Shawn Robbins

Weekend Thread (9/8-10) | Nun 3.1M Previews

That’s a fine start for The Nun II, $85.3m worldwide opening weekend, cost $35m. Always enjoy seeing horror on top. Will see it this week. 

Steep decline for Equalizer 3. But between that, The Nun and MBFGW3, it’s a solid start to September.

Wish Bottoms had expanded better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Borobudur said:

It is gonna be close between Barbie and JW, if Barbie followed NWH from here, Barbie will fall between $645m-$650m.

because of imax release it doesnt have any sense to compare with other movies. this week it should be around 8 mln and 623 total, 30-40 percent drops would add 12-18,5 and 635-641,5 total, plus imax. 

Edited by 1Robert1

This platform release thing rarely ever works unless it's a huge breakout hit like EEAAO.  99% of the time it does no favors, as by the time the movie reaches many theaters, buzz is already dying out.

MGM doing it for Bottoms is dumb. They are better off going limited for one week in a handful of theaters, then going fully wide, or going wide straight away like Talk to Me. 

17 hours ago, filmlover said:

The previous one did better than expected (it ended up doing just fine as counterprogramming released the same weekend as monstrous opener Batman v Superman) considering how wildly untimely it was. Even though diminishing returns are clearly the MO (as expected for a movie whose blockbuster success can't be compared to any other $200M+ grosser and the lengthy gaps between each sequel), the budgets being low enough have made turning a profit quite easy for these movies.

Weirdly the second one was on TV yesterday and I ended up watching it, I agree with @Eric the Nun's point being the perfect background movie to do chores with and I did chuckle a few times as well. 

On 9/10/2023 at 6:55 AM, SchumacherFTW said:

Completely off topic, Jaws 2 is pretty solid, it doesn't deserve to be lumped in with the reputation of 3D and the Revenge

I agree 1000%. I like Jaws 2 almost as much as I like jaws. It's a completely different story and yet it's still thrilling it has one of the best deaths in any horror movie in my opinion.

23 hours ago, Bob Train said:

This platform release thing rarely ever works unless it's a huge breakout hit like EEAAO.  99% of the time it does no favors, as by the time the movie reaches many theaters, buzz is already dying out.

MGM doing it for Bottoms is dumb. They are better off going limited for one week in a handful of theaters, then going fully wide, or going wide straight away like Talk to Me. 

Bottoms meh expansion is a unfortunate one but it signal more of the limited appeal of the movie to wider audience, rather than failure of the platform release itself. Bros went wide right away last year but still flop at $11m. I see  the lack of effectiveness of platform release lies with the fact that studio don't have the desire to properly run a platform release. To them, theatrical release for mid-small movies nowadays is more of a tool to raise a awareness for streaming or digital sales. This is a big change in direction as compared to pre-Covid when platform release was truly designed to maximize the theatrical revenue, rather than digital sales.   

• Like 1