katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

2024 Disney slate

Elio -This has to overcome sci Fi stigma for animation. So don't know.

Snow White . Gerwig having written this makes Abit curious but still think is going to bomb if TLM is anything to go by. It's also gonna deviate most from it's original and whether that turns into something good or Mulan level disaster will see.

Deadpool 3 . Slam dunk though won't be surprised if it  doesn't reach some of the lofty expectations.

Thunderbolts/brave new world . Complete and total wildcards could completely fall flat or do well. 

Inside out 2. Will do well but don't think it will match the original.

Mufasa - 50+% drop off from TLK 2019.

Alien Romulus - don't know

Kingdom of the planet of the apes. Don't know about this one.

Edited by Liiviig 1998

Deadpool 3 will be all about marketing. Wolverine finally  in the correct attire and interacting with Deadpool and being brought into the MCU?! It smells like a huge gold mine to me.

As long as the marketing is good and the films don’t suck, I think we just might end next year with two R-rated superhero movies as the TOP2 of BO

Something feels broken in how PLF theaters get booked right now. Obviously IMAX and Dolby have become major components of theatrical marketing campaigns so I wouldn't expect Disney with its punitive attitude towards theater chains to suddenly relent on booking HAUNTED MANSON in Dolby... but it's obvious MANSION is gonna make a fraction in Dolby this weekend of what BARBIE would've made. It's also obvious that the average digital IMAX screen will make more off of OPPENHEIMER'S fourth weekend than an entire run of GRAN TURISMO or BLUE BEETLE.

Here in LA, FLASH did basically zero business in its second weekend IMAX runs. Give those to SPIDERVERSE or even any older WB title and you get more business, even if you don't spend a cent to promote it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arlborn said:

Deadpool 3 will be all about marketing. Wolverine finally  in the correct attire and interacting with Deadpool and being brought into the MCU?! It smells like a huge gold mine to me.

As long as the marketing is good and the films don’t suck, I think we just might end next year with two R-rated superhero movies as the TOP2 of BO

Deadpool as a property also has a big advantage of being an institution of its own, independent from the bigger Marvel brand. The latter's recent struggles shouldn't affect the former much.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Next year overall seems kind of depressing.

Has there been any widespread hype for anything at all?

Deadpool has for sure. Both the Wolverine announcement and the first look images went mega-viral. If it stays in 2024, its the favorite to be the year's highest grosser imo

Snow White does have the advantage that it's so old that a bit of reinvention wouldn't be a bad thing. Cinderella succeeded because they took what worked but added to it rather than be a carbon copy of the original. Likewise with The Jungle Book. 

Given Greta Gerwig's work not just on Barbie but also Little Women, I think it might surprise us but we need to see actual footage rather than BTS stuff.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Eric the Hatbox Ghost said:

Joker 2 certainly got major hype and huge headlines from the Gaga casting and a few of the first look photos. It's weird to say this, since the novelty factor isn't as strong and superhero fatigue and all, but that feels like the strongest candidate to be #1 next year...assuming it does come out next year lol

That will be huge.  What’s the R rating OW record? Is it still Deadpool? It’ll destroy that. 

1 minute ago, Gopher said:

Something feels broken in how PLF theaters get booked right now. Obviously IMAX and Dolby have become major components of theatrical marketing campaigns so I wouldn't expect Disney with its punitive attitude towards theater chains to suddenly relent on booking HAUNTED MANSON in Dolby... but it's obvious MANSION is gonna make a fraction in Dolby this weekend of what BARBIE would've made. It's also obvious that the average digital IMAX screen will make more off of OPPENHEIMER'S fourth weekend than an entire run of GRAN TURISMO or BLUE BEETLE.

Here in LA, FLASH did basically zero business in its second weekend IMAX runs. Give those to SPIDERVERSE or even any older WB title and you get more business, even if you don't spend a cent to promote it.

Said this before and I will continue to say it until I am blue in the face: just retrofit some auditoriums and give us two IMAXes and two Dolbys in these big theaters. You get to placate the studios with their strict contracts and demands, while also giving people another option with another movie. It's better for the consumer, fits with the current industry trend, and leads to better legs instead of every movie falling like a rock in weekend 2 and hoping it will eventually stabilize.

It's not always going to be perfect. Dead Reckoning would still get screwed over since I'm sure both Barbie and Oppy would have taken up those two IMAX/Dolby auditoriums. But it's way better than what's happening right now and it's baffling to me that theaters didn't prepare for this before the summer started. If AMC doesn't take advantage of the incoming dead period coming soon and begin some construction work, then it really seems like they just want to fail.

Although IMAX the corporation is also to blame here. They are notorious for having strict stipulations with movies and tight contracts for movies, as well as having really strong relations with WB and Disney that they refuse to back out from. Which in most cases is just ridiculous. I remember in February 2020 they had Birds of Prey playing in IMAX for like three weeks straight, even though Sonic the Hedgehog was right there and would have obviously brought in more people. But heaven forbid, WB just had to be greedy and waste all those big auditoriums.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Snow White . Gerwig having written this makes Abit curious but still think is going to bomb if TLM is anything to go by.

TLM is making almost 300M DOM. Don't disagree that Snow White is a tougher sell but going by TLM goes against your point.

• Like 5

FRI numbers doesn’t seem that bad, don’t get the concerns 

Should be enough for 85M / 45M 

And it’s so early that it can easily ended up a bit better 

Hoping Talk To Me will do well through the weekend, 12M would be nice 

Haunted Mansion is DOA and Disney really should make a revaluation of pretty much everything they’re doing 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eric the Hatbox Ghost said:

Said this before and I will continue to say it until I am blue in the face: just retrofit some auditoriums and give us two IMAXes and two Dolbys in these big theaters. You get to placate the studios with their strict contracts and demands, while also giving people another option with another movie. It's better for the consumer, fits with the current industry trend, and leads to better legs instead of every movie falling like a rock in weekend 2 and hoping it will eventually stabilize.

As a foreigner, this part is hilarious to me, as we barely have 8 IMAX screens in the entire country, while you Americans could have two per theater if the chains want as such. I would've loved to see Oppenheimer in IMAX, but since I don't live in any of the whopping 3 provinces offering it, I'll never get that chance.

Edited by BadOlCatSylvester
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

TLM is making almost 300M DOM. Don't disagree that Snow White is a tougher sell but going by TLM goes against your point.

I'd also add that casting a Black actress as Ariel is always gonna generate more controversy/outrage than casting a Latina as Snow White

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Eric the Hatbox Ghost said:

It's not always going to be perfect. Dead Reckoning would still get screwed over since I'm sure both Barbie and Oppy would have taken up those two IMAX/Dolby auditoriums. But it's way better than what's happening right now and it's baffling to me that theaters didn't prepare for this before the summer started. If AMC doesn't take advantage of the incoming dead period coming soon and begin some construction work, then it really seems like they just want to fail.

Although IMAX the corporation is also to blame here. They are notorious for having strict stipulations with movies and tight contracts for movies, as well as having really strong relations with WB and Disney that they refuse to back out from. Which in most cases is just ridiculous. I remember in February 2020 they had Birds of Prey playing in IMAX for like three weeks straight, even though Sonic the Hedgehog was right there and would have obviously brought in more people. But heaven forbid, WB just had to be greedy and waste all those big auditoriums.

There are not anywhere near enough PLF screens, that's for damn sure. Sadly, a theater near me that has 6 PLF's got shutdown recently because of Regal's bankruptcy problems. It's a very nice place that also has a bowling alley, full restaurant/bar, etc. There are some rumors that another company such as Cinemark will take over and re-open it at some point. But for now, it sucks to see a great place get shutdown. 

1 minute ago, upriser7 said:

I'd also add that casting a Black actress as Ariel is always gonna generate more controversy/outrage than casting a Latina as Snow White

which is dumb, given that ariel could be any color while snow white is literally named after her skin color lol

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

There are not anywhere near enough PLF screens, that's for damn sure. Sadly, a theater near me that has 6 PLF's got shutdown recently because of Regal's bankruptcy problems. It's a very nice place that also has a bowling alley, full restaurant/bar, etc. There are some rumors that another company such as Cinemark will take over and re-open it at some point. But for now, it sucks to see a great place get shutdown. 

Was it the Palladium?

The location is too god damn far away.