katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I’m really tired of these Disney movies with awful lightning, i was hopeful Haunted Mansion maybe was an actually fun ride but while i don’t use reviews as proof that i shouldn’t watch something, i’m starting to think maybe awful reviews should be enough for me to not pay to watch it. 

I think i’ll just go see First Slam Dunk instead since luckily it’ll be released here.

Great choice 👏

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Yeah, Richmond Palladium. Only been there once for a PLF show of Jurassic World. Long way from my neck of the woods (Conroe area lol)

I went there for Man of Steel when it first opened and later the Last Jedi.

In 4 years, the location had gone to shit pretty fast. It wasn't well taken care of it felt like. At the time it opened however, it was incredible

Edited by MrPink
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

That’s a shame Haunted Mansion isn’t supposed to be much good. The film they should have made is there in the story of the ride. We didn’t need modern day stay over comedy hijinks. Oh well. 
I’ll still see it, but if you’ve ever been on the ride you just can’t believe they haven’t managed to make a faithful film based on it. It’s right there!! 

We could have gotten it! Guillermo del Toro was going to direct it, Ryan Gosling would star. It looked like a bomb when it was announced in Comic-Con 2010, but that would have for sure been an event now that both of these guys are bigger than ever. A sad case of wrong timing really.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

I went there for Man of Steel when it first opened and later the Last Jedi.

In 4 years, the location had gone to shit pretty fast. It wasn't well taken care of it felt like. At the time it opened however, it was incredible

Santikos should not have given control of it to Regal. Meanwhile I am at the new Regal Bender’s Landing on 99 in Spring right now. Very nice place, but it’s always empty. They opened it in 2021, horrible timing with the Pandemic. It’s obvious they spent a ton of money building this place, but I don’t see how it’s going to stay open long term. 

15 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Grown straight men fighting over Ariel and Barbie “respectful adaptations” is certainly one of the funniest outcomes of the decade so far , isn’t it? 

It’s pitiful, but i kinda love to see

I mean, if they are not going to make faithful adaptations, why not then create new stories?

2 minutes ago, Agafin said:

I mean, if they are not going to make faithful adaptations, why not then create new stories?

Because nobody goes to new stories anymore and filmmakers aren’t beholden to make anything “faithful”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've been around box office numbers long enough now to know that every time a year looks completely devoid of any hype something good inevitably pops out and surprises everyone. Sometimes all the "big franchises" of the year look weak, but it's very rare to get through the year without anything at all doing well. The strike is a bit of a unique roadblock so thats obviously the biggest issue.

I still remember after the Infinity Saga and Star Wars Sequels finished in 2019 a LOT of people were worried that we wouldn't see another 500M+ film outside of Avatar for years and years. Nobody could have predicted Barbie, Top Gun, Mario, even the heights NWH got to. Just like nobody beforehand could've predicted Avengers, Jurassic World, etc.

Always room for surprises

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

The faithful adaptations argument is this decade’s ethics in videogame journalism, isn’t? 

People like faithful adaptations, why is this seen as some nefarious thing lol. It's crazy to say that the reason for Snow White's pale skin might be changed no problem when it's literally the defining trait of the main character. At that point, just make a new story, otherwise don't complain about backlash. As you might have noticed from my avatar, I am an anime watcher and let me tell you, any unneccessary change to the source material (the manga) would lead to the anime studio being eviscerated by the fanbase.

8 minutes ago, Agafin said:

Honestly I feel it's the opposite sometimes. Why bother remaking an old film if you're not going to put an original spin on it in some way? 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Agafin said:

Because the studios aren’t willing to pay to produce new stories, and we don’t really want to see the same thing being retold 20x the same way.

Change it enough so it can at least feel fresh is the bare minimum we can ask

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Killimano3 said:

I've been around box office numbers long enough now to know that every time a year looks completely devoid of any hype something good inevitably pops out and surprises everyone. Sometimes all the "big franchises" of the year look weak, but it's very rare to get through the year without anything at all doing well. The strike is a bit of a unique roadblock so thats obviously the biggest issue.

I still remember after the Infinity Saga and Star Wars Sequels finished in 2019 a LOT of people were worried that we wouldn't see another 500M+ film outside of Avatar for years and years. Nobody could have predicted Barbie, Top Gun, Mario, even the heights NWH got to. Just like nobody beforehand could've predicted Avengers, Jurassic World, etc.

Always room for surprises

Box office to blockbusters is going to be fine. From superhero films to videogame adaptations, Star Wars joints, nostalgia bombs like TGM and wildcards like Barbie. And I agree, the elephant in the room is the ongoing strikes, that’s what is throwing a curveball at how next year might look. Hopefully it gets resolved rather sooner than later, but I do think it might be going for a while/

It's interesting to me that the success of Oppenheimer is not being talked about in any meaningful "how is this going to affect Hollywood" type of way. I guess that's just too tied to Nolan for people to try to read anything into it.

There's a blacklist script about Carl Sagan's life, which I've read and it's pretty good, wonder why a studio hasn't optioned it.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I like how Cinemark XD isn't even in the conversation of PLFs

Dolby is the only one that has really won people over (so far), not XD, RPX, ScreenX, and whatever else is out there 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Did Talk To Me have early access showings or is that number pure Thursday?

It was the Monday Mystery Movie at Regal a few weeks back, those receipts get rolled into the weekend at some point.

On the IMAX debate, PLFs can offer a boost but non-PLF tickets still make up a big chunk of the overall box office. Maybe if you have more PLFs you get bigger numbers in Week 3 of some tentpole, but would higher prices drive part of the audience away? Outside of a Nolan or Cameron, I couldn't care less about large formats; the cheap 2D shows will do.

Back in the 1950s Hollywood tried to make so many films in Technicolor! and super widescreen to lure audiences away from television and back into theaters. It only worked to a point because the pre-TV and post-TV landscape had just changed the moviegoing equation too much; the PLF push now must be similar to how that felt.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Agafin said:

People like faithful adaptations, why is this seen as some nefarious thing lol. It's crazy to say that the reason for Snow White's pale skin might be changed no problem when it's literally the defining trait of the main character. At that point, just make a new story, otherwise don't complain about backlash. As you might have noticed from my avatar, I am an anime watcher and let me tell you, any unneccessary change to the source material (the manga) would lead to the anime studio being eviscerated by the fanbase.

No, the define things for the character is that she have to eat a poisoned apple, have strong mommy issues, trust a bunch of people she doesn’t know and find anyone to kiss her 

Being white is truly irrelevant to tell this story, because you know … being white is not any sign of personality, arc development or cultural richness. 

1 minute ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Back in the 1950s Hollywood tried to make so many films in Technicolor! and super widescreen to lure audiences away from television and back into theaters

Didn't it also lead to stuff like Cleopatra being so expensive it was still a bomb despite being the highest grossing movie of the year