Gavin Feng

Weekdays Thread: Barbie $9.1M MON | $9.6M TUES

Uncharted did way better than anyone (I’m sure Sony included) ever thought it would. And Holland isn’t an aging action star. Of course they’re doing another one. Who knows, maybe it will actually follow the trajectory of the games with the first being meh and then the sequels being some of the best in their genre? 

• Like 1

People really love the lion king characters so the prequel can make great numbers but it needs a really really good story. Audience is there but you need to giv them a story with the same emotional impact. 

Mufasa death for example is shocking first time you watch it. They need a story is surprising in the same way. If it's just the predictable sequel where everything is forced to bring the story where you know it's going with the  original it's boring. 

Edited by vale9001

10 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Elio 250/400/650

Snow White 125/125/250

Deadpool 3 350/500/850

Inside Out 350/450/800

Mufasa 150/250/400

Cap 4 250/300/550

Thunderbolts 200/250/450

huge bombs of Snow White + Mufasa will end live-action remake era for Disney. 

fingers crossed that is the case. Although they’ve remade pretty much everything now so the well was almost dry. 

I’m not totally down on Snow White as we’ve had a few paparazzi shots and that’s it. I don’t like the direction they’ve gone in, but will reserve judgement. As for performance, really not too sure. 

Mufasa - didn’t like Lion King 2019. Cannot believe Jenkins is doing it. Have no idea how it’ll do either as anything Lion King has always been a licence to print money. 

Fingers crossed the franchise era of Disney is about to take a major turn 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Indy 5 had more demand than this movie, and, well…

Mufasa is very easily fighting Alice 2 for the title of epitome of “sequel/prequel absolutely no one asked for” DOM at least. 

Indy 5 did NOT have more demand than Mufasa. Gen Z didn't care about Indy at all.

Yeah you can say "commercial disappointment" or "drop off" for Mufasa but saying there's less raw demand for another Lion King than Indy 5 betrays an ignorance of how generations work.

• Like 1

I don't get the negativity about the Lion king. 

Of course 1.7B Is not happening again but 900-1B is happening for sure. 

It's true the buzz around live actions seems like It's dying but here the story will be totally new so people will get more interested. 

Also Jenkins as director could make another kind of audience interested like with gerwig- Barbie. 

Edited by vale9001

The Lion King (2019) has not aged well. I think it’s one of the most forgotten of the theatrically released live action remakes. I don’t have any faith in a Mufasa prequel being any good at all. I never even liked the Lion King direct to video movies as a kid and I liked a lot of those growing up. 

12 hours ago, XXR Dar-Benn said:

Disney 2024 Box Office Predictions (DOM / OS / WW)**

Elio = 220 / 380 / 600

Snow White = 150 / 300 / 450

Deadpool 3 = 520 / 730 / 1250

Inside Out 2 = 400 / 600 / 1000

Mufasa = 320 / 580 / 900

Cap 4 = 300 / 375 / 675

Thunderbolts = 225 / 350 / 575

**Subject to change at any moment because I can't always keep my predictions the same 😎

Elio - 215/355/570

Snow White - 165/185/350

Deadpool and Wolverine - 425/575/1000

Apes - 175/300/475

Inside Out 2 - 325/450/775

Mufasa - 170/275/425

Cap 4 - 235/295/530

*Untitled WDAS Film - 200/450/650 (if 2ootopia - 385/715/1100)

Thunderbolts - 215/260/475

Think animation will be their saving grace considering the holding power of Elemental and potential for Wish to be big, Elio should be a nice little hit and IO2 I’m feeling more around MU numbers but can grow if quality is there (if mystery movie is Zootopia, I think it can be the biggest of the year).

Dubious about Deadpool 3’s quality since the first two didn’t age as well personally and the MCU’s mixed batting average, if this has bad quality - it’ll have BvS/MoM/QM level legs but Wolverine’s the biggest asset. Cap 4/Thunderbolts so long as budget is closer to 175m-200m vs 250m should be fine but am expecting moreso solo numbers for both due to again the mixed batting average (Cap 4 has potential for a domestic breakout but am dubious about OS due to racism in some countries stopping it from getting to true potential but Hulk addition will soften the blow). 

The remake well is essentially dried out until the inevitable Moana and Tangled and Frozen remakes. Mufasa seems in it for a rough drop, and Snow White doesn’t seem like a firebrand but will do alright if budget is nice enough. 

Apes will do okay. That is all.

Edited by YM!

12 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Indy 5 had more demand than this movie, and, well…

Mufasa is very easily fighting Alice 2 for the title of epitome of “sequel/prequel absolutely no one asked for” DOM at least. 

Can't believe what my eyes are seeing.

vince-mc-mahon-appalled.gif

The disrespect towards the legendary Mufasa and some don't even dare to utter his name 

Edited by Geo1500

26 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I don't get the negativity about the Lion king. 

Of course 1.7B Is not happening again but 900-1B is happening for sure. 

It's true the buzz around live actions seems like It's dying but here the story will be totally new so people will get more interested. 

Also Jenkins as director could make another kind of audience interested like with gerwig- Barbie. 

I'm not sure the buzz about Disney live actions is really dying. They're pretty criticized, but that was already happening when The Lion King makes 1.7B.

It seems Disney will try "Tangled" and "Princess and the Frog" live actions.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

DM4 will double Mufasa,

Mid vs mid but honestly yeah. Though I think there’s only two good movies in the Despicable Me universe, at least the target audience liked the movies and Minions 2 gave enough of a break to revitalize interest (imho in a pandemic-less world - Minions 2 would’ve had a bad drop due to decreasing returns of Illumination in the 2018-19 stretch), Mufasa will ride or die on quality and hypothetically speaking if Jenkins cooks - the drop could be minimum but it’s a live action remake with a poorly received first, think drop will be rough.

Edited by YM!

It is not like people are waiting and dying for DM4 type of movies to hit the theaters but it is the famlies who go and watch and honestly majority of time they don't care what type of kids animation is on. Just an excuse for father-son moments.

Despite the first one not being recieved well. I can't imagine a world where the LION KING prequel is doing worse then DM4 or gather less hype then it 

Edited by Geo1500

17 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

Can't believe what my eyes are seeing.

vince-mc-mahon-appalled.gif

The disrespect towards the legendary Mufasa and some don't even dare to utter his name 

Disclaimer: Mufasa is gonna breakout big time 

I dont think anybody would disrespect Mufasa as a character. One of the most legendary dads in cinema and animation history.

But i do think disrespect for the disgusting and awful Lion King 2019 remake is warranted. If the Mufasa prequel looks exactly like that abomination, i woundt expect great numbers for it with all honesty.

• Like 2

I can't really speak to whether little kids disliked the Lion King remake or not but I know today's kids had close to zero Indy demand. And plenty of franchises from "my day" pretty much survived okay (TMNT, Transformers, Mario). There was just none for Indy. Kids from the 90s that watched the original trilogy on VHS were the last to "grow up" with Indy. Acting like there was a vast youth audience waiting on pins and needles for Dial of Destiny is REALLY distorting the market.

• Like 1

Mufasa feels like Disney just threw a dart at a wall of characters, hit him and thought “fuck it.”

my only mild curiosity concerning the project is whether they do the whole (massively misjudged) realistic looking animal routine again.

• Like 1

I think people underestimate how big a part the soundtracks played in the success of the renaissance big-3 live actions. The entire world knows these songs back and forth, they were the equivalent of big set pieces and money shots that people came to see. People still love Mufasa and the Genie but the interest in a TLK prequel that doesn't have Circle of Life or a (seemingly already canceled) Aladdin 2 without a Friend Like Me drops dramatically. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Joel M said:

I think people underestimate how big a part the soundtracks played in the success of the renaissance big-3 live actions. The entire world knows these songs back and forth, they were the equivalent of big set pieces and money shots that people came to see. People still love Mufasa and the Genie but the interest in a TLK prequel that doesn't have Circle of Life or a (seemingly already canceled) Aladdin 2 without a Friend Like Me drops dramatically. 

That's actually one of the main reasons I think Snow White won't do that well. The other being the lack of a big international star.

• Like 3