katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

5 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

Honestly I feel it's the opposite sometimes. Why bother remaking an old film if you're not going to put an original spin on it in some way? 

Always makes me think of how King was NOT a fan of Kubrick's The Shining and then when King got the chance to write the miniseries in the 90's, it was very faithful and also uhhh, boring as fuck.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

It's interesting to me that the success of Oppenheimer is not being talked about in any meaningful "how is this going to affect Hollywood" type of way. I guess that's just too tied to Nolan for people to try to read anything into it.

There's a blacklist script about Carl Sagan's life, which I've read and it's pretty good, wonder why a studio hasn't optioned it.

Which is a shame, i was really hopeful media could’ve make strong discussions about “adult dramas” being cool again showing numbers in order to maybe convince people to watch Killers Of The Flower Moon, Napoleon, Ferrari, Poor Things, The Creator etc on theaters 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Agafin said:

People like faithful adaptations, why is this seen as some nefarious thing lol. It's crazy to say that the reason for Snow White's pale skin might be changed no problem when it's literally the defining trait of the main character. At that point, just make a new story, otherwise don't complain about backlash. As you might have noticed from my avatar, I am an anime watcher and let me tell you, any unneccessary change to the source material (the manga) would lead to the anime studio being eviscerated by the fanbase.

It’s not nefarious. It’s just that the world is different than it was one century ago. Also you being an anime fan explains a lot, it’s just a different medium to anything else from the western world. There is a reason why most animes are virtually unadaptable and better left off alone. 

My point is that this is stories for kids. You bet that there are Black kids loving to see themselves represented by Ariel; or Latina kids that will love to be seen represented by Snow White. In fact, I think it goes without saying that long before these adaptations were even a thing, there were black and Latino kids pretending to be mermaids, Disney princesses and etc.

It’s a lot like a lot of people used to say one decade ago about ‘why create a Black Spider-Man? Why Miles can’t be an original character with his own superhero name?’ No one is asking that stupid question anymore, isn’t it? Anyone can wear the mask. Anyone gets to be a princess, a mermaid, a Jedi knight, a Captain America or a Spider-Man. It’s about make believe for kids, after all.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I've read this a lot but is there a reason it sucks.

It basically feels like Regal took the biggest auditorium not named IMAX in their theaters and rebranded it. Nothing else.

Granted I haven't gone since like 2017.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Which is a shame, i was really hopeful media could’ve make strong discussions about “adult dramas” being cool again showing numbers in order to maybe convince people to watch Killers Of The Flower Moon, Napoleon, Ferrari, Poor Things, The Creator etc on theaters 

It's weird because this wasn't IP, and is like the definition of a hard to market film, and it ended up being a crowdpleaser and doing blockbuster numbers. That, to me, is a more interesting story than an IP film like Barbie doing well. And it sparks more optimism for the cinematic landscape moving forward.

Wonder how much Apple is gonna throw at the marketing campaign for Killers now in order to get anywhere close to these types of numbers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, upriser7 said:

I'd also add that casting a Black actress as Ariel is always gonna generate more controversy/outrage than casting a Latina as Snow White

For sure. Have no idea about the box office for Snow White though. It won't get nearly as much backlash as TLM but not sure it will get as much hype either, at least not domestically.  

51 minutes ago, harry713 said:

27m

35m (+30%)

28m (-20%)

90m (-44.5%)

Why is everyone so overreactive? This is literally right in line with recent expectations??

Why assume Saturday will jump that much especially if that Friday number sticks? At the moment, I would say 85-86M should be the expectation. Maybe even a little lower if Sat has a soft jump as well. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe

6 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

It's interesting to me that the success of Oppenheimer is not being talked about in any meaningful "how is this going to affect Hollywood" type of way. I guess that's just too tied to Nolan for people to try to read anything into it.

There's a blacklist script about Carl Sagan's life, which I've read and it's pretty good, wonder why a studio hasn't optioned it.

there was an announcement a few months ago about Andrew Garfield playing Carl Sagan in a movie, and I think it’s the same script you’re talking about. Cause I remember hearing about that one several years ago.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Always makes me think of how King was NOT a fan of Kubrick's The Shining and then when King got the chance to write the miniseries in the 90's, it was very faithful and also uhhh, boring as fuck.

It’s funny. Long story short: Kubrick’s The Shining was my boogeyman growing up. I had nightmares with Jack Nicholson with an axe, because my parents didn’t look at whatever it was getting screened on our TVs. As an adolescent, I loved the miniseries, that was released as one big film on VHS around here. Got into Stephen King’s books because of it.

I do see King’s point on why he didn’t like Kubrick’s adaptation btw. It’s a masterpiece, but as another master himself, I sort of see it like the usual bickering between Kirby and Lee fans. I do love Mike Flanagan’s Doctor Sleep more than either and it felt like a nice closure to one of my worst nightmare scares as a kid lol.

Definitely feels like Barben will go up later on. Nearly the same numbers as first Mon/Tue is very hard to believe. The spillover effect over the weekdays would have had to be next level for that and not really have had anything to do with WOM. I think they have great WOM though. 

Know I’ve been told Hainted Mansion marketing apparently did exist, but for me it was entirely non-existent. Not surprised at all at another big bomb for the mouse. Imagine being so stupid too as to release your spooky fun movie literally about 6 weeks before it actually makes sense to. Another case of them deserving this when you factor in the stupid budget as well. 

11 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

For sure. Have no idea about the box office for Snow White though. It won't get nearly as much backlash as TLM but not sure it will get as much hype either, at least not domestically.  

What is making me intrigued at face value with info that I just heard now is that Greta Gerwig is one of the screenwriters for the new Snow White. I wonder if the marketing will lean in on that for it. I haven’t watched Barbie yet but I went from ‘not caring’ to ‘I gotta see it on movie theaters somehow’. I will have a busy round of films next weekend: Indy, TMNT, Oppenheimer and Barbie. 

15 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

It’s not nefarious. It’s just that the world is different than it was one century ago. Also you being an anime fan explains a lot, it’s just a different medium to anything else from the western world. There is a reason why most animes are virtually unadaptable and better left off alone. 

My point is that this is stories for kids. You bet that there are Black kids loving to see themselves represented by Ariel; or Latina kids that will love to be seen represented by Snow White. In fact, I think it goes without saying that long before these adaptations were even a thing, there were black and Latino kids pretending to be mermaids, Disney princesses and etc.

It’s a lot like a lot of people used to say one decade ago about ‘why create a Black Spider-Man? Why Miles can’t be an original character with his own superhero name?’ No one is asking that stupid question anymore, isn’t it? Anyone can wear the mask. Anyone gets to be a princess, a mermaid, a Jedi knight, a Captain America or a Spider-Man. It’s about make believe for kids, after all.

Couldn't have said it better myself. 👏

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

What is making me intrigued at face value with info that I just heard now is that Greta Gerwig is one of the screenwriters for the new Snow White. I wonder if the marketing will lean in on that for it. I haven’t watched Barbie yet but I went from ‘not caring’ to ‘I gotta see it on movie theaters somehow’. I will have a busy round of films next weekend: Indy, TMNT, Oppenheimer and Barbie. 

I will be surprised if Greta does not get a shoutout. Lol I guess that can be used as the first sign of the "Greta effect" albeit on a smaller level because being a writer doesn't create as much visibility or hype as a director. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ororo Munroe said:

I will be surprised if Greta does not get a shoutout. Lol I guess that can be used as the first sign of the "Greta effect" albeit on a smaller level because being a writer doesn't create as much visibility or hype as a director. 

The ‘Greta Effect’ is definitely coming. I do wonder how much of her screenplay is used on this though, or if she gets credited at all. 

I’m so conflicted about the TMNT movie now that it has such rave reviews. I absolutely hate to see high quality animation fail right now at the box office, but also I want it to as karma for the Paramount execs having the audacity to shit all over the medium and say they won’t greenlit original animation anymore. The level of rage that statement gave me. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

How does everyone feel about Disney's slate next year.

Outside of Deadpool 3 none of the marvel movies feel like they're gonna turn a profit.

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes and Mufasa seem like they can go either way.

Elio and Inside Out 2 should at the very least turn things around for Pixar.

Elio - Not sure. This could be another Elemental where the start is soft but if it's good, WOM may give it some legs. Not a huge fan of the concept, but execution could change things. 

Snow White - Highlighting Gerwig could help. It could also be a Cinderella situation where the animated version is so old, it's due for an update. However, after the TLM casting backlash nonsense, who knows. I'm a little concerned there's no Prince/romance? The remakes my friends and I liked best--Jungle Book aside--had betters romances and MCs than the animated versions (Cinderella, Aladdin, TLM). Mulan pissed us off not only because it was bad, but Shang and Mulan were awesome in the animated version. They screwed over live-action Mulan in so many ways. 

Deadpool 3 - It'll do well, but I don't know if it'll reach the same heights as the previous 2 unless WOM is stellar. Jackson's Wolverine isn't as exciting as he would've been four years ago. 

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes - Will do okay but unless reviews and WOM are awesome, it will suffer having no Caesar. 

Inside Out 2 - Please be good. I loved the first one. If it's good, this has breakout possibilities. 

Mufasa - Almost everyone I know actively disliked or was meh on TLK '19, which I personally thought was an offense to films. However, I was sitting with my friends and we asked one another if we wanted to see Mufasa. At first, everyone said, no, then there was a pause, and most changed their answer to maybe. I'm still traumatized by TLK, but I'm a little curious to see what Jenkins does. It shames me to admit, but if the reviews are good, I'll probably see it. Could see be an Alice 2 drop or still make decent money. 

Captain America New World - If it's good, it can make okay to good money. If it's mid or bad, it's done. 

Alien movie - This feels DOA, but idk. 

The Amateur - Could do decent for its type. 

Thunderbolts - Another D&D