kayumanggi

Weekday Numbers | Jul 17 - 20 | Wednesday | 4.74M M:I - DEAD RECKONING I | 4.72M SOUND OF FREEDOM

MI:DR number is depressing. Nobody, even Tom Cruise, who put that much of heart, sincerity and effort to make and market a movie, deserve this treatment. It is full display of dysfunctional meritocracy and worst of all, it is not the only victim in the current marketplace. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

People were probably swayed by the A Cinemascores and Posttrack scores.

Which brings me to the point that i was surprised that how it got that good scores, it is clearly inferior to previous few entries.

Kind of makes the whole thing seem kind of fishy doesn't it?

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 2

1 minute ago, Rainy said:

What's traditionally the lowest grossing day of the week? For someone newer to following the BO. Would we expect MI7 to fall more on Tuesday?

Tuesdays are discount Tuesdays in North america. I know 100% that it is everywhere in Canada and I'm pretty sure it's in most States and cities in the us. For Tuesday is probably the strongest day of the week outside of the weekend. Wednesday would probably be the weakest day.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Mi7’s run is disgusting! It’s being eaten by Sound of Freedom and next week it’s going get destroyed by Oppenheimer/Barbie.  Terrible timing and idiotic part one title massively crippled the film

Yep it's baffling that the studio that played the TGM cards so right made such an unforgivable mistake. Part 1 title was a bad call but timing was just moronic though not too surprising. They were running away from Indiana Jones and underestimated Oppenheimer although it's a Nolan movie (Barbie is a counterprogramming so that won't steal too much of MI audience) and loss of PLF was expected so WTF? Then they did a hasty Wednesday switch when it became clear Jul 21-23 weekend was going to be a juggernaut but too late. Mismanagement of the highest order.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

People do like DR Part 1 so it's not like it's universally hated. 

I don't think anyone is suggesting that they hate it just that it's not quite as good as some of the other entries in the series

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting that they hate it just that it's not quite as good as some of the other entries in the series

Personally, I only prefer Ghost Protocol to it. I liked it better than Rogue Nation and Fallout. Has much more of a sense of fun. That and Atwell boosted it over Rogue and Fallout... At least for me. 

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

even so whether a movie is as good as other entries or not reveals itself when the movie is seen or in reviews (which wasn't the case). OW should have been bigger yet pre-sales were ho-hum from tha start from what I remember cause there was a lot of concern about OW based on presales. That tells me that something - marketing as a whole or part of it (Part 1 in the title?) - just didn't scream "must see". or maybe Barbeheimer marketing upstaged it to the point that it became an afterthought. Either way, it's a movie that should have been doing better and why it isn't is yet to be determined. Always sad when quality underperforms.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, baumer said:

Yeah but that kind of behavior has been going on forever. I used to do that 20 and 30 years ago. Buy a ticket for Good morning Vietnam which was PG-13 and then sneak into Eddie Murphy's Raw which was rated r and I wasn't old enough to go see it the time LOL

Oh for sure. A bit more appealing when the “good morning Vietnam” is free!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Rainy said:

What's traditionally the lowest grossing day of the week? For someone newer to following the BO. Would we expect MI7 to fall more on Tuesday?

The “typical” weekday pattern DOM is:

Tues>Mon>wed>th

5 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Quality isn't the issue here thr audience scores indicate it was liked as much as the last couple of MI films. Paramount just made some really unforced errors unfortunately which they'll need to take a hard look at themselves about.

This is one situation where Cruise and McQuarrie will come out unscathed since they delivered a great film.

29 minutes ago, Rainy said:

I'd say Wednesday is the lowest day. Tuesday is the strongest weekday