Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

Haunted Mansion, T-1 Thursday previews, southern Ontario

Final check in on this. Sales have doubled from T-3 from 170 to 338. 

Across 41 theatres. For comparison, Barbie had sales of 388 in just my local theatre last week at same point in time, and mine is probably a slightly below average sized theatre compared to the region.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Haunted Mansion is probably going to benefit the most out of any movie from potential Barbie spillover since it's the most compatible movie out of everything else on the market. Both being brand-powered, family-friendly PG-13 comedies.

• Like 2

Effing Blue Beetle is taking away the 70mm Imax from Oppenheimer. I am not able to get any Imax ticket over the weekend except 1st row. So I am going to not be able to see this at Metreon unless  I take a day off and see it on a weekday morning as even shows from 4PM onwards are all but sold out. Blue Beetle will bomb like Shazam (wont have OW like Flash either) and now hurting Oppenheimer in the process. Grrrr. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 3
  • Disbelief 1

Haunted Mansion MTC1

Wednesday - 15303/21841 325113.47 115 shows

Previews - 31237/351872 505150.33 2321 shows

So 325K early shows and Probably 65K previews max. At best 4m previews including early shows. Probably lower. 

I am having intermittent internet issues(xfinity doing some upgrades) and so no Friday update. I will look at it in the morning.  

Edit: What a f**ing waste of PLF shows. Another annoying movie taking away PLF from a Juggernaut. 

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

What is the next 100 million  grossing movie? Unless Haunted Mansion is critic proof not happening.  Nothing in August is a lock.  Equalizer 3 maybe. The first 2 did but it  appeals to the old male audience who are not terribly reliable right now. 

2 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I think Mission maybe able to start legging it because this next month of wide releases is not exactly the most exciting crop of movies IMHO. 

Too late for any major comeback. Plus Barbenheimer isn’t slowing down anytime soon. Best case scenario like $190M 

9 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

What is the next 100 million  grossing movie? Unless Haunted Mansion is critic proof not happening.  Nothing in August is a lock.  Equalizer 3 maybe. The first 2 did but it  appeals to the old male audience who are not terribly reliable right now. 

I'm pulling for a miracle for Strays, but TMNT probably. 

12 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I feel like Haunted Mansion should still do it.

TMNT is gonna be the biggest release from August.

Then there’s Equalizer, Nun II, and Haunting in Venice as possibilities in September.

15 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

shark teeth GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Too late for any major comeback. Plus Barbenheimer isn’t slowing down anytime soon. Best case scenario like $190M 

Did not say it would have a major comeback but maybe just dig in there and be steady because you know it's a great movie,  see it over stuff like the Meg 2. Just saying. 

I don't know why. 

But from what I see,  Blue Beetle clearly has more TV spots than Meg 2.

Maybe WB think that Jason Statham and the IP is good enough to sell the film? (Unlike Blue Beetle, which has no star.)

Edited by John2015

52 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Haunted Mansion and TMNT should make it (they won't have competition for family audiences for a while), but otherwise? Definitely looking iffy for the fall when all of the sequels have question marks as to their remaining drawing power next to them. Killers of the Flower Moon will obviously drum up plenty of interest from the cinephile crowd since it's Marty + Leo + De Niro (even if the stars are unlikely to do any additional press for it should the strike continue through the fall), but it remains to be seen how much the studio will actually push it since it's essentially getting a full-scale theatrical release only to appease Scorsese.

Edited by filmlover