counted we see drops for holdovers. On weeks when they’re aren’t any, increases 

• Like 1

Yea, the Monday number is disappointing, no doubt. Maybe it will act like a weekend movie even in the su0mmer, but with a big Barbenheimer storm coming, it's going to be deflated. What kind of increases are you expecting for MI7 and SoF for tomorrow?

14 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I plain don't believe in Sound of Freedom. The whole run should have an asterisk. 

I believe it, PIF seems to help supercharge WOM since it lowers the barrier of entry for people to watch the movie who maybe were on the fence. Then if it's good they recommend it and if they really like it they contribute to PIF turning it into a positive feedback loop. Other studios are watching this run with a LOT of interest right now.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Skim Beeble said:

What are the chances Mission Impossible ends up at #4 this weekend?

Pretty low IMO.  Would need something like -60% vs -20% for SOF. But they won’t be that far apart either 

16 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I plain don't believe in Sound of Freedom. The whole run should have an asterisk. 

Given that Charlie's been dropping "pay it forward" anecdotes, what makes it inherently suspect? The whole "fake ticket" stuff just seems to be a social media discourse. Shouldn't it have been validated by people whose jobs it would have impacted if true? 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Accept the reality. The BO reflect the general trend of USA.

1. 47% or $74m of the voters voted Trump.

2. 48 Democrats vs 50 Republicans in Senate.

3. More conservative judges in supreme court now

SOF success move in line with the macro-environment. If right-wing can have that much of influence, a $100m of BO hit should be a small piece of cake for them. It is probably the Roe v. Wade Overturned moment in the cinema. Just how many more win by conservative group needed to wake political left up, that your opponent simply isn't as weak as you hope?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

I believe it, PIF seems to help supercharge WOM since it lowers the barrier of entry for people to watch the movie who maybe were on the fence. Then if it's good they recommend it and if they really like it they contribute to PIF turning it into a positive feedback loop. Other studios are watching this run with a LOT of interest right now.

I feel like every movie should do PiF? Like what’s the downside?

• Like 1

I think the running time is definitely a factor during the week. I know I’m not bothering with a near three hour movie post-7pm on a weeknight.  
I know it’s only twenty minutes longer than Fallout, but people see 2hr 43 minutes run time as basically three hours and plan other more suitable nights accordingly. 

• Like 2

Just now, Elegiental said:

I feel like every movie should do PiF? Like what’s the downside?

Yeah I had this exact thought the other day. Studios must be kicking themselves that they hadn't thought of this sooner.

There are way too many rich idiots out there who will spend way too much money on twitch streamers, funko pops, onlyfans etc. How many of them would buy extra tickets for the latest marvel film that they really like to help spread the word if given an official option to do so?

• Like 9

It does look like $200 million is a stretch now with that number. Only due to what is coming.  It’ll basically be at around where Indy was by the end of its second weekend, so $180 million looks like a realistic target now. We’ll see. 

• Like 2

Dead Reckonings number is depressing, plain and simple. It will get demolished by Barbenheimer and while i hope it recovers after that pink blast this weekend, its certainly not ensured to get the great legs of the last few Mission movies.

Paramount are clowns.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Yep,  one of those domestic wonders that had much smaller OS (just shy of 200M)

It seems to me that this could be the case of Mockingjay/Planet of the Apes 3. These franchises peaked and then everyone forgot that there were more movies coming out. Just suddenly stopped caring. Can't say much about Apes but Mockingjay came after fantastically received Catching Fire so boxoffice should have been bigger. Maybe it was Part 1, maybe it was the book or maybe just some franchises have their limit that we only learn of when it shows itself.

It was partially a part 1 thing but it was also a hunger games movie without a hunger games (the role played by the assault on the capital) and the political machinations of District 13 just doesn't organically lead into some of the core concept's strengths. They obviously made more money this way but splitting up the book in half killed the franchise's "momentum" while still posting objectively good numbers.