RyneOh1040

Taylor Swift || The Eras Tour Concert Film - October 13, 2023 | Comes to Disney+ w/ 5 bonus songs

7 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

For what i know it's like a visual movie of her last album. So basically a sequece of music videos. Honestly i don't think something like that has the same appeal of a concert, i don't see that making big money. 

If something it has to be a concert and she's probably the next after Taylor could make big money too. 

Yea a "visual album" wouldn't do well in theaters. If she did a full concert like Taylor is doing, she'd make good money. Not Eras Tour money, but still good money. 

1 minute ago, XXR's Eras Tour said:

Yea a "visual album" wouldn't do well in theaters. If she did a full concert like Taylor is doing, she'd make good money. Not Eras Tour money, but still good money. 

yeah people want to listen to the hits, not 15 songs of only one album they don't know. Something like that it's the real very very only for fans thing. Especially if you have to pay 15 dollars to see it. For free on Youtube is different. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Taylor has a much bigger and more insane cult than any other artist has ever had. Particularly in the age of social media, this type of cult following would never have been feasible before it. 

I would beg to differ. At his peak, The only one who could match Michael Jackson's fame and popularity was the Son of God himself, Jesus Christ. His appeal covered all demographics. White, Black, Hispanic, Asian, Kids, Teens, Adults, Elderly, etc. I don't think any modern artist could ever reach his level. People would faint at the mere sight of him. Angels would descend upon heaven itself to watch him perform. Infants moonwalked their way out of their mother's wombs to the tune of Billie Jean. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Madhuvan said:

The studios that passed on the film , I am willing to bet Disney is one of them :rofl:

I don't think it was ever an option for anyone to pass on it. I believe her and her team avoided the studios on purpose due to the strike. 

• Heart 1

Just now, AniNate said:

On the topic of Michael Jackson, there was that This is It documentary that came out after his death. I think his time having a real rabid fanbase had long passed by the time that came out though.

I was on the old Box Office Mojo forums when that was announced right after his death and there were a lot of predictions that it was gonna do $200mil+ domestic and the like and its performance felt very underwhelming. even Sony was calling a $50mil opening in their projections. 

That movie was actually kinda controversial with the fanbase though, many thought it was exploitative. And it not being a real concert movie but just rehearsals probably hurt it a bit too.

• Like 1

The Puck newsletter didn't say that the studios passed on this concert film, it only said that Team Swift was not content with their offers. The studios probably all offered her a streaming-only release (as is typical with concert films these days), with perhaps a limited theatrical release at best, but evidently Swift aimed for something bigger.

The biggest theatrical concert films are all from 10+ years ago, so the studios were likely hesitant to give her a full theatrical push. 

I remember tracking for This Is It being in the $100M range! Can't blame them for having no idea how well that was gonna do though, to call the media coverage of his death "relentless" or "exhaustive" around that time and the next several months after his passing would be an understatement.

Edited by filmlover

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I remember tracking for This Is It being in the $100M range! Can't blame them for having no idea how well that was gonna do though, to call the media coverage of his death "relentless" or "exhaustive" around that time and the next several months after his passing would be an understatement.

that movie is basically just the rehearsal of a never made show. Something wasn't even supposed to be filmed to became a movie (and this is important and makes the difference) Seems like a kinda of not official footage someone not even professional shoot. It's incredible how much money made considering what the final product really was.

21 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

that movie is basically just the rehearsal of a never made show. Something wasn't even supposed to be filmed to became a movie (and this is important and makes the difference) Seems like a kinda of not official footage someone not even professional shoot. It's incredible how much money made considering what the final product really was.

Even with how much of a punchline Jackson had become until his death, he maintained a pretty active and vocal fanbase. $252M worldwide for what was essentially a compilation of raw footage just speaks to how much potential an actual "made for cinema" concert film of his would've made.

I wonder if we will see a comeback of the concert movie in theaters because of this. There was a small wave in the late 2000s/early 2010s with the Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus thing and the Justin Bieber documentary at the height of Bieber Fever but around that same time the Jonas Brothers movie during their Disney days kind of came and went with a shrug. Same with the One Direction movie near the peak of their mania. The Katy Perry one was a nonstarter too.

Edited by filmlover

35 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Even with how much of a punchline Jackson had become until his death, he maintained a pretty active and vocal fanbase. $252M worldwide for what was essentially a compilation of raw footage just speaks to how much potential an actual "made for cinema" concert film of his would've made.

I wonder if we will see a comeback of the concert movie in theaters because of this. There was a small wave in the late 2000s/early 2010s with the Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus thing and the Justin Bieber documentary at the height of Bieber Fever but around that same time the Jonas Brothers movie during their Disney days kind of came and went with a shrug. Same with the One Direction movie near the peak of their mania. The Katy Perry one was a nonstarter too.

Sure. But the only reason that kinda of thing was a theater release was cause he dead (and made so many Money too). Or It was really nothing more than some rehearsal special for a cable TV. 

Edited by vale9001

48 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I watched that movie in IMAX. It wasn't formatted for IMAX unfortunately so the picture was just about a quarter of the screen. The sound was great though. Unfortunately Jackson was saving his voice and full choreography for the concerts so the songs while still great are not in their best possible form. I have to applaud the filmmakers restraint - they had footage of the crew at rehearsal getting to know of Jackson's death and they didn't use it in the movie. In fact there's no news footage of his death in the movie at all.

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I watched that movie in IMAX. It wasn't formatted for IMAX unfortunately so the picture was just about a quarter of the screen. The sound was great though. Unfortunately Jackson was saving his voice and full choreography for the concerts so the songs while still great are not in their best possible form. I have to applaud the filmmakers restraint - they had footage of the crew at rehearsal getting to know of Jackson's death and they didn't use it in the movie. In fact there's no news footage of his death in the movie at all.

Yes with not official footage i mean this. Clearly Jackson didn't knew he was filmed to make a documentary or something so he's not even pushing It or really performing and thinking to entertain people. They seems like private moments in some way. So i can understand why fans can think It was wrong. We never knew if he would have been ok with the idea to release this specific material.