Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

I would rather watch @CJohn yelling "theaters are dead! Lionsbomb is dead!" on a 90 minute loop 100 times before seeing Am I Racist? even once, even if I was promised a free showing.

Not feeling much buzz for Speak No Evil tbh. Think it's opening in the same range as Night Swim and Imaginary did. Better luck next year, Blumhouse.

You are a man of great taste. You know what is real entertainement and what is buffoonery.

Speaking of it, The Crow is ending below 10M and that Bautista flick might not do 5M total, Lionsgate is so beyond dead they need to create a new word to describe this mess.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

I'm really shocked, i hope it doesn't work like a superhero movie because clearly if the movie and Superman don't make good numbers , it's finish for DC movies (unless The Batman 2).

As if the pressure for Superman to deliver wasn't already enough. 

In all seriousness though, if Joker 2 opens under the first film and god forbid anywhere near where The Flash or The Marvels opened up (I'm staying off these threads if that happens), then I think it's fair to say that the DCEU has done so much damage to the overall DC brand that unless you're in the Matt Reeves Batman universe, you're DOA. 

I don't wanna spread all doom and gloom, but if a Joker sequel can't even open on par with the first one, that's a really bad sign going into DC's future. 

• Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, Ryan C said:

As if the pressure for Superman to deliver wasn't already enough. 

In all seriousness though, if Joker 2 opens under the first film and god forbid anywhere near where The Flash or The Marvels opened up (I'm staying off these threads if that happens), then I think it's fair to say that the DCEU has done so much damage to the overall DC brand that unless you're in the Matt Reeves Batman universe, you're DOA. 

I don't wanna spread all doom and gloom, but if a Joker sequel can't even open on par with the first one, that's a really bad sign going into DC's future. 

I don't think Joker 2' supposed underperformance has anything to do with DC. Joker was seen as a stand alone movie different from the usual superheroes. Still, can't wrap my head around these weak first day numbers

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

Who said Reeves universe is safe? Joker has nothing to do with DCEU. If it's somehow affected, Reeves one will be affected as well, The Batman didn't do that great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Maggie said:

I don't think Joker 2' supposed underperformance has anything to do with DC. Joker was seen as a stand alone movie different from the usual superheroes. Still, can't wrap my head around these weak first day numbers

I know Joker is its own thing and I'm not saying its the main reason, but I can't imagine it not playing a factor. 

The DC brand is not really appealing right now and that's after having 5 movies in a row that either underperformed or just straight-up bombed. Though those may be apart of a different universe, the brand overall has definitely taken a hit and since Joker 2 isn't expected to be a crowdpleaser like Deadpool and Wolverine, I don't think it's gonna have particularly strong word-of-mouth from audiences. 

This is a movie that legitmately needs The Batman-level buzz and word-of-mouth to get a lot of people who are on the fence to go see it and unless a miracle happens, its's not gonna happen. 

• Like 1

So I tracked Joker 2 a little bit across 3 Cinemark locations and the sales are pretty weak. Didn’t even hit 50 tickets.

woof.

but maybe it’ll pick up. The day isn’t even over, so we’ll see.

Edited by AnthonyJPHer

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

If this somehow pulls Aquaman 2/The Marvels, I'd expect a similar thing from The Batman 2, at the very least it won't increase from the first one. But since I don't think it's gonna collapse this hard even in nightmare scenario, I'd prefer to wait and see how it holds during pre-sales period. As far as I understand its first day is better than Bettlejuice one? 

don’t want to derail thread but Batman 2 is in a much better position than Joker 2. Im expecting Batman 2 presales to be Uber strong and wouldn’t be shocked with $150M

• Like 4
  • Disbelief 1

Please take all discussion around future movies to another thread. 

We lost most folks who tracked last joker movie. Porthos/Eric/Inception etc were tracking it. 

One interesting Metric is show count at AMC Empire 25. 1st movie had 52 show times listed on Day 1 of presales itself. I see only 14 for the sequel but it has 2 additional weeks of presales. 

• Like 2

Joker: Folie a Deux, D1, hour 8, T-25, Western GTA (southern Ontario), Thursday Previews and Monday EA 

Total Sales: 35

New Sales: na

Growth: na

Theatres: 5

Showtimes: 19

Tickets per Showtime: 1.8

Chains tracked: MTC4

Ticket Premium in effect: Y

Sales by Showtime

Late Afternoon: 3/4

Early Evening: 29/9

Late Evening: 3/6

Preview Sales by Format

Dolby: 12/7

VIP: 14/6

IMAX: 9/6

Comps (against ~24 hour comps, except otherwise noted)

17.500x Beetlejuice² for $171.5M

0.515x GxK for $5.1M

0.033x D&W for $1.3M

0.294x Dune 2 (day 2 pull) for $2.9M

0.745x HG: BoSS for $4.3M

Average (excluding B²): $3.4M

Monday EA Sales

Total: 25

New sales: na

Growth: na

Showings: 1 IMAX showing in radius 

EA Comp

0.084x Dune 2 (Day2) for $0.2M

First off, this is being pulled earlier than comps. Things will improve by tomorrow morning against comps, but I'm guessing not too much. This slowed down over the day. And Dune 2 I only grabbed for day 2, but I'm including since I think it has good value as a comp due to the EA showing.

The Beetlejuice comp is not useful, but included just to show something started off slower. I took it out of the average. It picked up by day 2 so I may keep it around.

The results here are not good. They may improve. The EA sales are good, but I only have the red hot Dune 2 sales to compare it to that had people running out to see on IMAX. 

I missed first week on Marvels, so I'll only track that once I convert to T minus, but at 270 sales at T-21, Joker is unlikely to catch up IMO.

There's still time for things to take a different path, but this isn't the start that Joker fans were hoping for.

• Like 6
  • Astonished 2

Checked the three big theaters closest to me here in Rhode Island (including the Providence IMAX) and Thursday/Friday are ROUGH. IMAX has sold 7 tickets total for the three Thursday shows. At least the 7:15 Friday show is doing okay.

• Like 2