Issac Newton

Weekday #s | Aug 14-17 | Barbie #1 WB Domestic Film of ALL TIME, because it’s what she DESERVES.

36 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Last year's Cinema Day was on a holiday weekend and a Saturday, so the admissions for a regular Sunday might be lower. OTOH, the higher ticket prices can offset any losses in attendance--if any, because the marketplace has more depth than 2022, so that might boost demand. Theaters have experience with National Cinema Day now and won't be as unprepared. Looking forward to how it works out...

Last year the movie's with the best Cinema day weekend bumps were TGM, Super pets, and Minions 2.

So Barbie and TMNT should benefit the most this year. Beetle could have a flat 2nd weekend.

1 hour ago, NCsoft said:

NATO list 2022 ATP as $10.58 for 2022, I'd assume 2023 ATP would be something like $10.80, but with the proliferation of PLFs, I think ticket price is drastically different from one film to another, depending on how much PLF and 3D helps the film.

It is hard to imagine any big budget movie with significant PLF has anything lower than $12 ATP these days, Barbie has reportedly $12.65 average ticket price and Oppenheimer at $13.65 for their opening weekends, might go down a bit over time though, Avatar 2 was like $14.5+

https://deadline.com/2023/07/box-office-barbie-oppenheimer-barbenheimer-1235443828/

$14.5 is just insane. On one hand, it makes it a bummer to think about how much admissions don’t really reflect such a huge gross. On the other hand, the admissions seem even more impressive bc it’s crazy that many people were willing to pay those kind of prices. That means they really really wanted to go see it, you don’t pay that for a movie otherwise. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

With Cinema Day and Labor Day weekend MI7 could pass Indy 5. 

Barbie still on track for 640-650 imo.

Barbie final milestones will be $648M for 4x multipler and $652.3M to become Top 10 DOM. Let's see if WB will bother pushing it if it gets close.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Last year the movie's with the best Cinema day weekend bumps were TGM, Super pets, and Minions 2.

So Barbie and TMNT should benefit the most this year. Beetle could have a flat 2nd weekend.

Flat 2nd weekend? No. Maybe flat 2nd Sunday and a good 3rd weekend hold with Labor day weekend.

10 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Other countries track it, so it can be done. 

I’m pretty sure distributors do have access to that data, but it’s not in their best interest to release it usually. 

Sometimes they do though, for example Universal gave Nintendo reported worldwide admissions for Mario for Nintendo’s shareholder meeting iirc.

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 2

Like Uni just gave Nintendo an actual worldwide admissions number for Mario for public use for N’s quarterly financial report. Did they just guesstimate using an ATP or do they have the actual data they just typically choose never to make public? 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

Does anybody else feel the urge to play Can You Hear the Music? randomly from Oppenehiemer? Its a part of the score and it lives rent free in my head. I dunno, it just elicits some inexplicable emotions that I crave whenever I play it.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Like Uni just gave Nintendo an actual worldwide admissions number for Mario for public use for N’s quarterly financial report. Did they just guesstimate using an ATP or do they have the actual data they just typically choose never to make public? 

I tend to think it's very legit data instead of estimated stuff if it's included in quarterly financial reports for stockholders. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

Wait...what?

https://collider.com/coraline-screenings-box-office-5-million-fathom-events/

Fathom Events has announced in a press release today, “The acclaimed 2009 stop-motion epic was a huge box office hit for Fathom Events, LAIKA, and Park Circus this past Monday and Tuesday, grossing a combined $4.91 million in U.S. gross box office.

“The film was third in gross box office behind Barbie and Oppenheimer on both Monday and Tuesday but was FIRST in per screen average on both of those days ($3,000+ per screen).”

Due to demand, additional showings will take place on August 28 & August 29.

Neither BOM and the number include this $4.9m in their daily BO.

• Astonished 2

2 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I tend to think it's very legit data instead of estimated stuff if it's included in quarterly financial reports for stockholders. 

I’m inclined to think so too bc the number (168m I think) doesn’t line up with any ATP we typically use. More like $8 ATP. So must have been a lot of countries with significantly lower prices where it did well, and also maybe a lot of discount/non premium or 3D tix sold since it’s a family film. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

TDK sold around 70 million tickets. The average price in 2022-2023 is supposedly $10.50, so that’s how I came up with $735M. 

TDK sold more tickets than AVATAR no doubt