Eric Lasagna

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

Haven't seen this posted here

Deadline is calling Mission in 3rd place at the box office. Angel Studios is trying to claim third with Sound of Freedom at $20.1M and reporting their weekend estimates hours after the industry publishes their results in the early AM. Realize Comscore is the police officer (among distributors) when it comes to reporting, and counts close to 100% of all theater grosses (at the end of the day, Comscore reports what distributors provide them after they tabulate the unmonitored locations). The industry average estimate for Sound of Freedom is $19M. There is no way a handful of mom and pop theaters which went unmonitored by Comscore collected $1M. Just no way. It’s not to say that Angel Studios doesn’t have a hit on their hands with a $100M-plus grossing title. But there’s some concern by rivals that there’s some puffing of numbers by this frosh distributor, and it’s not a case of Goliath versus David. Running total through weekend 3 is $123.6M, per industry estimates. Deadline is still looking into this to see where the extra $1M is coming from. We’ve asked Angel Studios to show us where the extra $1M is coming from.

https://deadline.com/2023/07/box-office-barbie-oppenheimer-barbenheimer-1235443828/

• Haha 15
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

TLKs legs were horrific for a summer film aimed at families. Esp when we’ve had far less family fare bigger openers like TFA, JW, and TA sprint past 3x. 

I wouldn’t call a 2.84 multiplier “horrific”- but it’s certainly not great, which speaks to the fact that the movie itself/WOM was pretty bad, and also to the fact that there was pretty immense upfront hype for it, which inflated the OW. 

Just now, Nate said:

I wouldn’t call a 2.84 multiplier “horrific”- but it’s certainly not great, which speaks to the fact that the movie itself/WOM was pretty bad, and also to the fact that there was pretty immense upfront hype for it, which inflated the OW. 

I don’t see any excuse for basically the ultimate family appeal release of any of our lifetimes in prime summer not hitting 3x in a worst case scenario. Even a lot of mediocre kids/family fare in the summer hits 3x. Again, the OW is not an excuse when we’ve had far bigger openers without that kind of built in advantage for legs fly past that multi. 

And before anyone brings up BatB, that was heavily skewed YA in a way TLK wasn’t. And no summer or holiday season to help. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nate said:

Depends on genre. A 2.8 in the superhero genre is pretty good. A 2.8 for a family movie like The Lion King is not a very good multiplier.

Last Jedi also had a 2.8 multiplier, which looks decent on the surface. But when you add the context of December leg boost, Force Awakens' multiplier, and Rogue One's multiplier...it becomes clear that TLJ's legs were pretty bad in proper context. 

• Like 2

I don’t see any excuse for basically the ultimate family appeal release of any of our lifetimes in prime summer not hitting 3x in a worst case scenario. Even a lot of mediocre kids/family fare in the summer hits 3x. Again, the OW is not an excuse when we’ve had far bigger openers without that kind of built in advantage for legs fly past that multi. 

And before anyone brings up BatB, that was heavily skewed YA in a way TLK wasn’t. And no summer or holiday season to help. 

No horse in this race, I thought TLK was pretty bad. But I don’t see 2.84x legs as “horrific”, so we can agree to disagree on that.

Certainly would have done much better if it actually was a good movie, maybe closer to incredibles 2 (people seemed to enjoy it but I thought was pretty average) which also opened huge but ended with a 3.33 multi. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

A 2.8 for a family movie like The Lion King is not a very good multiplier.

well the original 1994 Lion King had a 7.8x multi but I know that's not what's being counted. :D

I think a nostalgia bomb like the 2019 Lion King should be compared to Incredibles 2, which had a 3.3x multi.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nate said:

I’m genuinely curious about what the new generation will feel about The Lion King’s live action remake. I mean, I love everyone involved on the project. I fucking love the director for giving me not just Iron Man, but my favorite Star Wars character of all time in Mandalorian. I fucking love Beyoncé, I love Donald Glover, I love even Seth Rogen for giving me Invincible and now TMNT.

I fucking LOVE Lion King. It’s my all time favorite old school 2d western animation not called Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. So the live action It should be a slam dunk for me, right? Then why I hate it so fucking much? I feel uncomfortable hating kids films, and maybe hate is too strong of an word. It’s not for me. I kinda wonder if kids will grow up loving that film or not.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

I maintain the pandemic helped Dune not hurt it (first true spectacle release at the time people were just willing to start going back), but I digress. 

Anecdotal of course, but a couple of friends and I really wanted to watch it on a big screen but we ended up not going because of the pandemic, we were still too reluctant to go to the theaters back then.

I don't know if I'll be able to (life), but I really wanna watch Dune 2 at the cinema

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

I’m genuinely curious about what the new generation will feel about The Lion King’s live action remake. I mean, I love everyone involved on the project. I fucking love the director for giving me not just Iron Man, but my favorite Star Wars character of all time in Mandalorian. I fucking love Beyoncé, I love Donald Glover, I love even Seth Rogen for giving me Invincible and now TMNT.

I fucking LOVE Lion King. It’s my all time favorite old school 2d western animation not called Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. So the live action It should be a slam dunk for me, right? Then why I hate it so fucking much? I feel uncomfortable hating kids films, and maybe hate is too strong of an word. It’s not for me. I kinda wonder if kids will grow up loving that film or not.  

There is no shame in hating the atrocious Lion King remake. That abomination is everything wrong with modern Hollywood. Actually, imo its a sign of good taste to hate that movie.

Normally im against "hating" on any movie really, but maybe because the original Lion King was literally my childhood, i DESPISE the remake.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nate said:

No horse in this race, I thought TLK was pretty bad. But I don’t see 2.84x legs as “horrific”, so we can agree to disagree on that.

Certainly would have done much better if it actually was a good movie, maybe closer to incredibles 2 (people seemed to enjoy it but I thought was pretty average) which also opened huge but ended with a 3.33 multi. 

I mean it’s whatever, but shouldn’t your I2 comp be all the proof you need? Nearly the same OW at the same release time, except I2 was also in the frontloaded CBM genre with extremely huge adult appeal. Yet still ran circles around TLK multi. Not sure how TLK multi was remotely possible without toxic WOM tbh. 

I mean it’s whatever, but shouldn’t your I2 comp be all the proof you need? Nearly the same OW at the same release time, except I2 was also in the frontloaded CBM genre with extremely huge adult appeal. Yet still ran circles around TLK multi. Not sure how TLK multi was remotely possible without toxic WOM tbh. 

the point is rather that The Lion King Remake and Incredibles 2 are not typical "kids movies" where you can expect a softer opening and stronger legs

• Like 1

The Lion King remake was probably the most soulless film I've ever seen. So disappointing after Favreau did so well on Jungle Book. Plus I was excited for Donald Glover and he gave the most phoned in performance I've ever witnessed 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

the point is rather that The Lion King Remake and Incredibles 2 are not typical "kids movies" where you can expect a softer opening and stronger legs

Ok, but where does that address how I’m saying 3x should have been worst case scenario for a movie with the level of family/everyone appeal of TLK in the summer? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cannastop said:

well the original 1994 Lion King had a 7.8x multi but I know that's not what's being counted. :D

I think a nostalgia bomb like the 2019 Lion King should be compared to Incredibles 2, which had a 3.3x multi.

Incredibles 2 is a very good comparison for TLK

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Maybe Dune should move to Wonka’s date and we can get a whole Dunka thing going and put Chalamet to work in some elaborate me against myself campaign… 

Honestly, the cowards should just do that. Do it right and the memes just might make the BO explode for both movies.

Am I crazy? Probably, but did anyone see the Barbenheimer coming?! There you go Hollywood, that's your next viral meme campaign, you are welcome.

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Nope. I stopped watching MCU movies with Avengers: Endgame. Hell...I didn't even see the most recent Batman movie in theaters and that is my favorite character ever. 

I think you touched upon something that I've been trying to put into words probably for a month now. To me End Game was the end of an era. It started in 2008 and then of course ended with 2019. Over the course of that time we invested ourselves in the MCU and the box office is the proof in the pudding. We invested our time, our energy and of course our money. It doesn't matter if some of the movies in the MCU in my opinion aren't that great. Most of them are and what Infinity wars and endgame did is something I don't think we're ever going to see again. Every MCU (whatever phase this 2008-2019 characters represent) character was represented at least one of those two movies.

And then Disney and Marvel tell us wait, there's more and I don't think a lot of us have the energy to reinvest ourselves into new characters new stories and so on.

Obviously it was never going to happen where they just leave it alone after end game but in my opinion there was no better way to end the Marvel cinematic universe. I haven't been interested in any of the new Marvel movies and I haven't even been interested in any DCU movies.

We all gave the MCU and Disney 12 years of our lives. We invested in dozens of characters that we all loved and seeing some of them die kind of just felt like that was the finality of it.

Now they want us to reinvest ourselves in new characters new stories like I said and for me personally I just don't have it in me. I don't think the MCU is ever going to reach the heights that it did between 2008 and 2019. 

It kind of feels like as if you run the Boston marathon, you give it everything you have, you get over the finish line you're drenched in sweat your legs are exhausted your lungs are begging for air and yet when you finish it you feel a sense of accomplishment and a finale to the whole thing.

Then youre told that in a week's time you got to start a new 26 mile marathon. I just don't think you'd have it in you to give it your all this time.

I hope this doesn't come across as just one big giant incoherent ramble. I know what I'm trying to say and I just hope you get the gist of it.

• Like 3