Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

2 minutes ago, datpepper said:

. Plus, all the exclusive merchandise goes on sale on Thurs night now

huh? 

merch sold in the theater or like free gifts?

basic merch or something fans could really want?

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

2 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

huh? 

merch sold in the theater or like free gifts?

basic merch or something fans could really want?

There's exclusive Taylor Swift popcorn buckets and such being sold at theaters in limited quantities.

1 minute ago, datpepper said:

I got word earlier this afternoon that this would potentially be happening, but I didn't post anything because I was a little skeptical that they would actually go through with it. Truthfully, it's a little bit of a stab in the back to the fans.

I've heard from a pal that there's some upset discourse around this. Quite a few fans bought non-refundable tickets to the earliest show possible thinking they were getting to see it first. Now, at the last minute, they find out that there's an earlier showing they would have to pay for again and have to re-coordinate with friends within a 24-hour period. Plus, all the exclusive merchandise goes on sale on Thurs night now, so there's a chance the early fans and scalpers will cause the merch to sell out before the original "opening night".

There's an extra bit of info that I was told not to share, but I think it might remedy the situation for some.

Some of this is why I have been so seized by the matinee show confusion in Canada. I figured there were superfans that bought earliest slot available and made plans to take the day off. This tentative situation where it was unclear if they were cancelled or not was so strange, as I couldn't imagine what the reaction people would have had if they cancelled.

As for merchandise, I've seen theatre employees signal online that the merchandise handouts they've received are extremely limited quantity, and won't be around for later shows.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, datpepper said:

I got word earlier this afternoon that this would potentially be happening, but I didn't post anything because I was a little skeptical that they would actually go through with it. Truthfully, it's a little bit of a stab in the back to the fans.

I've heard from a pal that there's some upset/discourse around this. Quite a few fans bought non-refundable tickets to the earliest show possible thinking they were getting to see it first. Now, at the last minute, they find out that there's an earlier showing they would have to pay for again and have to re-coordinate with friends within a 24-hour period. Plus, all the exclusive merchandise goes on sale on Thurs night now, so there's a chance the early fans and scalpers will cause the merch to sell out before the original "opening night".

There's an extra bit of info that I was told not to share, but I think it might remedy the situation for some.

Is this early access like Barbie early access, just adding a showing per theater for Thursday? Or is the actual release getting pushed all the way back to Thursday night, so Friday morning/afternoon showings are being added?

If it's the former, this probably shouldn't move the needle by more than a few million. If it's the latter... that's really annoying

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, datpepper said:

I've heard from a pal that there's some upset/discourse around this. Quite a few fans bought non-refundable tickets to the earliest show possible thinking they were getting to see it first. Now, at the last minute, they find out that there's an earlier showing they would have to pay for again and have to re-coordinate with friends within a 24-hour period. Plus, all the exclusive merchandise goes on sale on Thurs night now, so there's a chance the early fans and scalpers will cause the merch to sell out before the original "opening night".

All the trackers who have been updating Friday sales for like 5 weeks

the big bang theory sheldon GIF

Yeah, frankly this is a pretty shitty thing to do all around, announcing early shows the day before, not only to fans for the reasons mentioned, but to theater operators who aren't equipped (or staffed) to handle the potential extra volume on less than 24 hours notice. Who exactly wins in this scenario, when there was already a minimum 4-week engagement and November looking fairly weak holding beyond that?

I'm seeing some 6PM and on showings pop up for Thursday already (not MTC1 nor PLF fwiw), but nothing earlier than 6pm on Friday (yet). EDIT: MTC2 seems to be the first out of the gate to get these tickets on sale, with locations running the full slate - not just a single show or two - from 6P-11P

Edited by M37
  • Like 7
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Alright, here's what I've heard:

At least one major theater chain is saying "F it" and quietly allowing customers to exchange their tickets in-person to another show (and even refund them entirely), at the discretion of theater management.

• Like 5
  • Heart 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 3
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, M37 said:

I'm seeing some 6PM and on showings pop up for Thursday already (not MTC1 nor PLF fwiw), but nothing earlier than 6pm on Friday (yet)

Yep, I'm seeing that now too. Full blown Thursday previews. And the Friday showings that are before 6PM are also under the Eras Tour Early Access banner... making tracking all the more annoying.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XXR's Eras Tour said:

Based on her tweet, as well as AMC’s, I don’t imagine any of the main theater companies slates will populate until tomorrow morning.

I edited (after you quoted?), but MTC2 is already up on Fandango, and I expect the others will be largely on sale tonight.

15 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

Is this early access like Barbie early access, just adding a showing per theater for Thursday? Or is the actual release getting pushed all the way back to Thursday night, so Friday morning/afternoon showings are being added?

If it's the former, this probably shouldn't move the needle by more than a few million. If it's the latter... that's really annoying

Seeing showtimes pop up for 3PM Fri, so it's the latter. Also seeing some for Thurs.

• Sad 1

Got one local up already, Century Arden, and as noted FULL SLATE.  14 showtimes, INCLUDING THE XD SCREEN AT THE LAST SECOND.

Honestly wondering just how many tickets this is gonna sell with such a late notice and more than a semi-dick move one at that (with the non-refundability/exchange angle).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Yikes she’s really trying to squeeze every dollar out of her fans.

This is what she does, she always does this type of surprises with her releases. Her fans was even expecting something and they like those things. 

This will just bring more money to the OW, not upset her fanbase. 

It’ll mess the tracking tho which is sad, but could also bring some fun making the event numbers a bit more unexpected than before.