Issac Newton

Weekday #s | Aug 14-17 | Barbie #1 WB Domestic Film of ALL TIME, because it’s what she DESERVES.

22 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

15 years of inflation made its job. So it's not upsetting at all.

TDK had no stiff streaming competition, drop in theatrical attendance due to pandemic, another Nolan film releasing on the same day, shortened window before digital release, coming towards the end of a super crowded summer (2008 was crowded but nowhere near the bloodbath of 2023) etc. It also had the Heath Ledger effect to propel it.

Still, getting upset after 15 years is dumb.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

i've seen a lot of thinking that this movie's success is sticking it to the film bros somehow but it seems like it's been fully embraced by the film bros.

If the conservative reaction is anything to go by, seems to be a case of When you can't beat em, join em. Reminder that even Super Mario Bros was initially trashed for its feminist Princess Peach but then was quickly embraced by the same groups once it was obviously a hit. There are some weird takes popping up here and there (like in Deadline comments section) saying Barbie is anti-woke and a satire of the 2020 election 'steal' (!)

Can't look like a loser rooting against a bonafide winner so might as well try appropriating it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

If the conservative reaction is anything to go by, seems to be a case of When you can't beat em, join em. Reminder that even Super Mario Bros was initially trashed for its feminist Princess Peach but then was quickly embraced by the same groups once it was obviously a hit. There are some weird takes popping up here and there (like in Deadline comments section) saying Barbie is anti-woke and a satire of the 2020 election 'steal' (!)

Can't look like a loser rooting against a bonafide winner so might as well try appropriating it.

film bros are not (only) conservatives. Yes usually the term means men there are more inclined to like movies about men or more about men taste, but this doesn't mean they all are the exalted regressive haters of anything different most of these conservative influencers are. 

Edited by vale9001

3 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

i'm not talking about conservatives just the film bro r/movies types. before the movie even dropped they seemed mostly on board

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eeetooki said:

Plus this doesn't really make TDK's accomplishments less amazing. As a Nolan fan I am more focused on how Oppenheimer's currently doing lol.

Exactly. Barbie's run is phenomenal with jawdropping legs, no doubt about that. TDK had a very good run as well. 

I'm glad to see Oppy was able to have a good increase on Tuesday. Keeps Oppy ahead of TDKR's daily number, which is the type of pace that can lead to a total above $320 million. 

TDK will obviously keep the admissions title by a big amount (is it WBs #1 admissions all time?), so why be upset. A win for both. Also cool to see WB have its biggest successes the last decade with two female driven movies (Wonder Woman) when they tried so hard to push the uber stereotypically male targeted  Snyderverse as their bread and butter. 

They are leading the pack for breakthroughs for women in big budget Hollywood, and the ironic part is I don’t think they have tried to. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

TDK will obviously keep the admissions title by a big amount (is it WBs #1 admissions all time?), so why be upset. A win for both. Also cool to see WB have its biggest successes the last decade with two female driven movies (Wonder Woman) when they tried so hard to push the uber stereotypically male targeted  Snyderverse as their bread and butter. 

They are leading the pack for breakthroughs for women in big budget Hollywood, and the ironic part is I don’t think they have tried to. 

Excluding IMAX boost, TDK would be around $735M with 2023 prices. Where do you think Barbie will finish? I don't think it will be too far off from this $735M number. Should be fairly close to that in the end. Not that big of a difference in ticket sales. 

What kind of drop should we be expecting for Barbie on Cinema Day 8/27?

I'm expecting it to be flat from the previous weekend (TGM jumped 27%!). Having two 20M weekends back to back would be kind of insane. I think a lot of people will be going back to rewatch the movie on Cinema Day. 

Edited by Mojoguy

10 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Excluding IMAX boost, TDK would be around $735M with 2023 prices. Where do you think Barbie will finish? I don't think it will be too far off from this $735M number. Should be fairly close to that in the end. Not that big of a difference in ticket sales. 

What ticket price are you using? Shouldn’t it be around 900m before you factor in IMAX inflation? Surely IMAX inflation wasn’t that much?

At any rate, I am still targeting 675 or so for Barbie. Not very confident in 700 anymore. Still pretty hopeful on over Jurassic World. Remember some PLF inflation there too though. I highly doubt it gets very close to TDK admits. I feel like 50-55m I’d think, and I thought TDK was widely agreed to be over 65 

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

TDK had no stiff streaming competition, drop in theatrical attendance due to pandemic, another Nolan film releasing on the same day, shortened window before digital release, coming towards the end of a super crowded summer (2008 was crowded but nowhere near the bloodbath of 2023) etc. It also had the Heath Ledger effect to propel it.

Also true. 

28 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

What kind of drop should we be expecting for Barbie on Cinema Day 8/27?

I'm expecting it to be flat from the previous weekend (TGM jumped 27%!). Having two 20M weekends back to back would be kind of insane. I think a lot of people will be going back to rewatch the movie on Cinema Day. 

Based on past record high Sunday and last year CD, the upper bound of the single day admission should be around 8m-8.5m patron and with $4, that should translate to $35m on Sunday alone.  

• Like 1

TDK is most iconic film of the century. Barbie is merely a gigantic hit. TDK buzz alone > Barbenheimer collective. It was beyond immense. And then the film was beyond stunning electric high quality.

Nothing can or will change the fact that TDK = GOAT

Edited by excel1