kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers (actuals) | Aug 18 - 20 | 25.0M BLUE BEETLE | 21.1M BARBIE

4 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

another character randomly pulling a skill (that it's been established takes months if not years to learn) from his own backside in a crunchingly clunky manner

To be fair, that's not really anyone's fault. Ned took America Chavez's role after Strange 2 was delayed. I suspect NWH deserves more credit for avoiding feeling clunky when it's objectively clunky in many places especially where they have to remove DS2 connections ("everyone who knows who peter parker is is trying to come here" was obviously a replacement for "multiversal incursion(?), universe going to pop unless they go back to their own timelines." 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Like raimi films but Tobey is the weakest in regards to acting of the 3 live action  spidermen.

I don't know, to me Holland is the weakest because he often comes across as wooden and he didn't have much to do besides cracking lazy jokes and being awkward near Zendaya. Both Tobey and Andrew had plenty of dramatic moments and scenes where they could show some range. Tobey was so iconic they still make memes with his version.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

The good x men films still hold up pretty well. Had a rewatch of the series during covid and was quite surprised.

X1 has some weird moments but overall still solid .

X2 is still really good.

First class is my personal favorite. Just dig all the young x men and fassbender magneto is rad AF. Ending is one my favorite moments in the series.

Days of the future past unites the old and new and it jells together pretty well. Quicksilver sequence is fantastic. And yeah it's better than lot of uniting old  new character stories today that rely so heavily on nostalgia and fanservice.

Logan speaks for itself.

Honestly I wish we would have more of the Evan Peters Quicksilver. 

Gonna get my No Way Home 2 cents in before the numbers start coming in. Apologies to those desperate for a change in topic. 

No Way Home is one of my favorite MCU films. I just love it so much. Now for those all pointing out the flaws in plotting and clunkiness and questionable character choices, I won't argue any of those. But despite all that, I really cared about the main trio in this movie. I cried twice which is the only time that has happened to me in an MCU film and so despite every brain criticism, I put more positive weight in the fact that it touched my heart. It really lets the emotional moments breathe. Holland devastated in the rooftop and then Mary Jane and Ned just coming and comforting him no questions asked. Their final goodbyes. I think every emotional moment just really resonated with me. 

Now of course if it didn't work for others that is perfectly fine. I just wanted to share why I think the movie is great and why I love it. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

It kind of sucks that all three versions of Spider-Man are so similar. I know there are subtle variations, but I wish there was a real reinvention of the character in one of the three live action versions. 

Really? Holland's version couldn't be more different from previous two, they changed the character completely from top to bottom, the only reinvention more radical than this is crazy versions featured in Spiderverses.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Really? Holland's version couldn't be more different from previous two, they changed the character completely from top to bottom, the only reinvention more radical than this is crazy versions featured in Spiderverses.

That’s so funny because I’d peg Garfield’s broody cool kid version as the outlier. It’s always interesting to see people’s different impressions of the same stuff. I remember the last time I watched his first one I wondered why it was so dark (both literally and figuratively) and then I remembered it was made in the wake of The Dark Knight. Interesting to imagine all The Dark Knight knock offs that may have been if The Avengers didn’t hit. 

11 hours ago, HummingLemon said:

Dark Knight > every Spider-Man movie combined

And I'm not even a DC fan

Spider-Man 2 > TDK. TDK > all the rest

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

The true ranking of Spiderman movies is...

Tom Holland movies

Tobey Maguire movies

Andrew Garfield movies

That said, Andrew Garfield was brilliant in Tom Holland's movie.  I don't know how he wildly improved, but he finally "got" Spiderman in that movie, and for me, it was his best Spiderman acting.  It made me want to see him again as Spiderman, whereas I thought Tobey was his worst Spiderman in Tom's movie - in fact, Tobey really goes 1, 2, 3, Tom for his Spiderman roles - he didn't age into the role and his movies didn't age him up well, either.  I really don't want to see him play the role again.

I agree Tobey isn't as good in 3 and NWH, but man, he elicits tears from me every time I watch Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 with Uncle Ben's death and then of course twice in Spider-Man 2 when he reveals the truth behind Uncle Ben's death to Aunt May, and "I'm Spider-Man no more".

Edited by Dragoncaine
  • Like 1

No Way Home isn’t a masterpiece in storytelling but it is an absolute home run on doing fan service. It’s clunky as shit, and the plot only operates on a “fuck it, this is what we’re doing” level.

There is some genuinely great stuff in there though, with character development on Holland’s part and stuff like Tobey interacting with a cured Doc Ock and Garfield getting his redemption. And of course Dafoe absolutely crushing every frame he’s in.

Its the definition of a “turn your brain off” movie like the Fast/Furious and Transformers movies try so hard to be.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

It's finally ahead. 😭

And look at the PTA. MI7 be losing hella screens but having solid holds regardless. I really think it would performed much better had it not been for Sound of Freedom and Barbenheimer.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 5