Gavin Feng

Weekdays Thread: Barbie $9.1M MON | $9.6M TUES

6 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

So 93.3% of TDKR's daily number. If that continues the rest of the way, Oppy would finish around $317 million domestic. Oppy needs to stay above 73% of TDKR's daily numbers to reach $300 million total. Seems very doable at the moment. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Krissykins said:

My biggest Oscars upset of all time is still Crash beating Brokeback Mountain.

I liked Crash, but come on. 

damn you liked Crash? I can't even watch one minute of that movie before dying of cringe.

• Heart 1

16 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

How about No Country For Old Men? 

I have never liked that movie, but I know I’m in the minority. I am also firmly  in the There Will Be Blood camp, but admittedly I didn’t expect to see some others here say the same haha. 

Edited by MovieMan89

17 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Fun fact: Oppenheimer has now outgrossed Beverly Hills Cop. The former #1 record holder for the biggest R rated movie of all time has now left the domestic top 10 after a whopping 39 years. Would have been cool to see it last one year longer, but still very impressive.

• Like 3

There will be blood is blessed with an amazing performance by an amazing actor. But the movie itself is definitely enough to cure insomnia. It's one of the most boring snooze fests I've ever seen.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

6 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I saw Crash for the first time last year. It's pretty hilariously bad.

That opening scene where they're like "we should be scared in this neighborhood, why aren't we? Cause we got guns? Oh shit you right." Is like parody levels of bad.

Cronenberg Crash is supposedly a good movie, though

• Like 1

Just now, Eric the Turtle said:

Fun fact: Oppenheimer has now outgrossed Beverly Hills Cop. The former #1 record holder for the biggest R rated movie of all time has now left the domestic top 10 after a whopping 39 years. Would have been cool to see it last one year longer, but still very impressive.

Eddie Murphy was a giant in the 80s. And BHC and its sequel still make me laugh to this day 🤣

• Like 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I have never liked that movie, but I know I’m in the minority. I am also firmly  in the There Will Be Blood Camp, but admittedly I didn’t expect to see several others here say the same haha. 

They're both awesome movies in their own way. Too bad they came out the same year. There Will Be Blood is better than a lot of other movies that won Best Picture through the years. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

There will be blood is blessed with an amazing performance by an amazing actor. But the movie itself is definitely enough to cure insomnia. It's one of the most boring snooze fests I've ever seen.

That’s the wrong movie, you’re thinking of No Country!! Haha. 

TWBB is maybe the most fascinating depiction of a descent into madness I’ve ever seen. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

No Country is practically perfect. Lean, elegant, career best writing from the Coens, and incredible performances from everyone, and it manages to be poetic without being pretentious in the slightest.

The shift in narrative perspective towards the end is one of the best rug pulls ever... I didn't quite believe it the first time I saw it. 

It's a film I'll happily watch anytime it's on TV.

There Will Be Blood is great, but I have to admit it's a far harder watch and more obtuse film (and one I've rarely re-visited in full). DDL os brilliant, and it's beautifully shot and scored... but it can be a real slog. Phantom Thread is PTAs best film, by a country mile... From my subjective viewpoint!

46 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

An FYI, that might help explain this Tuesday number a little. In Canada, which is heavy on Discount Tuesdays, our largest chain Cinplex had evening Gran Turismo previews last night. So Oppy was down from 3 to 2 IMAX showings yesterday, and lost the most important one. Couple that will the fact that Canada does gangbuster business on Tuesdays, that likely accounts for some of the decrease from Monday - Tuesday.

Monday’s Oppy IMAX night shows were still selling out, and then had zero yesterday cause the IMAX night shows were gone. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Universal has been slower than the other studios pretty much every day, so I guess we will see if this number changes later in the day. If not, then it seems the 3 hour runtime was a big deal for the Canadian holiday boost on Monday. 

I believe it still great number. This is how I see the rest of the week playing out.

$4,363,530  
$3,765,726 -13.70%
$3,554,846 -5.60%
$5,038,994 +41.75%
$6,792,564 +34.8%
$5,739,716 -15.50%

$17,571,274 -39.7% weekend drop.

• Like 1