Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Estimates - Barbie $53M (hit a billion!), Meg2 $30M, Oppy $28.7, TMNT - $27.95M (5-day $43M), HauntedMansion $8.97M

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Don't worry, it's just one poster here who was hoping Barbie would miss 600M but since that ain't gonna happen, she is now hoping Barbie will miss 650M. Goalpost shifting if there was ever one. :lol:

According to my expert box office calculations, Barbie might indeed reach 650M, but i dont see it going higher than that tbh.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, vale9001 said:

yeah i don't think there is nostalgia effect for Shia or Megan Fox. Nostalgia effect is now too much overrated, "no one" cared about big pieces like Keaton Batman or Ford Indiana. 

I think the transformers were popular for a specific directing style in a precise moment for blockbusters and that's all. I don't think most people remember the name of these characters or have this  affection for them after 20 years like it's the Back to the future saga or Harry Potter.  

There’s not nostalgia for 30 or 40 year old properties like Indy or Keaton’s Batman because the audience that was nostalgic for those doesn’t bother going to movies anymore. Top Gun is the only exception, but that was an anomaly. 

For 10 or 20 year old properties like Tobey’s Spidey or Despicable Me there is nostalgia, it’s just up to the studio to harness it.

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

There’s not nostalgia for 30 or 40 year old properties like Indy or Keaton’s Batman because the audience that was nostalgic for those doesn’t bother going to movies anymore. Top Gun is the only exception, but that was an anomaly. 

For 10 or 20 year old properties like Tobey’s Spidey or Despicable Me there is nostalgia, it’s just up to the studio to harness it.

Idk how things like despicable me or transformers could mine nostalgia considering they release a new movie every few years and don’t reboot. Spidey’s nostalgic sell only worked due to the reboots

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

Idk how things like despicable me or transformers could mine nostalgia considering they release a new movie every few years and don’t reboot. Spidey’s nostalgic sell only worked due to the reboots

I think Minions 2 had nostalgia from teens fueling it’s box office. That’s why it made 950m when most other animated movies can only manage 200-500 worldwide post-covid. 

Just now, Bob Train said:

It’s crazy how The Last Knight was considered to be a horrendous flop back in 2017, making 650m on a 200m budget. 

If that’s a flop, 90% of the movies released this summer are cataclysmic nuclear bombs. 

cause they are. It's just fans who find excuses but they are. Whenever it isn't clear whether a movie is a success or not, it's not. SV, SoF and Barbenheimer are what success looks like. You don't have to twist yourself in a pretzel to give them a positive spin. You just know they are huge.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

It’s crazy how The Last Knight was considered to be a horrendous flop back in 2017, making 650m on a 200m budget. 

If that’s a flop, 90% of the movies released this summer are cataclysmic nuclear bombs. 

People on here always call films flops if they dont meet certain standards. I dont think they always mean financial flops though.More underperforming = flop to some poeple.

I mean we often get sequels to films that DO look like they have flopped financailly, so i think more goes on behind the scenes with these films that people on here know about.

Edited by stuart360

6 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

general studio take from areas gives Last Knight 220mil (It made 230mil from China out of it's total of 610mil) TLK also had a budget of 217mil, which puts it roughly on par with The Little Mermaid for profit despite TLM costing 30mil~ more

Edited by Ledmonkey96

Just now, Firepower said:

My Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom experience.

Honestly, the acting in that was like award-winning level compared to this. It's not often I see a big budget movie that so completely fails on every single level. I could probably take every single bit of bad writing, shit action, unfunny humour if the lead was an over the top but charismatic character. Statham was just sleep walking through this, though. Just an absolute waste of two hours.

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Shrek 5 seems like the most obvious IP to tap into nostalgia-wise right now, especially with how well Puss in Boot was received. Easy billy once they finally make it.

Shrek 5 - if its anywhere near as good as Puss in Boots 2 - will make a run at 1,5B WW. Easy. Its the biggest nostalgia property Hollywood has left, they just need to realize it.

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

My Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom experience.

Bad Opinion!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

third weekend jurassic world 54.5M

third weekend barbie: 54M

second week weekdays jurassic world 43M

second week weekdays barbie 55M

third week weekdays jurassic world 27M

third week weekdays barbie: after 55M this week way more  than that, trust me 🤣

it's absolutely still in thhe territory of JW, making the difference lower and lower.

Did I say it wasn't in the JW territory? Lol I simply said 650 isn't locked and it isn't. Weekdays are likely not going to be as strong going forward and it needs to have even better holds to reach 650. 

26 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Don't worry, it's just one poster here who was hoping Barbie would miss 600M but since that ain't gonna happen, she is now hoping Barbie will miss 650M. Goalpost shifting if there was ever one. :lol:

I hope this isn't directed at me because you would be wrong, as you often are. 

1 minute ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Did I say it wasn't in the JW territory? Lol I simply said 650 isn't locked and it isn't. Weekdays are likely not going to be as strong going forward and it needs to have even better holds to reach 650. 

I hope this isn't directed at me because you would be wrong, as you often are. 

It's absolutely directed at you. And I'm not wrong.