Borobudur

National Cinema Day Draw 8.5m admission | GT $17.4m | Barbie $15.1m | BB: $12.2m | Oppy: $8.2m | TMNT: $6.1m | Meg2: $4.8m

Shame about those updated numbers. Everyone other than Paramount is about to have a nasty morning. It's especially fascinating to see this event have virtually no effect on Oppenheimer.

Speaking of, I got to see it in laser today, as there is such a screen very close to where my family and I are staying for the week, and it was absolutely glorious. Granted, it's our chain's own laser projection-based format and not IMAX as those screens are currently occupied by Gran Turismo, but it was still a fantastic experience. Incredibly vibrant colours and much sharper image quality than the screens we have back home. It washed away the bitter taste left over in my mouth from when I saw it back home on an awful screen with a hideous green tint and blurry image quality. My money was well spent today indeed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

I feel like like TMNT should be a bigger deal than it is. Fantastic reviews and animation. Did families just choose Spiderverse and Barbie and ignore the rest of the summer? Did Bayturtle films destroy the brand? Or people just won't show up for animated TMNT after getting live action?

Why would you try to blame a film that grossed almost 500 million dollars worldwide and say that brought down the teenage mutant Ninja turtles name LM fao. All Michael Bay does is make for the most part which gigantic Blockbuster movies. 191 million dollars for teenage mutant Ninja turtles in 2014 is really quite impressive. It also sold almost $100 million dollars in post theatrical sales on hv. I wouldn't exactly say it's a hated movie.

• Like 4

Just now, baumer said:

Why would you try to blame a film that grossed almost 500 million dollars worldwide and say that brought down the teenage mutant Ninja turtles name LM fao. All Michael Bay does is make for the most part which gigantic Blockbuster movies. 191 million dollars for teenage mutant Ninja turtles in 2014 is really quite impressive. It also sold almost $100 million dollars in post theatrical sales on hv. I wouldn't exactly say it's a hated movie.

The one you mention (which, again, is NOT a Bay movie, so why even start defending him) had a sequel in 2016 that made half what the 2014 one did. So, yes, I wouldn't be surprised if the overall brand is in the gutter 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Shame about those updated numbers. Everyone other than Paramount is about to have a nasty morning. It's especially fascinating to see this event have virtually no effect on Oppenheimer.

Speaking of, I got to see it in laser today, as there is such a screen very close to where my family and I are staying for the week, and it was absolutely glorious. Granted, it's our chain's own laser projection-based format and not IMAX as those screens are currently occupied by Gran Turismo, but it was still a fantastic experience. Incredibly vibrant colours and much sharper image quality than the screens we have back home. It washed away the bitter taste left over in my mouth from when I saw it back home on an awful screen with a hideous green tint and blurry image quality. My money was well spent today indeed.

The IMAX and regular 70mm cameras definitely provide a great experience for this movie, even in a regular 4K laser screen like you mentioned. I was very impressed with a brand new 4K screen on this movie. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

So Charlie is estimating a 17.5% drop from Saturday to Sunday for Oppenheimer. Not much of a NCD boost for that movie. 

Couldn't you explain that though by saying most Saturday shows were probably already sold out? Therefore when you have the same amount of people seeing moving on Sunday as you do on Saturday but for a quarter of the price, it's going to drop.

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Couldn't you explain that though by saying most Saturday shows were probably already sold out? Therefore when you have the same amount of people seeing moving on Sunday as you do on Saturday but for a quarter of the price, it's going to drop.

Correct. It won’t drop anywhere near as bad on Monday compared to some of these other movies that had massive increases on Sunday. 

5 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

The one you mention (which, again, is NOT a Bay movie, so why even start defending him) had a sequel in 2016 that made half what the 2014 one did. So, yes, I wouldn't be surprised if the overall brand is in the gutter 

Bay didn't direct, but he was the producer on both films.

My take on the TMNT IP and why it hasn't managed to break out despite having a lot of things going for it: Trying to force the Turtles into live action since the 90s was a brand damaging mistake. A bunch of anthropomorphic creatures or characters that look outlandishly cartoonish (like Mario) leading a live action film always has limited appeal. Even the Scooby-Doo films relied on the popularity of the four real teenagers to be successful in the early 2000s

Maybe it was better suited to blow up as an animated Illumination franchise like Minions or Super Mario Bros. But for that it needed a rest on screen since the 90s like SMB

Edited by Spidey Freak

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Bay didn't direct, but he was the producer on both films.

Yes, as was Nolan on Man of Steel. Or Spielberg on Transformers. And so on and so on. They're not Bay movies, so it's ridiculous to somehow twist oneself into defending Bay as a great purveyor of entertaining blockbusters when he didn't direct the movies and MOST RELEVANT TO THE DISCUSSION, the sequel bombed, indicating that, yes, the most recent live action version was not well-liked.

6 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Yes, as was Nolan on Man of Steel. Or Spielberg on Transformers. And so on and so on. They're not Bay movies, so it's ridiculous to somehow twist oneself into defending Bay as a great purveyor of entertaining blockbusters when he didn't direct the movies and MOST RELEVANT TO THE DISCUSSION, the sequel bombed, indicating that, yes, the most recent live action version was not well-liked.

Yeah, Bay had nothing to do with those TMNT films like with Megan Fox being cast as Apirl. But seriously, calling them Bayturtles was just a quick way to refer to them instead of saying those 2010 TMNT films.

TMNT is not underperforming.  With a mere 70M budget it will make over 100M.. The reason it is not way higher is the brand is highly diluted due to all the animated shows they have.  In spite of that it made this much money and a horde of merchandise.  They are in the same tier of popularity stateswide as Batman and Spider-Man.

At issue, is the fact that “Gran Turismo’s” opening figure includes both the $1.4 million it earned in Thursday previews and the $3.9 million it generated in weeks of special pre-show screenings. Studios routinely fold Thursday preview grosses into their opening weekend results — Warner Bros. doesn’t dispute that. However, Sony does seem to be applying a pretty liberal idea of what constitutes an opening weekend by including its weeks of other screenings.

Without the preview screenings, “Gran Turismo” would have opened in second place with $13.4 million, Warner Bros. claims. Ultimately, it may not make much difference who comes out on top.

Just now, Issac Newton said:

At issue, is the fact that “Gran Turismo’s” opening figure includes both the $1.4 million it earned in Thursday previews and the $3.9 million it generated in weeks of special pre-show screenings. Studios routinely fold Thursday preview grosses into their opening weekend results — Warner Bros. doesn’t dispute that. However, Sony does seem to be applying a pretty liberal idea of what constitutes an opening weekend by including its weeks of other screenings.

Without the preview screenings, “Gran Turismo” would have opened in second place with $13.4 million, Warner Bros. claims. Ultimately, it may not make much difference who comes out on top.

If we hadn't had other movies doing EA multiple times separate from opening this year, including Barbie herself with an EA Wednesday night, I'd feel more sympathy,

Was this more egregious?  Probably.  But GT had to convince theaters to keep giving them the EA showtimes, so it's unlikely to work except in times of theatrical down time (like GT had being in mid-August)...