Eric Prime

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

1 minute ago, Kvikk Lunsj said:

If want to watch good movie this year watch the new Terrence Malick film that is suppose to come out this year. Movie that actually has characters you can watch The Holdovers or Poor Things.  
or movie with big productions values you have Killers of the Flower moon 

Malicks film won’t come out this year 

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

I’m not trying to be pessimistic, I’d just rather be pleasantly surprised in the coming weeks.

But I’m not quite ready yet to abandon the possibility that the Barbenheimer phenomenon is going to contribute to some frontloading for both films. Both were hyped up, particularly among younger demographics, who don’t exactly have the money for multiple repeat viewings.

For now I’m going with a 3x multi for Oppenheimer until I start to see some legs. 240-250 DOM total as the goal.

Barbie I’m thinking a Catching Fire type of run (fantastic WOM but still some hard drops because of fan pent-up demand). 430M total give or take some change.

I have not seen Oppenheimer yet (unfortunately not by choice as italian distributors made that one for me by delaying it...) but I think barbie legs will be fine. My theater was really into it and it was just a really fun time at the movies for me as well. It seems like the kind of film that will really resonate with its demo to me. Curious to see what happens.

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

I watched the Dracula ship movie trailer before Oppenheimer. Somehow it looked both really bad and really great to me, i dont know why. Maybe ill see that as well.

Meg 2 is duty, that just has to be seen.

I like that the Dracula movie has a pretty recognizable guy from Game of Thrones. Very good actor. I'm not sure about the idea of turning a subplot from the Dracula story into an entire movie, but what the hell. I'm gonna check it out. 

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

I like that the Dracula movie has a pretty recognizable guy from Game of Thrones. Very good actor. I'm not sure about the idea of turning a subplot from the Dracula story into an entire movie, but what the hell. I'm gonna check it out. 

Davos Seaworth apparently still a smuggler.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Imo, Dune Part 1 is a masterpiece, but just like every Villeneuve movie, its not for everyone. But skipping Dune 2 in theaters intentionally still sounds like committing a crime against cinema to me honestly.

Masterpiece is a strong word. I really liked the film but at the end of the day it is still just a prologue. It is a film withou a proper climax. But I will say I might very well agree with Dune1+2 being one if the sequel delivers, which I'm sure it will, Villeneuve is a seal of quality as far as I'm concerned.

I am thinking Marvels would have done sub 350 ww in the og spot facing Barbie. Just hoping for a miracle that Ms Marvel finally finds the audience it deserves on ABC this fall, and the movie turns out amazing with great WOM. Otherwise, could still be a sub 500 situation. 

13 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I still haven't watched the first one, even though I use HBO Max more than any streaming service and have seen Dune pop up constantly as a recommended movie in the app. Lol

Eh… I don’t know, man. I felt like I was watching a bunch of ideas that have been used before in pop culture in different ways, stuff that was obviously inspired by Dune. I don’t question the books influence in sci-fi. It’s well documented and at some point during the first film obvious that we see a lot of the influences that the book had in other mythologies like Star Wars and Game of Thrones and while I can imagine that for those that grew up on those books it’s amazing, it feels a lot like retread territory to me. I respect it, find it interesting, I know that inspired a lot of films, books and comics I love, but I imagine that it would be like if someone never read Watchmen when it came out but followed the one hundred million riffs on that story that came out during the 90s and 00s.

What made Watchmen groundbreaking imho is that I was there to read when it came out, but I’m not sure if I’d love it as much if I had seen several riffs of that sprinkle around several stories I love already. It’s influence in sci fI and fantasy is undeniable, and I find it interesting to see from this perspective. But I don’t feel like it’s for me either.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

It's important to remember that Dune opened to 41mil and only made 108mil dom, 2.6 legs. Not bad but that's where Indy is right now.

Well that's because it was also available to watch at home for free. Almost every WB movie in 2021 had pitiful legs because people it was available for free at home. And Dune had one of the better ones. It also sold well on DVD/Blu-Ray last I checked, which also indicates it got a fanbase.

I don't think it will have a 100M+ opening, but I don't see any reason why it can't at least do about 150M.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JustLurking said:

Masterpiece is a strong word. I really liked the film but at the end of the day it is still just a prologue. It is a film withou a proper climax. But I will say I might very well agree with Dune1+2 being one if the sequel delivers, which I'm sure it will, Villeneuve is a seal of quality as far as I'm concerned.

Having read the book, i just think it is the Dune adapation i always wanted (especially since i believe that Villeneuve made some smart decisions in moving some things into Part 2). Im also a sucker for great cinematography and the audiovisuell design of Dune is phenomenal, comparable to Blade Runner 2049 imo.

If i had to criticise something, it would probably be the pacing though. The 2nd act of Dune drags a bit.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I’m not trying to be pessimistic, I’d just rather be pleasantly surprised in the coming weeks.

But I’m not quite ready yet to abandon the possibility that the Barbenheimer phenomenon is going to contribute to some frontloading for both films. Both were hyped up, particularly among younger demographics, who don’t exactly have the money for multiple repeat viewings.

For now I’m going with a 3x multi for Oppenheimer until I start to see some legs. 240-250 DOM total as the goal.

Barbie I’m thinking a Catching Fire type of run (fantastic WOM but still some hard drops because of fan pent-up demand). 430M total give or take some change.

Nothing wrong with a more cautious approach on the legs for both movies. It's so early that we really don't know for sure how things will play out.

The good thing with Barbie is we have a couple of movies (TDK and TDKR) that opened very similar in the same part of July. TDK had a 3.36 multiplier and the TDKR had a 2.78 multiplier. These movies offer good comparison points for the daily numbers on Barbie moving forward. It will need to outperform TDK by a pretty good amount to have a shot at passing Super Mario's $574M total. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Imo, Dune Part 1 is a masterpiece, but just like every Villeneuve movie, its not for everyone. But skipping Dune 2 in theaters intentionally still sounds like committing a crime against cinema to me honestly.

IDK I didn't see the first Dune. And no IMAX near me will show Dune 2 in 1.43 ratio.

Edited by cannastop

I think the advent of social media has really helped to benefit auteur theory, and i feel like the one-two-three punch of barbenheimer and Asteroid City kind of prove that. Could see it helping Flower Moon immensely, and maybe even The Killer if it went theatrical

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Having read the book, i just think it is the Dune adapation i always wanted (especially since i believe that Villeneuve made some smart decisions in moving some things into Part 2). Im also a sucker for great cinematography and the audiovisuell design of Dune is phenomenal, comparable to Blade Runner 2049 imo.

If i had to criticise something, it would probably be the pacing though. The 2nd act of Dune drags a bit.

The pacing drags in the book as well. I think it's mostly felt more because it never gets a payoff. The sequel is the payoff.

But it's also why I don't think of Dune1 as anything more than "a really good film" that's waiting for its sequel to cash in on the pieces. Great direction, amazing cinematography and soundtrack, overall a really good film. But without a climax it's just not complete.

Still the attention for detail was crazy. Reading the book and comparing it to the actual film you can really tell Villeneuve loves the source. And Dune, imho, isn't even an easy book to adapt by any means.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

DH1 is still the best Part 1 film. The best Potter film, and one of the best fantasy movies of all time. ❤️

Prisoner of Azkaban and DH2 rank higher for me, but DH1 gets better for me with every rewatch. I think it has the best pacing of the Potter films and it adapaps the first half of the book pretty much perfectly. It often seizes to be a Harry Potter film per se and has that great road movie feeling to it. Its probably also the most intimate HP film.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Eh… I don’t know, man. I felt like I was watching a bunch of ideas that have been used before in pop culture in different ways, stuff that was obviously inspired by Dune. I don’t question the books influence in sci-fi. It’s well documented and at some point during the first film obvious that we see a lot of the influences that the book had in other mythologies like Star Wars and Game of Thrones and while I can imagine that for those that grew up on those books it’s amazing, it feels a lot like retread territory to me. I respect it, find it interesting, I know that inspired a lot of films, books and comics I love, but I imagine that it would be like if someone never read Watchmen when it came out but followed the one hundred million riffs on that story that came out during the 90s and 00s.

What made Watchmen groundbreaking imho is that I was there to read when it came out, but I’m not sure if I’d love it as much if I had seen several riffs of that sprinkle around several stories I love already. It’s influence in sci fI and fantasy is undeniable, and I find it interesting to see from this perspective. But I don’t feel like it’s for me either.

I think what you are describing happens a lot with old movies too. A really old movie that influenced everything in modern times might not connect as well with modern audiences...even though they enjoy other content that's directly influenced by the movie in question.