kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers (actuals) | Aug 18 - 20 | 25.0M BLUE BEETLE | 21.1M BARBIE

51 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Anything over Antman Quantumania would be a win imo 

I didn’t care for CM and don’t have any interest in The Marvels, but is it realistic to expect that the sequel to a movie that grossed $1.1 billion will gross as low as $500M WW? I just don’t see it. I could see a Wakanda forever type drop, but not much more than that. 

• Like 1

People are probably overlooking the fact that Hispanic Americans love to go the movies in modern times. They fuel almost every big blockbuster, so that’s probably a big reason rep isn’t as big of a difference maker. Hispanics are already showing up to movies consistently. Idk, as someone with Mexican heritage, I have to admit I rarely know other Hispanics who get hyped over rep in media as much. But oddly enough, we haven’t been targeted as prominently and effectively as black and Asian American rep in recent years either.

Like Blue Beetle is just not very appealing to start with. It sounds silly. Imagine if instead of Black Panther we got Green Mosquito or something as MCUs big Black led superhero film. It’s instantly less appealing. 

1 hour ago, TomThomas said:

Not gonna happen if it's at least as good as the original. So far he did everything right, from changing the genre to make it fresh to casting Lady Gaga as Harley Quinn, those are all smart decisions and it should make it stand out again among other cbms.

I was kidding haha, joker 2 has a crazy amount of excitement from a whole new demographic through gaga whereas the marvels genuinely has nothing going for it lol

• Like 1

Shang Chi was good but it kind of suffers from having two really bland leads, which kind of hurts it in the long run. Leung and the fight choreography were all above and beyond the rest of the entire phase though.

31 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

People are probably overlooking the fact that Hispanic Americans love to go the movies in modern times. They fuel almost every big blockbuster, so that’s probably a big reason rep isn’t as big of a difference maker. Hispanics are already showing up to movies consistently. Idk, as someone with Mexican heritage, I have to admit I rarely know other Hispanics who get hyped over rep in media as much. But oddly enough, we haven’t been targeted as prominently and effectively as black and Asian American rep in recent years either.

Like Blue Beetle is just not very appealing to start with. It sounds silly. Imagine if instead of Black Panther we got Green Mosquito or something as MCUs big Black led superhero film. It’s instantly less appealing. 

Blue Beetles biggest problem has always been his name. The character is cool, the suit is amazing and the power set is so versatile, plus Jaime is a very relatable character. 

Then again Spider-Man, Batman, Ironman are ridiculous names as well but they’re considered cool now because of years of media exposure and being built up. Blue Beetle has a young fan base, so that bodes well for the future of the character, especially if Gunn sticks to his word and keeps him around in the DCU

• Like 1

As someone who had absolutely no nostalgia for any old Spider-Man movies and dreaded what it would be after hearing all the rumors and leaks, I loved No Way Home because it didn’t simply rely on cameos happening and actually allowed the decisions of its main character to drive every plot turn, ending that character in a significantly different place than he started.

The crossover characters actually have influence on the main character and play a part beyond just “Hey I know him!”. Sure there are things to nitpick, but I’ve never seen a blockbuster movie without things to nitpick.

Nobody has to enjoy anything, but to tell people they’re wrong for liking something, stuck in the moment, and failing to view critically beyond theater experience is just unfair.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ringedmortality said:

I gotta say though, white women making themselves a minority was really a brilliant PR move on their part

Yeah. I wouldn't call Barbie a movie helped by minorities representation. White women tend to be a big audience for different kind of media. 

Women have been undeserved by big blockbuster movies (especially due to the focus on action movies). However, (white) women are hardly an audience really ignored.

Edited by Kon

38 minutes ago, Mango said:

Shang Chi really lost me in the third act when it abandoned fun martial arts fantasy and became full on Marvel cgi battles. Other than that I quite enjoyed it.

This. The choreography went out the window and got replaced with muddled CG piles of crap. And, worst still, they had a very engaging familial drama, with a good father-son conflict and ended up squandering it, by closing it out fast and then having another 15 minutes of absolute CG dogshit. That movie went from a 9 to a 6 for me because of that third act.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ringedmortality said:

I gotta say though, white women making themselves a minority was really a brilliant PR move on their part

Under-represented in movie going demograhic, but that's likely due to the fact that romcoms are no longer prevalent as they once were before the Netflix / Streaming Golden Age. 

8 minutes ago, Kon said:

Yeah. I wouldn't call Barbie a movie helped by minorities representation. White women tend to be a big audience for different kind of media. 

Women have been undeserved by big blockbuster movies (especially due to the focus on action movies). However, (white) women are hardly an audience really ignored.

Women of any colour are really ignored by Hollywood

The third act hate for Shang Chi must be people thinking they have to hate McU third acts, idgi. It’s incredible southeast Asian mythology inspired big budget spectacle we never get to see and a great emotional payoff. 

No Way Home setup and plot devices are horrific, and that’s why it gets more hate after the hype of the first time fun wears off. Ultimate fan service comes at a price for your movie’s framework. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Heart 1

1 hour ago, Squire said:

I didn’t care for CM and don’t have any interest in The Marvels, but is it realistic to expect that the sequel to a movie that grossed $1.1 billion will gross as low as $500M WW? I just don’t see it. I could see a Wakanda forever type drop, but not much more than that. 

Wakanda Forever had 5 weeks of no competition. Marvels has a lot more competition and doesn’t have IMAX.

2 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

That's because the movie would be worse without the main storyline

Change it to a more white immigrant story, like say Italian or something, and the reviews drop. I know people don't want to admit that critics do go softer on that stuff, but come on.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Wakanda Forever had 5 weeks of no competition. Marvels has a lot more competition and doesn’t have IMAX.

There was also way more hype for Wakanda Forever after that first teaser than there has been for Marvels. Like the only place really looking forward to it is the marvel subreddit.

• Like 1