katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

57 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

What would be the movies the average person has seen in theaters since the pandemic?

1. Spider-Man: No Way Home

2. Top Gun: Maverick

3. Avatar: The Way of Water

4. The Super Mario Bros Movie

5. Barbie

Is that it?

My dad who hardly ever goes to the cinema has only seen Maverick, The Batman, Avatar 2 and now Oppenheimer since the pandemic

8 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

Thing is, if studios start mass pushing films to 2024 to spread out what they've got finished, then at least SOMETHING will have to stay to take advantage of all that empty space. So question is... What gets to stay?

If only Paramount knew MI7 could have had a perfect release window with zero competition and a million weeks of IMAX screens in a row. :sadfleck:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

My dad who hardly ever goes to the cinema has only seen Maverick, The Batman, Avatar 2 and now Oppenheimer since the pandemic

Completely anecdotal:

My older brother (47) and his wife (33) finally bought a 4K TV last year. They went from going to 5-10 films with me and friends per year before the pandemic to basically just go to the biggest films of the year, they became extremely picky with their movie theater experience. Last year they went with me for Spider-Man: No Way Home and this year Super Mario Bros and Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3, but that’s it. Tried to convince them for Across the Spider-Verse and now for Oppenheimer and Barbie, tough luck, their argument is that the movie theaters are too expensive and too noisy compared to watching at home. I did convince my brother to bring our nephew along for TMNT in the upcoming weeks, so there is this silver lining though.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Meaning, not all of them are played by little people. It’s odd. The whole marketing of being offended by fresh new takes on kids properties is weird and it’s something you need to indulge with an ironical take for the sake of your own’s sanity.

I'm pretty sure this change has nothing to do with fresh take, but more of another dumb Disney change to not offend certain groups on twitter.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 3

Just now, Firepower said:

I'm pretty sure this change has nothing to do with fresh take, but more of another dumb Disney change to not offen certain groups on twitter.

Well, the new Snow White film comes from a screenplay by Greta Gerwig. The same Greta Gerwig that just delivered us Barbie. Who is to say that this "another dumb Disney change" over Greta coming up to a fresh new take on Snow White, just like she did on Barbie? Who is to say that this wasn’t a specific thing from her screenplay? 

5 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Completely anecdotal:

My older brother (47) and his wife (33) finally bought a 4K TV last year. They went from going to 5-10 films with me and friends per year before the pandemic to basically just go to the biggest films of the year, they became extremely picky with their movie theater experience. Last year they went with me for Spider-Man: No Way Home and this year Super Mario Bros and Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3, but that’s it. Tried to convince them for Across the Spider-Verse and now for Oppenheimer and Barbie, tough luck, their argument is that the movie theaters are too expensive and too noisy compared to watching at home. I did convince my brother to bring our nephew along for TMNT in the upcoming weeks, so there is this silver lining though.

My brother goes to an average of like 1-2 films a year MAYBE. Meanwhile me and my girlfriend and our friends go to dozens XD.

A lot of people I know only go a couple times a year cause of costs, which I understand if you're dragging along a family and get tons of snacks (could be like almost 100$ sometimes), but if you're just paying for yourself and you go on Tuesday and just sneak in a snack or something it can be like... 8$ a movie

• Like 1

Just now, Killimano3 said:

but if you're just paying for yourself and you go on Tuesday and just sneak in a snack or something it can be like... 8$ a movie

I don't get the need a lot of people have to eat something during a movie. And they always add that on to the costs like it's a requirement to buy popcorn and soda.

• Like 3

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

Well, the new Snow White film comes from a screenplay by Greta Gerwig. The same Greta Gerwig that just delivered us Barbie. Who is to say that this "another dumb Disney change" over Greta coming up to a fresh new take on Snow White, just like she did on Barbie? Who is to say that this wasn’t a specific thing from her screenplay? 

But this is not Barbie. She didn't direct it, the script was rewritten by other writers and she might not even get the credit in the end, it's not her vision, just Disney gig and nothing more than that. Charlie Kaufman did a draft of Chaos Walking, would you also say it's some auther project just because he was involved once?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

But this is not Barbie. She didn't direct it, the script was rewritten by other writers and she might not even get the credit in the end, it's not her vision, just Disney gig and nothing more than that. Charlie Kaufman did a draft of Chaos Walking, would you also say it's some auther project just because he was involved once?

You are working on the production? I’m impressed how much you know of this. The mental gymnastics to praise Barbie and at same time disavow Snow White will certainly be funny next year, I cannot wait. Free marketing for that film too, after all.

4 hours ago, Jonwo said:

IMAX prides itself on exclusivity and probably gets a lot of money from exhibitors wanting their format so it's unlikely we'll ever see two IMAX screens in one cinema. I do think we need a proper IMAX rival that could perhaps a joint venture between different exhibitors, it's surprises me how few Dolby screens are globally. 

The other factor is exhibitors are reluctant to spend extra money on new screens or even refurbishing. 

At times I think bringing back Cinerama is worth a try.

What was the last live action "orginal" movie from mouse. They only release franchise movies or live action of their animated hits or their movies based on theme parks which are mostly fails except Pirates. Only movie I can think off is Tomorrowland by Bird and that was Eons ago and flopped as well. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Disney won’t collapse. They own a ton of extremely popular content in their archives. But maybe they won’t have the same level of dominance that they gained when they bought PIXAR, Star Wars, and Marvel. 

I'd say before they bought Pixar they were in a more precarious situation than they are today.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

You are working on the production? I’m impressed how much you know of this. The mental gymnastics to praise Barbie and at same time disavow Snow White will certainly be funny next year, I cannot wait. Free marketing for that film too, after all.

No, it has something to do with the fact that having a co-writing credit on a movie is not the same thing as directing+writing a movie. Noah Baumbach (Greta Gerwig's husband) wrote Madagascar 3. What does it have in common with any of his films?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

It’s a fairytale for literally children. It’s Disney princesses stories.There is getting mad at superhero non sense and then there is getting worked up at how Disney princesses are presented. I hope that those that get to that point have friends and family to enact an intervention because holy shit.

I have problems with some of the BTS stuff from Snow White...the Dwarves look like shit.....But I don;t get the Racheal Zegler is wrong for the role crap.  Have they ever seen her?

ANyway, a Hispanic (well, half Hispanic, her father is German Polish) and a Jewish Wicked Queen will bring out the bigots anyway......

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

No, it has something to do with the fact that having a co-writing credit on a movie is not the same thing as directing+writing a movie. Noah Baumbach (Greta Gerwig's husband) wrote Madagascar 3. What does it have in common with any of his films?

THis. I love Gerwig (hurrah for the home town girl) but being a co writer in not the same as directing and writing a movie. She pretty much called all the shots on "Barbie" she won't be doing that on "Snow White"./

5 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

What was the last live action "orginal" movie from mouse. They only release franchise movies or live action of their animated hits or their movies based on theme parks which are mostly fails except Pirates. Only movie I can think off is Tomorrowland by Bird and that was Eons ago and flopped as well. 

Tomorrowland is based on a ride at Disneyland.

In terms of live action movies that aren't oonnected to animated movies or theme park rides, the last seem to be The Finest Hours and Queen of Katwe from 2016. Though those are true story movies so that may stretch the definition of original.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Wait until you learn about all the for hire work many prestigious filmmakers do.

Or that a co writing credit is not the same as writing and directing a movie.