Shawn Robbins

Weekend Thread (9/8-10) | Nun 3.1M Previews

5 minutes ago, Eric the Nun said:

Worst part is that it'll probably be the biggest opening until Taylor comes around. At least we'll still be far ahead of last September I suppose?

It definitely seems like it is gonna play better OS so WB will still smile by the end, but The Conjuring Universe is running on fumes at this point. The goodwill has all but vanished.

If this one cracks 30M I can definitely see it being the biggest one until Tay Tay. The only competition is The Exorcist and that feels like a major bomb.

Sounds about right to be honest. This is an out of date sequel to a movie no one really liked nor wanted more of, in a franchise which has frankly run its course, especially considering its creator is leaving the studio after Aquaman 2 this December. Why this one was given to the same director who poisoned the well to begin with is beyond me.

• Like 1

Just now, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Sounds about right to be honest. This is an out of date sequel to a movie no one really liked nor wanted more of, in a franchise which has frankly run its course, especially considering its creator is leaving the studio after Aquaman 2 this December. Why this one was given to the same director who poisoned the well to begin with is beyond me.

Michael Chavez failed upwards twice.

Also, while you're all here, I'd really like to know why there are two bots shilling for "male enhancement" products collecting dust on this forum. They were seemingly both created in August of 2018, and then promptly abandoned the very same day without creating any content whatsoever. This new birthday tab sure is exposing some stuff I don't think even @Shawn knew existed.

• Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Between him doing that and Nia Vardalos somehow getting a third Greek Wedding greenlit, it sure does make one wonder just how much blackmail and dirty secrets there are in Hollywood.

No offense, but a Greek Wedding 3 isn't that unbelievable. This was independently produced for starters, with Vardalos, Hanks, and Rita Wilson putting up most of the bread. And despite making significantly less, Greek Wedding 2 made 5 times its production budget, and likely sold well on digital and home video. So with these movies being so cheap to make and likely having solid upsides both theatrically and in the ancillary market...yeah, why wouldn't you make a third movie?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric the Nun said:

No offense, but a Greek Wedding 3 isn't that unbelievable. This was independently produced for starters, with Vardalos, Hanks, and Rita Wilson putting up most of the bread. And despite making significantly less, Greek Wedding 2 made 5 times its production budget, and likely sold well on digital and home video. So with these movies being so cheap to make and likely having solid upsides both theatrically and in the ancillary market...yeah, why wouldn't you make a third movie?

It's also easy home watching. Someone decides to watch the first movie and sees there's a second and thinks "Hmmm... they made a second one, let's watch it" and that ends and they see "wait... there's a third one? Why not I guess"

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Eric the Nun said:

Worst part is that it'll probably be the biggest opening until Taylor comes around. At least we'll still be far ahead of last September I suppose?

Don’t worry guys, The Creator will save the day at the end of the month!

(I say in denial as I rock back and forth in the corner.)

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's also easy home watching. Someone decides to watch the first movie and sees there's a second and thinks "Hmmm... they made a second one, let's watch it" and that ends and they see "wait... there's a third one? Why not I guess"

Exactly. These films are prime material for "background noise you put on while doing Sunday chores".

• Like 1

The Nun II likely was cheap to make so WB is going to making money either way.

The BFGW films are likely still profiting from the first film alone so it doesn't really matter if this new one doesn't do well. This film likely only cost $20-25m so Focus Features and indeed Playtone aren't losing much.

(1) The Equalizer 3 Sony Pictures $1,500,000 -26%   3,965 $378 $49,758,087 7
- (2) Barbie Warner Bros. $620,000 -14% -52% 3,586 $173 $614,574,397 49
- (4) Gran Turismo: Based on a … Sony Pictures $355,000 -18% -54% 3,856 $92 $32,311,144 14
- (5) Blue Beetle Warner Bros. $280,000 -19% -59% 3,316 $84 $59,928,873 21
- (-) Meg 2: The Trench Warner Bros. $88,000 -35% -67%
  • Like 1