RyneOh1040

Taylor Swift || The Eras Tour Concert Film - October 13, 2023 | Comes to Disney+ w/ 5 bonus songs

On 10/17/2023 at 6:45 AM, dudalb said:

Ijust reas that Swift's take from the entire tour is going to be well over a billion dollars...

This was actually based on the original dates. With the extra Asian dates and the second half of the American tour in 2024, it's now looking like 2 billion. So over 2x the previous record holder, Elton John

trying to decide whether to watch this or not; the deciding factor is whether this will get a physical/digital release or not

do we have any indication that this could possibly be a theatrical-only thing?

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

8 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

trying to decide whether to watch this or not; the deciding factor is whether this will get a physical/digital release or not

nah it'll def be on a streaming service probably early 2024....have a feeling it's disney+

13 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

This is such an immersive experience on a big screen that watching it at home will feel completely different. It's definitely worth the nearly $20 ticket IMO.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

The chances of TET being a theatrical exclusive seem extremely low.

Taylor Swift's 4 other concert films (Speak Now, 1989, Reputation, and Lover) were all released straight to video.  It seems unlikely that she would suddenly decide to make a theatrical-exclusive movie now when it means she would miss out on tens of millions of dollars.

The Eras Tour concert videos and livestreams have tens millions, if not hundreds of millions of views.  There's clearly a ton of demand for a home version of the concert.

Theatrical re-releases domestically typically make very little.  Titanic probably sold ~130M tickets in its initial release but the 2023 re-release only made $15M.  Even Avatar (2009)'s re-release in 2022 which had sequel hype + 3D + footage for The Way of Water only made $24.7M. 

The Eras Tour film might be a good theatrical experience but it didn't benefit much from theater exclusive technology such as 3D and 4DX.  By far the biggest impact of a theater viewing (compared to watching it at home) would be the audience reaction but there could still be a re-release once in a while for die hard fans who want to dance and sing along. This also brings me to point 5...

A home video release will be the only way the overwhelming majority of her fans will be able to see The Eras Tour concert film after it leaves theaters.  If it wasn't for the small budget and high ATP, The Eras Tour would have bombed outside of a couple markets and it is looking like it won't get a Chinese release at all.  Almost all theaters in almost all markets would decline to show a re-release because the demand just isn't there.  The domestic market *might* get a wide re-release at some point, maybe UK/Australia/New Zealand too, but that will probably be it. 

Refusing a home video release of any sort would make many fans upset and would lead to massive piracy of any decent versions of the film.  

Edited by BOfficeStats

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

This is such an immersive experience on a big screen that watching it at home will feel completely different. It's definitely worth the nearly $20 ticket IMO.

It depends on the theater.

A standard showing in a theater where people are silent and don't move at all wouldn't be much different from a good theater setup. 

A PLF showing in a theater where people are singing and dancing is totally different.  

19 hours ago, Speedorito said:

They were smart to make this weekends only. Now it gets to claim the number one spot again over KOTFM and get all the headlines.

People might laugh it off, but I think this is a strategy that other big studios might actually follow. That generates an artificial demand that makes the weekend moviegoing experience an event. Taylor is schooling the old Hollywood model here with this trick. No wonder Nolan out of all people is impressed.

22 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

People might laugh it off, but I think this is a strategy that other big studios might actually follow. That generates an artificial demand that makes the weekend moviegoing experience an event. Taylor is schooling the old Hollywood model here with this trick. No wonder Nolan out of all people is impressed.

They might do that for truly "event" films but I don't think they would try that for a traditional movie.  Theater owners will get very angry if studios refuse to allow their movies to be screened for 3+ days out of the week.  

11 minutes ago, BOfficeStats said:

They might do that for truly "event" films but I don't think they would try that for a traditional movie.  Theater owners will get very angry if studios refuse to allow their movies to be screened for 3+ days out of the week.  

Yeah I’m thinking special cases and limited runs. I definitely could see Nolan pulling a stunt like that off.

so with some major market still to come (brazil and some other asian market) this could end at like 220-230M total global i guess (still waiting for a possible China release, there are rumours about it). 

Really great.

About the streaming-home video release: I think they will definitely sell it to some streaming platform but i don't know, a massive release like on netflix when half of the tour still have to happen seems strange. While a theater release still seems something "private" and "niche" a massive streaming release could give the idea of "all the world already watched it, even people are far away to be fans" so the tour is an old thing. 

Edited by vale9001

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

Swift shouldn't release the Eras movie on video. Keep it theater exclusive to make it special. Home media doesn’t sell anymore, and it would devalue her brand anyway.

https://deadline.com/2023/10/bts-yet-to-come-streaming-release-date-prime-video-1235575372/

If it makes money and lets people experience it again, I don't see how it would devalue her brand.  I'm sure it's a better experience in theaters than at home (for most people) but that's probably true for every concert film.