katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

6 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Barbie has a chance at becoming WB’s biggest movie ever and Oppenheimer has a chance at being Nolan’s biggest non-Batman movie ever.

After a summer full of disappointments, and with an Uncertain next few months ahead, this is just incredible to see.

Uncertain just means more fun...if we could have more premier movies bust the box office open, it could be very fun:).

Like, Five Nights at Freddy might be horrid (I honestly can't tell from the preview, but I have no knowledge of the product save for what my kids tell me), but some marketing guru could probably make it the hit of Halloween if given the room to generate interest (ala an actual marketing budget and a guarantee of no day and date)...

7 minutes ago, AniNate said:

And I still think it can get to 160m domestically

Eh I think that's the best case scenario after a $3.4 m weekend but we're mostly just talking the difference of $5 million or so from the DOM total.

Opp’s OS performance is stupid levels of “what?” for a movie like that in the OS market. Minus the major Asia players no less. Insane. As much as I said Nolan had been on a downward trajectory as a brand DOM before this, he has been a massive brand OS ever since Interstellar. None of the movies he’s done since then have had any business pulling this level of OS #s, it is definitely his name at this point in those markets. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, XXR Dar-Benn said:

No one but just the Beatles doing it negates your comment. I wouldn't put Elvis in the top 20 biggest celebrities worldwide. In the US his celebrity was/is enormous but it didn't extend much beyond the anglosphere. 

Yeah to add to what you said it’s more than just sales imo. They play a factor but there are more indicators. Impact worldwide plus the inflation factor of racist record labels, racist audiences, attitude’s during Elvis’s era places an asterisk by his name IMO. He’s in the discussion and I’ll give the historical respect but it’s pretty obvious to me Michael Jackson at his peak was the most famous celebrity / artist ever/ certainly post Elvis / Beatles without question no debate. MJ made people not care about what color he was - on 20x the level that anyone did before him, while breaking records and selling out stadiums and thensome. I was just overseas last year and heard more MJ than Taylor Swift whenever non-native radio was playing. Small sample size but let that sink in. Lol

For at least Music artists It’s certainly Beatles/Elvis*/ MJ in that tier- I’d throw in Madonna right after that but I’m sure others will have opinions for others. 

there’s a lot of names to put in the “most famous non-Jesus, non-religious figure” celebrity ever but those names would def be up there.

For sports obviously Ali, Jordan, Ronaldo, Messi, Pele, Woods (I know there’s others I just named off the top of my head for impact purposes) 

Edited by jaybox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Opp’s OS performance is stupid levels of “what?” for a movie like that in the OS market. Minus the major Asia players no less. Insane. As much as I said Nolan had been on a downward trajectory as a brand DOM before this, he has been a massive brand OS ever since Interstellar. None of the movies he’s done since then have had any business pulling this level of OS #s, it is definitely his name at this point in those markets. 

Tenet’s overseas performance was pretty amazing given the COVID problems in 2020. He has definitely gained a lot of trust & attention from audiences in many markets around the globe. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It has that much left OS? Seems like a lot this late in 

With the holds it was having a few weeks ago, it did kinda look like it was on a path to the 190s or so. 

It just grossed $16.1m this weekend OS vs. just $3.4m DOM which is an 83:17 ratio that doesn't even include Japan, which opens next weekend. There's still a lot of juice left overseas with some territories just beginning their school holidays.

• Like 1

I can't imagine Elemental's legs being any more impressive than this even if it had gotten like a 90% tomatometer. Yes, it probably benefited to an extent from a lack of... appealing competition I guess, but going to movies also isn't the only family summer recreation option. 

Any movie that's been out for a month is going to take a beating when a monstrosity like Barbieheimer is released regardless of how much people love it and given the circumstances Elemental has still been holding about as well as it can. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, lilmac said:

Based solely on this weekend alone here's where the ultimate Domestic grosses are tracking towards:

Barbie - $567M

Oppenheimer - $279M

Sound of Freedom - $183M

Mission Impossible 7 - $163M

Dial of Destiny - $177M

Elemental - $153M

Insidious: Red Door - $84M

Spiderman: Across the Spider-Verse - $382M

How did you get these numbers for Barbenheimer, they seem awfully... low

• Like 1

Just now, AniNate said:

I can't imagine Elemental's legs being any more impressive than this even if it had gotten like a 90% tomatometer. Yes, it probably benefited to an extent from a lack of... appealing competition I guess, but going to movies also isn't the only family summer recreation option. 

That being said any movie that's been out for a month is going to take a beating when a monstrosity like Barbieheimer comes out regardless of how much people love it.

I think that is a silly statement when we’ve seen some truly insane multis since covid, and with much higher OWs in some cases. 5-5.5x or whatever is not the WOM phenomenon most think it is when your movie opens to a fraction of your brand power in an empty market (for direct comp). But I’m not getting into this all again. Obviously people like Elemental at least, that’s not the question. 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think that is a silly statement when we’ve seen some truly insane multis since covid, and with much higher OWs in some cases. 5-5.5x or whatever is not the WOM phenomenon most think it is when your movie opens to a fraction of your brand power in an empty market (for direct comp). But I’m not getting into this all again. Obviously people like Elemental at least, that’s not the question. 

Yeah I think Elemental's DOM performance certainly could have been leggier if it had been as well received as it was in e.g. South Korea or Argentina which are both tracking for something silly like 15x+ multipliers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

If Nolan made a genuinely traditionally appealing OS blockbuster soon, it would probably challenge OS records. The ironic part is he never has, since Batman is actually one of the least appealing OS major Hollywood IPs. 

It's wrong to say Batman isn't appealing OS, why was Joker such a huge success or the fact in some countries like the UK, The Batman did better than the majority of the MCU films in 2022 aside from Doctor Strange and even then there wasn't much between them.

Like No Way Home having the second biggest OW ever and then breezing past 3x like it was nothing as a 7th Spidey movie/30th MCU flick, whatever it was (in a market where people were still very much scared of public outings no less), was a million times more impressive WOM than what Elemental has done. For context. Not even mentioning Puss, also far more impressive and comparable of a case. Also talking DOM here. 

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It's wrong to say Batman isn't appealing OS, why was Joker such a huge success or the fact in some countries like the UK, The Batman did better than the majority of the MCU films in 2022 aside from Doctor Strange and even then there wasn't much between them.

It’s not wrong at all. Round up the modern A tier Hollywood IPs and you will see Batman is easily near the bottom of that list in OS pull. TDKR barely beats Interstellar and Inceptions OS, when it really should have crushed those. That says it all. Joker is not a “Batman” film for the record. It’s its own thing. 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 minute ago, Bob Train said:

I'm not sure Elemental will do that well in Japan, highest grossing Disney non-Avatar movie since COVID is TLM which only did 20m, and that's a musical.

Who even knows what Japan goes for with Hollywood anymore. Mario is the only Hollywood movie I have been sure on all decade. 

15 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Like No Way Home having the second biggest OW ever and then breezing past 3x like it was nothing as a 7th Spidey movie/30th MCU flick, whatever it was (in a market where people were still very much scared of public outings no less), was a million times more impressive WOM than what Elemental has done. For context. Not even mentioning Puss, also far more impressive and comparable of a case. Also talking DOM here. 

I'm not denying how impressive either of those were but you know winter is different from summer. 

A more salient point might be the original Shrek having a 6.3 multiplier in 2001, and sure, that was an insane run. But also one you could attribute to "zero competition".

Edited by AniNate

It's always interesting to me how of all the batman-related films we have, Joker is the one with the highest OS total.

And I think it's safe to say Batman is fairly popular overseas. He may not have any film that's gone to insane heights overseas like other franchise (Fast & Furious, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Marvel etc.), but putting out some 4 or 5 straight films between 400-600M shows that he's a constantly solid character