katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

You don’t go from the dominance of the 10s to this kind of floppage and say “bad year!” It’s clearly a signal that there has been a big shift in their status in the industry. 

Tbf it's entirely on them given that despite all of the damage their brand has taken on in the last few years, they still have the most structural advantages of all the studios on account of the fact that they simply have so many more valuable IPs and studios

Just now, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Was it, though? Everyone was talking about it. Every week. Like, sure, reception wasn't amazing, but in the meantime, shows like What We Do In The Shadows, which keeps getting renewed, had pre-release review articles, but nothing else, and that show has been going for four weeks.

Everyone? Really? I personally didn't see even the hashtag trend for once during its run. I gave up on the series after the 2nd episode which was even worse than the already woeful 1st. It set a new record for me giving up on a D+ series. The previous record was held by Falcon & WS (2 and a half episodes).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

You don’t go from the dominance of the 10s to this kind of floppage and say “bad year!” It’s clearly a signal that there has been a big shift in their status in the industry. 

This is the same year the best-reviewed Mission Impossible movie won't even break even, so I don't know if this year is going to prove anything other than the power of advertising and memes (Barbie's cross-promotion and brand deals; Barbenheimer).

The fact that 2024 could be even worse for Disney… all it takes is DP3 not being well received and they have nothing to fall back on as a sure hit. 

They're not going to cease to exist just because of a rough patch. They've been through worse and made a comeback.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

They're not going to cease to exist just because of a rough patch. They've been through worse and made a comeback.

Who said that? I said back to the early 00s days… they existed then as far as I’m aware. 

Though all those buyout rumors actually happening wouldn’t be nearly as shocking now as they would have been a couple years ago. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Universal has been doing the best post-COVID, sure they've put out stinkers BO wise like Bros or Fast X, but they have way more "breakout hits" than any other studios (M3GAN, Minions 2, etc.), showing they have superior marketing.

Honestly, I think the focus on Disney just makes it easier to ignore the problems with Hollywood in general: No one has any idea what's going on.

Barbie and Oppenheimer aren't only doing well because they're good movies, because other good films have come out and bombed (again, MI7 is the main one I point to). And then there's Guardians 3 which everyone ignores. Spider-Verse did great box office, but the sequel won't come out for 2-3 more years, so the moey made from that won't do much good for Sony overall. Super Mario did great, but the writing was mid. And a number of top box office performers of the year will end up being considered flops because their budget was too big, and yet, they sit on the top ten of the year...

• Thanks 1

Just now, Bob Train said:

Universal has been doing the best post-COVID, sure they've put out stinkers BO wise like Bros or Fast X, but they have way more "breakout hits" than any other studios (M3GAN, Minions 2, etc.), showing they have superior marketing.

Fast X isn't a stinker, it made over $700m WW Something like Redfield would be more appropriate

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

This is the same year the best-reviewed Mission Impossible movie won't even break even, so I don't know if this year is going to prove anything other than the power of advertising and memes (Barbie's cross-promotion and brand deals; Barbenheimer).

Have fun with the M:I fans!

Disney does have Avatar 2 cash to survive most of this decade with flops if nothing else. I thought that was such a stupid acquisition on their part at the time too, who knew it would be their saving grace just mere years later. 

+No Way Home and maybe Encanto cash from this decade (I’m not sure what merch sales have been like for it since theatrical revenue was nil) 

Edited by MovieMan89

Fast X isn't a stinker, it made over $700m WW Something like Redfield would be more appropriate

700m WW on a 340m budget with 150m from China. Though I think the next one can do better.

Just now, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Honestly, I think the focus on Disney just makes it easier to ignore the problems with Hollywood in general: No one has any idea what's going on.

Barbie and Oppenheimer aren't only doing well because they're good movies, because other good films have come out and bombed (again, MI7 is the main one I point to). And then there's Guardians 3 which everyone ignores. Spider-Verse did great box office, but the sequel won't come out for 2-3 more years, so the moey made from that won't do much good for Sony overall. Super Mario did great, but the writing was mid. And a number of top box office performers of the year will end up being considered flops because their budget was too big, and yet, they sit on the top ten of the year...

Mission Impossible gets piled on but yet in many markets, it's doing franchise best numbers. The budget was high but couldn't be helped. Paramount is likely proud of it and going forward with the next film with little to no interference. 

Who said that? I said back to the early 00s days… they existed then as far as I’m aware. 

Though all those buyout rumors actually happening wouldn’t be nearly as shocking now as they would have been a couple years ago. 

The buyout rumors are studio propaganda made to look like the studio is struggling more than it is, so Iger's dumbass comments about the Strike don't seem as dumbass. 

It's funny, the more I think about that time The Rock talked about Black Adam's financials, the more I think he was simply revealing the truths of Hollywood Accounting. It's pretty funny he's, so far, the biggest supporter, financially, for the SAG Strike fund...

• Like 1

Mission Impossible gets piled on but yet in many markets, it's doing franchise best numbers. The budget was high but couldn't be helped. Paramount is likely proud of it and going forward with the next film with little to no interference

How do you know? Hasn't the SAG strike been going since the domestic release of the film? We won't know what the true effect will be until production can begin again on the film.

18 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Was it, though? Everyone was talking about it. Every week. Like, sure, reception wasn't amazing, but in the meantime, shows like What We Do In The Shadows, which keeps getting renewed, had pre-release review articles, but nothing else, and that show has been going for four weeks.

Everyone? Beware of your own biases; no one in my life talks about Paw Patrol, but it’s extremely popular. Many people in my life talked about The Fabelmans, and it barely broke $10M domestic. “Everyone was talking about it” is bad data

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

How do you know? Hasn't the SAG strike been going since the domestic release of the film? We won't know what the true effect will be until production can begin again on the film.

The film was on a planned hiatus as Cruise was doing the promotional tour for DR1 and it's already 40% shot. I think given how Cruise is pretty much in the driving seat for MI, Paramount can't do much if anything to it. 

8 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

700m WW on a 340m budget with 150m from China. Though I think the next one can do better.

No one's saying it's a massive success it's just definitely not a stinker.

8 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Disney market share used to be over 40%, now they've acquired Fox and get to pump out Avatar movies, but they've plummeted to like 20% market share. Embarrassing. 

Where are you getting those figures, because this is what The Numbers has:

2023 - 21.36%

2022 - 18.26%

2021 - 20.42%

2020 - 0

2019 - 33.37%

2018 - 26.25%

2017 - 21.74%

2016 - 26.12%

2015 - 20.98%

2014 - 15.60%

2013 - 15.97%